Baby behaviour

Moderator: Mods

tammy

Baby behaviour

Post by tammy »

I am a proud new IRN owner. My baby is about six weeks old and blue. I have had him/her for five days. I am still hand feeding. I am a novice at keeping parrots, but so far am enjoying my bird tremendously. Haven't decided on a name as yet, thought I would wait and see what his character might through out. I have a question in the following behaviour if he/she hears me he /she will start calling. Does the smae if I walk out the roomor sees me going past. Is this to get my attention? I sometimes stop and talk to him/her but not always. Also when he/she spots me he/she bobs his/her head up and down, even when I am feeding him/her. Is this normal or should I worry. Also how long will I still need to hand feed?

Donna

Post by Donna »

If there is nothing he needs at that moment and is just trying to get your attention ignore it.

Baby IRN's normally wean at about 10 to 14 weeks old. You can start offering him veggies and fruit now but he will most likely play with it but then he will start tasting it. Cheerios and Fruit Loops are good to let him play with right now.

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
leo

hi

Post by leo »

hi..
my baby lutino also did excextly the same...
yup, ignore him when asking for atttention...

i wean my tango at 9 week old...i think he will slowly lost interest in the handfeeding...

till now he still like to bob his head...he is 13 week old now...hehe
guys, if i offend you in any way, please let me know....don't keep it to yourself....okay.tango is FE-male.............
tammy

Thanks

Post by tammy »

Thanks for the info. I thought I was doing something wrong. Leo your baby is very cute.

Donna thanks for the feedback.
leo

hi

Post by leo »

thanks, but now he is much bigger ang longer...haha...post your baby pic tooplease...hehehe...thanks
guys, if i offend you in any way, please let me know....don't keep it to yourself....okay.tango is FE-male.............
Melika

Post by Melika »

They do the same to their birdie parents. It's their way of saying, "MOM, DAD- I'm over here! Feed me! ME! Me! Me! Me!" :D

The bobbing stimulates the parents to regurgitate food- it's instinct.

You might have more success with warm steamed veggies (carrots are a favourite steamed) mashed for her to try first, since it's closer to her formula's temperature and she's used to that. Any mushy veggies, like cucumber and squash were favourites of our chick's served cold. We would put a tiny bit on our fingers and have them eat it that way the first few times. :)
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
leo

hi

Post by leo »

hi...tango don't really like veg or fruit...but he still eat them a bit...he love his pellet the most i guess...i think is alright right as pellet already has balance nutients...

hi tammy...how was your blue baby?
tammy

Hi Leo

Post by tammy »

My baby is wonderful and starting to wean now. I have called him/her Jaja. Jaja loves his/her fruit espesially apples. And is getting a mischievious personaity too. I work from home and he/she loves chewin my paperwork while sitting on my shoulder.