Sleeping

Moderator: Mods

lauramelvin

Sleeping

Post by lauramelvin »

Hello all!! I have a 8 week old ringneck. I have had her for two weeks now. She is flying already and has since the second day I had her (I was amazed by this). She quit showing interest in her baby food so I mashed cooked veggies and she went nuts and couldn't get enough. So I just mash the veggies and add a little baby food in. Her feathers have come in nicely and she preens them all the time. The last two nights she has taken to clutching the corner of her cage to sleep. What is going on? Is this a natural sleep position for Indian Ringnecks? Is she upset about something? She naps during the day on her perch with her head tucked. I have a Senegal who has been upset because I have been making him sleep inside his cage at night. Before I got her he was my only pet and was so good about staying on his cage that I would let him sleep on top. I keep a small night light on.
Thanks
Laura
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Congrats on your 8 week old baby. My IRN is too 8 weeks old. She naps alot like a baby. She sleeps with her head and one foot tucked. Good luck.

Does your baby make much noise yet?

Does your baby keep one eye closed more often than the other? Mine keeps her left eye closed more often than the right. I think she may have something in it? I have been wiping it with a wet, warm cloth.
doremon

Post by doremon »

Hi! As long as your IRN does not sit at the bottom of the cage and is perching, I think it should be alright. I am not sure for IRN, but for other birds such as cockatiel, if they sit at the bottom of the cage, it may be signs of sickness. If that is the case, it may be good to have the bird checked by the vet.

Regards
Doremon
lauramelvin

Post by lauramelvin »

She only clings to the corner of the cage to sleep at night, if I take her from there and put her on a perch she will stay on the perch, but not tuck her head and foot like during her naps. She does not go to the bottom of her cage if she can help it. I bought some grapevine perches tonight and will put them in her cage tomorrow to see if that helps(Got home too late). Right now she only has the round perches that come with the cage and they are kind of slippery, maybe that is it?
She closes both eyes but will open one a lot, but my Senegal does that during his naps too.She is so sweet!!!
There was a blue IRN in the pet shop that was 2 yrs old that didn't like my uncle but loved my aunt. Let her pet her head and just kind of purred and whistled and leaned her head back for more scratches!!! I can't wait until my baby gets bigger and shows this kind of affection!! (Yes I will keep in mind about the bluffing stage, I will think back to that bird and what to expect and strive for once that stage is over).
Thank you both for the replies. I hope your little one's eye is okay.
Laura
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

The slippery perch could absolutely be it! My 8 wk old IRN has a slippery perch to which she avoids because it causes her to fall forward or backwards when she relaxes and she has to catch herself. She now avoids that perch. Process of elimination. I would bet you she wanted to perch but kept her foot on the cage to keep from slipping back and forth when she relaxed! Good thinking Mom, proud of you.
Mom2Marty

Covering Cage at Night?

Post by Mom2Marty »

I have a 3 month old, Marty, who has a very calm, sweet disposition. I also have two canaries. I've always covered by canaries at night. Should I cover Marty? When I start to place his blanket on the cage, he tends to act aggressive toward it, so maybe he's still a bit scared or just doesn't like covered.

He's my first ringneck and have had no behavior problems. When I first got him, he wanted to nip, but I'd hold on to his beak and just love on him.. He does mouth my fingers and skin, but doesn't bite.
Marty's Mom, Vicky
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

No, please never cover your IRN's cage. They are sensitive and feel too isolated.
Mom2Marty

Post by Mom2Marty »

Thank you, Mikaela. I've left him uncovered the past couple of nights and he seems to rest just fine.
Marty's Mom, Vicky
lauramelvin

Post by lauramelvin »

My Senegal Joe hates to be covered and will flap about, I don't think my IRN Jade likes it either so I don't cover her.
I put a small cement perch in the area where she has been clinging and she perched there last night but then switched to clinging so I am not sure what she is doing. She wants to be as close to Joe as she can get. The corner of the cage she likes is the closest to Joe's cage. I just wish he liked her as much LOL, but they still need time to adjust. When I supervise their time together they can sit okay sometimes but must be watched closely. Joe is 15 months old and Jade is only about 9 weeks now. She is only slightly smaller than he is.
Greg Sujecki

Post by Greg Sujecki »

Mylo,sleeps with top of cage covered also half the walls of the cage is covered so only one front half is open for him to sleep.I personnally don't have a problem with his sleeping for he prefer's the covered area to sleep in,maybe i'm just lucky. :)
Greg, Mylo and the flock!
doremon

Post by doremon »

Hello, I have not much experience with my IRN because he's been sleeping with us (and our cockatiel) in the bedroom on a small playgym that we made! The only time he is sleeping in the cage is when we are away and have to leave him with someone else or at home. It seems that he has no problem sleeping with a cover on so far though.

Regards
Doremon
hodad66

Post by hodad66 »

I have always covered all of my birds for sleep. Skyler, my current,
blue, IRN plays a little game.
To let me know that he wants to go to bed he circles his perches &
then fluffs up. He will do this until I come over to cover him.
The funny part is that when I start to cover him He acts all mad & bites
at the cover. To me, it seems to be a game as he quickly settles down for the night.

Sunny, my Lutino Ringneck
used to do the same act but would beg to "go to bed" when the time
came.

The clinging to the cage seems to be an IRN trait. I worried at first
also but then Skyler got even more bizzar..... he would hold one side
of the cage & the other foot would hold a plastic chain. He looked like
he was a gymnast doing an "iron cross". This is still one of his favorite
positions... :shock:
Greg Sujecki

Post by Greg Sujecki »

great pic's hodad66,like them. :D Mylo play's his trick too when l put him to sleep where he will climb to the outer area which is not covered and wait there till l leave.Then when l come back to switch the light off in about 20 minutes and say goodnight ,he makes this argk noise as if to say #%$^ o*f leave me alone l'm trying to sleep now?? :lol:
Greg, Mylo and the flock!
intog

Re:

Post by intog »

Mikaela wrote:No, please never cover your IRN's cage. They are sensitive and feel too isolated.

I know this is an old topic but is this true? I've noticed my 10 week old IRN sleeps ALOT. He eats fine and preens himself, but mostly he sleeps.
Rueae

Re: Sleeping

Post by Rueae »

Briar sleeps in the top left corner of her cage. :3
One foot on the horizontal bars on her right and the other on the top of her cuttlebone.
She'll still nap on her perches, but this seems to be her favorite place to sleep for long periods of time.

A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song.
zammits

Re: Sleeping

Post by zammits »

Hi pls can anyone help me about this i have a 3/4 wk old yellow irn he/she makes loads of sounds,is it normal?another thing which is worrying me is he/she keeps one eye closed especially the right one but he often do it even with the left shall i take it to the vet is he sick or something?