IRN's and Other species

Moderator: Mods

Aves

IRN's and Other species

Post by Aves »

Hi Everyone,

I have been away from the site a while. I wondered if it is typical of ringnecks to not get along well with other species of birds. I can't tell if my ringneck is just very jealous and likes being "the baby" of the family (she doesn't like our cockatiel) or if it's because she doesn't like him because he is a cockatiel and not more like herself. I'm just wondering because I would like to get an eclectus in a few years (I know this question is premature, sorry but I'm curious). Anyways I am just wondering if she will be miserable if I end up bringing another competitor for her affection in the house... Seems like most of you have pictures of several species mixed in with your ringnecks, maybe mine is just a bit bratty that way ; )
"You remain responsible, forever for what you have tamed"
Donna

Post by Donna »

They get over it just like a small child when you ask he or she if they want a brother or sister, they always say NO (mine did anyway, I should have listened) Any way I have macaws, cockatoos, african greys and ringnecks, Do they all get along :shock: oh no! I give them one on one attention and never let them interacted together. So your bub will probably have his beak out of joint for a while so big deal get your ekkie any way he'll learn to live with it. :?

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
Aves

Post by Aves »

:D Thanks Donna,

Glad to know I'm not the only one with an attention hogging ringneck, lol. I love her to death but she insists on being the center of attention. In fact if she even hears the cockatiel singing and joyful she will try to climb to his cage to screetch at him and try to make him quiet again! I try to teach her not to do that by placing her back in her own cage (she hates not being able to have free reign of the house, like we normally allow her when we are home). It seems to work somewhat but I think if she has someone to pick on that's bigger than her own size she might get a real wake up call (not that I would instigate a confrontation between any two birds, but if she goes to screetch at a bigger bird she might get quite a sqwauk back). I just want her to be happy, but I think she's not too keen on other birds. I don't even know if she'd like another ringneck around here, hahah. We'll see how it goes... we've got a couple of years to get her better figured out before we decide on another bird.
"You remain responsible, forever for what you have tamed"
Fah

Post by Fah »

My little prima dona Naemh, never likes any bird to begin with.. but doesnt actively try to hurt them.

Given time and reinforcing mutual behaviour.. like hand feeding at same times etc and giving them scritches and cuddles and singing to them in their little whistles breaks them in pretty fast.

Then they are best mates... but all birds are different... one ringneck next to another can be worlds appart personality wise... even when raised by the same owner.

They do form dislikes... and sometimes on looks. Naemh tradtionally hated anything grey for some unknown reason... now his best buddy is a grey IRN.

He loved a friends sun conure to death at one point... now doesnt get along too well as they have been seperated for a time and they both changed.
Hestia

Post by Hestia »

I have an IRN, Indie, and a Goffin Too, Jasmine. My goffin is terrified of my IRN, and my IRN knows this, so he is always trying to scare her off. I have never left them unattended, but the minute my IRN makes any type of move (as if he is coming her way) my Goffin is off and flying to get away.
I am hoping that one day they will get along, but the only way that is ever going to happen is if my Jasmine will realize that the only reason Indie is doing this is cause he knows he can.
Inide also tried to get bossy with the cat, and attack him, so I always have to watch him to prevent anything from starting. He is a little bully butt.
Heather
nil

Post by nil »

before few years gave a my irns child to a my friend.
He had a cat and a coctatiel too.
one time the ring neck attack to tiel and cut his plume, and also bite cats nose. after that cat and tiel run away when see the ring neck
Melika

Post by Melika »

Personally I have a tendancy to have a favourite. And to give more attention to that one than any others. So for me one bird is good. Unless I had some breeding pairs, but that may not happen.

There's no guarantee even IRNs will get along. The two we have are siblings and they barely have a friendship- mostly one being scared and pecking defensively and the other being like, 'leave me alone' and packing back.

For different size birds, I think it best to keep them separate. Especially with a drastic beak size difference. I've seen some gruesome images of incidents between birds- broken beaks, toes bitten off, huge gashes.

What can I say, I'm the cautious type. :?

A lovebird I had nearly bit the toe off one of my 'tiels when he landed on her cage. So beak size isn't always the determining factor. But that changed my viewpoint on mixing birds, you might say.

Can you have more than one species? Yes. But it's wise to keep them separate or very very supervised.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Prinny gets along with everyone. He would get upset with Raj when Raj would play with him. Raj enjoyed his little 'Prinny toy'. Prinny and Mikey get along pretty well...am hoping Zoey will too

Dani
Fah

Post by Fah »

I find them just as diverse as humans. Just because they are from all aspects... the same lifestyle.. and same heritage... they can quite just as easily hate each other as us.

Some people you just dont get along with. Birds I feel are the same.