Jealousy

Moderator: Mods

sudired

Jealousy

Post by sudired »

I haven't been on this site for 2 years and now, in addition to my ringneck, I also have a Blue Crown Conure,Captain, 26 years old, super sweet. The ringneck, Billie (bad to the bone), 27 years old, has become SUPER jealous to the point of attacking and biting me. I now spend more time with him and he has learned a lot from Captain, but he has never stepped up or never stopped biting. They are both rescue birds. They both train well but Bill spends so much time trying to bite me he loses focus. Should I be training separately?
MissK

Re: Jealousy

Post by MissK »

I'm not pro, but I would say yes and no. Your IRN needs some one on one to come up to speed on his basics. You should be training him alone, but also train the other in his sight, even if it's a review for him, on the same skills. I'm a big believer in "training the pack" or the flock. There are certainly group behaviours that you might like to have, and when the birds are ok with it, training side by side is fun and economical. But, sometimes we just need one on one. If you have to remove one bird, go ahead.
-MissK
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

How are you trying to train him to step up?
sudired

Post by sudired »

I have tried every method out there to step up. He will go out of his way to avoid step up,
Training one on one, alone is a great idea but Billie is so OVERLY BONDED to Captain that he flips out and won't stay put if Captain is not in the area, so I'll try what you suggested - close proximity. thanks.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Here's a really great video on training that should help you a lot http://youtu.be/QQ2MpmxUgSA

You can also check out www.goodbirdinc.com for some training tips.

Does he approach you when you offer him a treat? The way to train a ringneck practically anything is to convince the ringneck that what you want them to do is going to be rewarding and giving them a choice on whether they want to play or not. Things like pushing on their chest to make them step up leads to avoidance behaviours like biting or running away.