IRN question on aggression

Moderator: Mods

everardor

IRN question on aggression

Post by everardor »

is it normal for a IRN to chase and bully other animals?

For the last couple months she has pretty much bullied my African Grey.....Chased my red lored amazon out of his cage and growl at anyone near her cage I mean she is really mean does not let anyone touch her except me I mean she's like a pitbull She figured out how to open the door to my new parakeets cage and tried killing em the other day and its kind of bad to the point where i might have to move into another room because of how mean she is Any suggestions on teaching it to get a long with my parrots?
BigChicken

bullie birdie

Post by BigChicken »

How old is your IRN, How long have all of the birds been together, and has there always been aggression?
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

I would start by put your IRN in another room for now. Then start by slowly introducing her to the 'flock'. Keep her in a cage, out of fighting distance. For say, an hour a day. Then you can try letting her out, keeping a good eye on her at all times!
She could be asserting her authority in the 'flock' or possessive of the room? Either way, separate her from the others immediately.

I believe its normal for one bird to be of a higher authority over other birds. Thats natural for them. Its the pecking order.
When introducing a new bird, this can be a problem as they will naturally work out their 'pecking order'. But when they start getting violent, they have gone to far and need to be taught that its not appropriate behaviour! This is when they can be a danger to other birds.

When we introduced Yoda to my 7 year old, I took a couple of weeks of an hour a day, cages side by side, so they could get to know each other, without being within contact distance. But once I let them out together. Yoda hesitated then, immediately took over, and bullied Jibby who hadn't had a 'birdie' friend in years. Poor Jibs was just happy to have a birdie friend, no matter how many times he was bullied. lol. I started putting Yoda in his cage when fights broke out, no fuss.. Now, a year later.. If I'm not standing over them, especially around food, Yoda will challenge Jibs. Jibby will usually use me as an escape, hes a mummys boy! lol. If I stand over Yoda will not challenge Jibs! Yoda now knows I am boss! He still bullies but hes no longer on a killer rampage anymore. More of a quick, reminder of whos boss over who. Almost always Jibby will bow down to his boss. Occasionally he will stand his ground. And thats that. Its quickly resolved. Then its back to playing games.

Never under estimate how smart they are. My Jibs used to open the tiels cages all the time too. We resorted to putting a padlock on the door at night. Sounds weird but he got past the clothes pegs used to lock the door, elastic bands, wire.. Padlock was the last resort. He couldnt open that! Rolling Eyes

Goodluck and don't give up on her. She can be tamed. :wink:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
BigChicken

Post by BigChicken »

Everardor, I have a similar aggression problem between two of my birds that have hated each other since together in the same room for two years now. One of the birds is my little brown throat conure, the other a Sun. The little brown throat is “in love” with our new arrival IRN. After only three days, he flew over to the IRN’s cage and went in. No aggression, they are becoming friends. I’m convinced that color and sex with different species has a lot to do with how well they get along a long, some of the time. The brown throat also loves our mini macaw that is also green, but she hates all other birds…
Lauren, do you think it would help with birds that have been together for a while and who have always been “arch enemies” to be separated and slowly re-introduced?
julie

Post by julie »

Would it help to do what would be done with dogs, make sure they are fed in a special order to establish pack rights ect?
everardor

Post by everardor »

My ringneck is a year and 4 months now! they have been together for a few months my gray is 10 months and has been with me for 6 months and my red lored amazon has been here for 4 months and my parekeet has been around for about 5 days now I also have a canary and 2 cockatiels but she dont bother them so.. It's just weird how it has gotten so viscous even with strangers when they walk by the cage she slams her head on the cage haha it turned like a guard dog. she also gets mad when i pet the other bird or talk to them also she was my first bird and i dont really make her feel left out.

I just think it's weird behaviour shes been doing it for about 2 months and she bites everyone really mean I am thinking of recording it to show better exactly the kind of behavior that is going on maybe she needs a bf? lol i dont know but my grey is really nice and he bends his head down hoping for the IRN to scratch his head since hes not mean but she just bits and locks jaw hahahaha.

sorry for poor grammar.
Donna

Post by Donna »

