he bites me:(

Moderator: Mods

poliana

he bites me:(

Post by poliana »

I have a irn of 6 months.
sometimes...actually almost all the time when I come close to him he bites me.Is this hapening because he is scared of me so he attacks me..to protect him?I don't think so because sometimes he comes to me and after a wile if I try to touch him he bites me.Or how can I teach him not to bite everything..my hand first, my clothes, the wires from my computer..etc.
Thank you very much.
nil

Post by nil »

hi poliana
no the bird doesnt affraid you and you dont do something wrong.
your bird is a adolescent now and this behavior is common for this age ( bitting stage).
i have the same problem with mine, 7 months now.
poliana

Post by poliana »

nil wrote:hi poliana
no the bird doesnt affraid you and you dont do something wrong.
your bird is a adolescent now and this behavior is common for this age ( bitting stage).
i have the same problem with mine, 7 months now.

aha...so it will just disapear in a few months maybe?without me doing something??I am afraid that if I don't teach him not to bite me and everything else, so if I don't show him that is not ok to bite..he will continue like this....I must wait and try to get close to him...and stay away when he tries to bite me?
thank you very much for your answer
Melissa

Post by Melissa »

unfortunately the only advise that i have been given and it does work is just to ignore it - my fred went through a really vicous stage so i started to pick him up and take him in and out of the perch with a it but it did not get any better until i went back to my hand and let him know he didnt hurt me when he bit me no matter how he grinded that beak! i know its really hard to put your hand out when youve been turned into hamburger meat but dont flinch or move your hand back and forth - when fred lunges at me i push through the bite and tell him firmly (and loudly to cover my yelp of pain!) to step up and after a few months we had it down just last week for the first time EVER he let me pet him all over his head and neck without trying to eat me.....good luck and be strong! remember he's a teenager! he doesnt understasnd why he does it either!
nil

Post by nil »

i hope our birds stop this painful hobby some time.
i dont know something good for that.
Lazaros come and play with me and everything is ok and suddenty he is going aggresive and bite me.
:shock:
nil

Post by nil »

i admire you melissa you are so strong! :)
this bite hurts so much.. :lol:
Amazonite

Post by Amazonite »

All i can say is take the bite dont pull away or yell as this becomes a game for them as they get a reaction.

Amazon does this sometimes (the biting) i now ignore him when he does this and i try very hard not to let him know it hurts.
Sharlene and Amazon
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

One fact new bird owners should know: Birds bite. :wink: For many different reasons too. Just like us, they go through adolescents and all they want to do is push your boundries! Birds like to play games and push the limits of what they can and cannot do. If you let this go on, you could end up with one mean overbearing birdy. Trick is, do not react. Don't even give them the satisfaction of knowing they hurt you. Sometimes we have to train ourselves to train the bird. It took me a while to not feel the pain immediately. If you have to cuss and yell, learn to hold it in.. calmly put the bird on the floor or in the cage (if it is out with you), turn you back and walk away. :wink:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
poliana

Post by poliana »

Lauren wrote:One fact new bird owners should know: Birds bite. :wink: For many different reasons too. Just like us, they go through adolescents and all they want to do is push your boundries! Birds like to play games and push the limits of what they can and cannot do. If you let this go on, you could end up with one mean overbearing birdy. Trick is, do not react. Don't even give them the satisfaction of knowing they hurt you. Sometimes we have to train ourselves to train the bird. It took me a while to not feel the pain immediately. If you have to cuss and yell, learn to hold it in.. calmly put the bird on the floor or in the cage (if it is out with you), turn you back and walk away. :wink:

well..as I heard only being ignorant may be usefull..because he needs a lot of love. when he bites me, I take him away, I stop talking with him, but he doesen't leave me alone..I go away and he comes to me and bites my shirt:), tring to climb on me..
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Be persistent. They wont learn overnight. All takes time. :wink: Have you tried putting him in his cage and shutting the door? Or you walk into another room? Just keep showing him your not hurt, but biting doesn't get him anything.
Melissa

Post by Melissa »

i just wanted to say really quickly that you can put him back in the cage but he may start biting MORE to get back into the cage - it all depends on what motivates him. if he likes being out then yea thats a good 'time out' spot but if he prefers his cage you probably dont want him to connect biting with you with getting to go in his fav spot...... just a though
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Of course. Your absolutely right. :wink: Same goes with any bite though. Ignore the bird.

I think its a little different if they are chewing on objects you don't want them to. If your bird is biting wires, cables and things you don't want them to chew around the house, your going to have to make the place as bird safe as possible and provide more chew toys to distract him. But I realize sometimes its hard to get everything out of the way. Thats when I pick them up and move them, distract them or put them in the cage. After a while they get the idea that thats not for chewing. Thats just what I do because mine are out all day. It worked with my 7 year old. He now only chews the fly screens and roof if Yoda is encouraging him to! and quickly stops when I see him doing it. :roll:

If your birds clipped it will make it easier to just put him on the floor away from you when he does this. Or you walk into another room. You've just got to keep it up and ignore him when he bites you.
Fah

Post by Fah »

One method I had with a problematic bird that just couldnt stop till it seriously drew blood and then you HAD to get it away from you was a toy.

After a few seriously ignored efforts... without any luck, I would shove a boring soft rubber toy in its face. It would chew that till it got completely bored / sore from chewing. After it started to calm down.. i raised my other hand and started to scritch it.

After about a week this worked a treat of daily, two to three hour long sessions. With very minor sporadic bites till it finished being a little kid.

Dont use a bright... fun / tasty toy though.. otherwise... biting you = fun toy being shoved right in front of it. Find the most boring pencil eraser you can find and go with that. (99% of all young primary school quality erasers are bird safe as they have to be kid safe just check that its made from natural products and doesnt contain colours etc... no cheap crap)
leo

hi

Post by leo »

i think evil eye method is good...it work well on my tiel and baby IRN...

when the bird bite, slowly remove your hand and with very firm voice (not shout), and very stern look, then say 'no'...do it a few times...the bird will slowly catch the meaning...
tango did start developing chewing and biting habit...as soon as i realise it, i try the evil eye trick on him...

tango behaviour change after 1st section of evl eyes method...

i think bird are rather sensitive towards evil eye...its mean negative to him as it is eyes of predator(like cat)who is ready to attack from behind...
guys, if i offend you in any way, please let me know....don't keep it to yourself....okay.tango is FE-male.............