IRN biting

Moderator: Mods

Kimberleymules

IRN biting

Post by Kimberleymules »

Hi there! I'm Kim from New Zealand
I've had my IRN for a month now. He is coming up to five months..
I'm still in the early days with Indie and trying to make a strong bond but i'm having trouble.
I keep him in his big outside cage while I'm at work during the day so he can chat to the wild birds and bring him inside to his cage i keep in my room so when i get home from work we can hang out. I let him sit on top of the cage and sometimes he flies around the room but always goes back to his cage, which is cool.

The trouble I'm having is his biting. When i reach in his outside cage so i can transfer him inside he tries to bite me and makes it really difficult to get him. I don't want him to be scared of me so I've stopped doing this (unless he's sleepy then the process is easy) So I've been having to roll his outside cage (which is thankfully on wheels) Through my house to my room
And then let him come out on his own time .. but that is quite a mission.

Even when i slowly put my hand out to pat him he bites (Unless he's sleepy. Then he lets me) Anyway.. I'm wondering if he is going through the bluffing stage or does he just not like me/trust me yet? :(
MissK

Re: IRN biting

Post by MissK »

I think he isn't trusting the hand.
-MissK
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Have you been rewarding him for stepping up?
Kimberleymules

Post by Kimberleymules »

No i guess not. I will start rewarding him for stepping up when/if he does. Thanks :)

Does anyone know how long the bluffing stage generally goes on for?
MissK

Post by MissK »

Some, myself included, feel the bluffing stage is not really a stage but a contrived explanation for the bird's natural response to unwelcome stimulus. Consider the words of Mr. Marley ("Every little action, there's a reaction") and examine how you're treating the bird from HIS perspective. It might be enlightening.
-MissK
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

http://goodbirdinc.blogspot.com.au/2015 ... f.html?m=1

Check out her other posts and videos too. Heaps of good stuff in there!
Parrot training is a personal challenge in how to sell your idea of what you want the parrot to do to the parrot ;)
Kia Ora btw