How do I stop malicious face attacks?

Moderator: Mods

Lila_

How do I stop malicious face attacks?

Post by Lila_ »

I have been very patient with my young ringneck's biting because I did my research before buying and know that chewing me is something she just has to do for a while.
But for the second time in 4 days she has suddenly and viciously attacked my face. She never bites my hands THIS hard!! My lip and cheek are swelling up and bruised. It was completely unprovoked and I wasn't even looking at her (she was on my shoulder). She knows she did wrong, because she immediately ran away!

This is not acceptable. If I had wanted a bird who would take chunks out of my lips and face I would have bought a cockatoo. My sister's IRN of similar age who hangs out with Dodo in the daytime never does this.

What am I supposed to do about these attacks? If she chews my hands I can cope, but I challenge anyone to have their bird randomly attack their face and NOT react with a scream. This is really upsetting.

How do I get through to her that this behaviour may not continue?
I cant just ignore it - I cant afford a plastic surgeon to put my eyelid back together or sew my lips back on.
alana8819

Post by alana8819 »

dont let your bird sit on your shoulder until they have learnt biting isnt acceptable cookie isnt allowed on my shoulder as he does the same he rarely bites hands anymore but still cant resist a good bite on the ear cheek nose etc i know it hurts and you cant help but react to a bite on the face so just dont let your birdy near it.
Donna

Post by Donna »

If you know your bird will attack your face and she has done so 2 times why do you still allow her on your shoulder? :? A parrot will be a parrot any time any where. It's just not the Cockatoos that do this. If your going to own a parrot your going to get bit plain and simple. All birds are different and have their own personality just because your sisters bird has not done this YET doesn't mean it won't. :roll:

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
Lila_

yes

Post by Lila_ »

She has been fine sitting on my shoulder for the past 7 weeks that I've had her. There has been no reason for me to expect this so naturally I have let her onto my shoulder.
I am aware that they bite, please read first paragraph of my post. I was looking for a way to prevent her from biting my FACE.
Donna

Post by Donna »

I did read your first paragraph but you have to understand you are dealing with a wild animal and you must treat it like one. Never trust them on your shoulder. That's how you prevent a face bite.

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
Melika

Post by Melika »

It's true. The only way to prevent a face bite is to not let your bird onto your shoulder.

I don't trust Hane on my shoulder. I hand-reared him and he'll let me even lift his wings so I can check him and pet him, touch his tail too- all without a problem. But I just can't trust him on my shoulder. He'll try to bite through my clothing (and will), bite my ears and even pull strands of my hair out.

Hane just isn't nice on shoulders. Otherwise, he's a great bird!

Hane's brother, Tsume, is good on shoulders. He never gets cocky or bites. He even gives 'kisses' to my sister.

Birds are wild, and they cannot be trained like dogs. My first rule of bird behavior- A bird is NOT a dog. Parrots are not easy and there's some things we just have to work around. Some behaviors are simply part of their personality.

I know it's unexpected, after having your bird on your shoulder until now. But be aware that all parrots will go through many behavioural changes as they mature and age. It's just a part of their growing up. :)

She may actually be biting your hands just as hard, but our facial skin is much more tender so will show bruising and cuts easily, as compared to our hands.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
catschair2

Post by catschair2 »

Magellan has actually bitten my face a few times lately, and she never has before (I have had her over a year). She is also fascinated by the mirror all of the sudden, so I sorta wonder if she sees a reflection in my glasses? A minute later she is back to "preening" me and making kissy noises (and expecting a smacker on the beak, which she gets cuz she is just too cute).
MCS
Lila_

update

Post by Lila_ »

you know when i put this post on i was really at my wits end with dodo.

she still bites my face from time to time, everyone at work thinks its really funny.
but she doesnt do it maliciously. she does it in response to a certain tone of voice i use (normally when saying DONT BITE MEEEE or when im whinging). i think she does it because the sound my whiney voice makes sounds to her like the aggressive whiney noises she makes right before she bites me. i guess she feels she needs to pre-emt the attack im threatening her with.

this notion has been reinforced by her burning and undeserved hatred for my brother. all he has to do is open his mouth to talk and she's ready to take his eyes out, forgetting all the times hes brought her treats and let her crap on his clean shirts.

its good to know this, because when they bite you its hard not to take it personally. face bites have reduced significantly now that i know to check whos on my shoulder before i start whinging :)