The established bird(EXAMPLE--IRN or any other species) is the #1 bird in the house and should remain so. The new bird has no idea about being the #1 bird. Jealousy can develop if that's changed.
Both birds need their own separate cages. They should be in the same room but the cages shouldn't be next to each other. Neither should feel threatened by the other. They'll start verbal communication when they think the time is right. They need to get used to the fact that another bird is nearby.
The most important thing here is to do all things ie feeding, changing water, giving treats with your established bird first. That lessens any perceived threats to being #1.
If your IRN is used to coming out of the cage all the time, continue that. Leave the other bird in the cage . If the new bird is used to coming out of the cage all the time, continue that but don't let them out at the same time. All of this will be temporary. The caged bird can see the routine from a safe place. Lessen the amount of time that the new bird stays out of the cage because you need to learn all about the new bird and it's habits. Is he aggressive? Does he like to take off when approached? Does he behave when being retrieved? Constantly let one or the other out until it gets to be a routine. Then, with the cages apart, let both out at the same time. At that point both birds should be quite aware of the other's presence. Don't put the cages close together so that one has the ability to go after the other. They both need to feel that there's no threat and no surprise moves from each other. If you have a playstand that you use for the IRN or any other species , it's best to get another one for the grey. Putting the two birds together on one stand is only asking for trouble. That stand belongs to the IRN or any other species and it should remain his and his alone. As with the cages, playstands should be kept apart but can be used by both birds at the same time. Only time will tell you the amount of friendship that will develop. Some learn to like each other from a distance. Others will like to be shoulder to shoulder. As time goes on and you see that the birds have no bad attitudes towards each other, you can then move the playstands closer and closer but it should be done in increments. Don't put any time limits on any of these things. With some birds it happens quickly; others, not so quickly. The most important thing here is you getting to know and learn about your new bird. It makes things easier to accomplish. Both birds have their own habits, likes and dislikes and you should be aware of them. Eventually, one bird learns to accept and like the other but how much is anyone's guess. Their personalities have a lot to do with getting along with each other. Take it real slow and easy with no time limits. Talk to both of them at the same time. Get the new bird comfortable not only with the IRN but also with you and your family and his new living conditions and family habits. These are the major starting steps in order to get 2 birds to accept each other.
Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
Gemstone

Post by Gemstone »

reminds me of amazon.....

even at 3-6 months old he was trying to beat up the King Parrot (3year male) at the pet store. even worse that amazon was trying to take over the kings cage.
he also takes on small dogs without too much difficulty, only thing he's afraid of is cats.
Adam and Dude
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

:? Some people are better at explaining things that I am. lol. Forgot to add.. Keep your routine with each established bird to ease jealousy. Donna raised some good points there.

I like to think of our flock as a tree. Run with me here, theres a point somewhere. LOL. This is my example 'tree'...

~We are at the top branch, looking out for danger, we are the leaders, we are the providers, we enforce rules and we should always stay at the top because we have the more difficult, stressful job.

~Below us is our Yoda on the branch below, making sure things are running smoothly, testing us to see if he can get higher, also testing new things for 'bird approval!'. He leads Jibby now.

~Below Yoda is our Jibby, now on the bottom branch, he has less duties, he doesn't have to worry, because we are above him watching out for him, he doesn't have to fight because hes got an advantage of flight, he doesn't have to compete because he gets his equal share. He just has to follow his leaders and he lives an easy life. :lol:

Everyones flock duties are different and they can change without a fuss in an 'established' flock. To give others a break maybe?

Now, to make a point.. When you introduce another bird to the flock, they need to establish where they are in the flock, they need to know which branch to take. Some will assume the top branch is theirs and who ever is already there gets 'the beak'. :twisted: They love a challenge! This is why they need guidance. Keeping the flock as it was, as much as possible will make the transition run more smoothly.

To have a working flock you must have order and boundries. They each have their 'branch' to protect. Its the same with dogs.

Now, think of your flock and where they stand in the tree, wheres your IRN fit in? One new bird, can throw the whole flock 'tree' out of alignment and they have to find where they stand again.

Starting your IRN from the bottom position, gives your other birds less stress and you a chance to lead them in the right direction. The top bird (you) must be firm and persistent with enforcing the rules, or your new bird will bite and climb its way up to the top where it can rule the whole tree!
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Wow that was long. Sorry. :shock:

*Edit* BigChicken - Separating and slowly re introducing, is just one way of dealing with it, depending on the birds personality. Of course not all will ever get along. But atleast it can give the 'problem' bird an understanding of how the flock works. It gives us a chance to show the bird how to behave, one on one time, without the bird having the extra stress of fighting its way to the top. Then once you introduce them, a constant reminder of what we have taught them is needed. Even if it means, separate play times in the future. :wink: I think there is alot of underlying 'flock' mentalities that us humans don't see. We can only guide them, and hope they learn. So to answer your question, I do think it helps keep an already established flock less stressed. If we left it up to them to work out their differences, someone will end up getting hurt or even killed?
Last edited by Lauren on Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Donna

Post by Donna »

Very well explained Lauren :D

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both