When do the rings appear, talking start?

Moderator: Mods

brockw82

When do the rings appear, talking start?

Post by brockw82 »

Hello all, I'm new to the forum. I just purchased a male Lutino from a store about three weeks ago. He was sold as a male and, assuming they are correct, he was hatched on February 7th.

When will the characteristic rose colored ring start to appear on Rocco?

I also try to say a few phrases repeatedly to him every day --- he doesn't speak yet but was wondering when they usually start or if I'm too late and purchased him at an age where he won't start.

Thanks for all the help and look forward to chatting with you all!

Andy
Gemstone

Post by Gemstone »

hey.
the ring will start coming thru at about age 2.
as for talking IRNs generally learn to talk between 9months and 1 year.
i suggest starting with whistles (woof whistle, dog call ect)
they are very easy for a bird to learn and will give you in indicator of when they should be able to learn new sounds.
Adam and Dude
Amazonite

Post by Amazonite »

Amazon is 1 year and 1mth old and only does the whistles and says hello but not often so you have nothing to worry about, every bird is different some will talk and others wont.
Sharlene and Amazon
Melika

Post by Melika »

But it can take up to three years for the ring to appear. It's a game of patience.

As was said, some birds will talk and some won't. Just encourage him by talking to him often, using the same words a lot.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Yep like has already been said :wink:

My lutino began to get his ring in at 16 months, but my blue started at aroung 24- 26 months.

Talk, alot, repeatedly until you are sick of hearing yourself say the things you want your bird to say and then some.. lol .. Tell them everything you are doing, step up, ni ni's, want to come out, I love you, kiss your mumma, want a treat, is that yummy, don't you bite and on and on. Once s/he feels settled and adopts you as his/her new flock s/he should begin to copy your sounds.

My Blue male Kai talks really well, my lutino male Jordan also, they both started around 1 yr. Pickle my Green male has just gone 1 and has us and the other two birds talking up a storm, but hasn't uttered one word yet and Our Blue's mate Mickey she hasn't picked up any words in the year and a half we have had her either. All depends on the individual bird aswell. But we love them all the same :D
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

julie

Post by julie »

We must really talk alot at my house because a couple of my aviary birds talk too. Indie didnt get his ring until he was older and we were told the he was a female and that he wouldnt be tameable.