I really need suggestions to stop this behaviour

Moderator: Mods

laine

I really need suggestions to stop this behaviour

Post by laine »

Smokey has an in built mobile phone tracker - of this I am sure.
It doesn't matter where we put the phones he finds them. He knows our ring tones and copies them perfectly so this is probably his tactic. He copies the ringtone - you head for the phone - he sees where it is and gets there before you :lol: . He dances to the phone screen and displays to it. Not too much of a problem but he does peck and pick at the keys - this is obviously a problem. Aside from finding new hiding places for the phones, how do I teach him that the phones are out of bounds to him !!!! "No" doesn't work. The other problem with phones is when you are talking on the phone, he tracks you down and tries to get it off you while you are talking or he screeches so loud its a real shock to the person on the other end and not very professional when its work related. :oops: . A couple of times he has, by chance, been able to disconnect a call through his grabbing at it while i'm trying to talk. I don't let him sit on my shoulder while I talk he just manages to get there. Sometimes he will fly if you are close enough, otherwise he finds me, on foot, and climbs up my legs. I find myself walking round the house when on a call with Smokey running behind me, on foot, trying to catch me. It is a funny sight to see but at the same time becoming an issue.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That is just too funny! But I can see how it can be a problem. Put the phones on vibrate? Hmm, not sure.. sorry can't help here. :?

Jibby hates my partners mobile because its bright orange, which sucks because its our only camera right now. Yoda loves to scream when I'm on the phone to the real estate.. who know we have birds.. But I lied and told them they were perfectly quiet angels who spend more time in there cage than they actually do. Hahahaha
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Melissa

Post by Melissa »

o my goodness thats SO funny! how about giving him his "own" cell phone? maybe an old one you have laying around? then he can destroy it - but it will probably only distract him if you have it on hand to give him every time the cell phone rings...is it the ring of the phone he likes or does he not want to you be on the telephone instead of paying attention to him? max will also climb on my shoulder and try to eat the phone while im on it and talk back to it but he is not nearly as persistent as smokey!
greeny

Post by greeny »

You are not alone. My Tajj loves all things with keys, Cellphone, keyboard, regular phone, calculator, REMOTE CONTROL. That's his favorite. I joke that he wanted to be an engineer but could not afford college.

We have considered buying an imitation remote for him to destroy, or even a cheap real one. Of course this does nothing to correct the underlying problem.
But it is an obsession for him, so I don't know if you can ever train it away.
laine

Post by laine »

It's a slight consolation that I am not alone. However, Smokey just loves the phones - on or off. He dances to his reflection in the phone screen. He bites at it too which, obviously, he can destroy. I have given him an old phone but he is way to smart for that - he knows, somehow, that it doesn't work. Yes, he had fun destroying the buttons but that novelty soon wore off. He also loves keys, not too much of a problem except for the keys with remote key pads, he has destroyed one in the past and it cost me $160 to get it replaced as well as alot of embarrassment telling the guy how the buttons became chewed off!!! :oops: . And to top it off they weren't even my keys. :shock: . Our tv remotes are underneath the daily newspaper, otherwise Smokey will chew them too. He also has enough weight behind him now that if he stands on the remote and by chance its the right key, either changes channels or turns it off altogether :lol: We have been putting our phones and keys in the bedroom lately but Smokey flies in there cos somehow he knows the new hiding spot. As I said before - he has an inbuilt mobile phone radar. Perhaps I have spoilt him, because he also has his own wallet, purse, handbag, keys, a packet of colored keyrings & tags, calculator, mobile phone, cd, and various "normal" bird toys. He couldn't possibly be bored. And definately either ignores or just doesn't get the word NO. OMG I think I know what's wrong - He rules the house !!!!!! :oops: :shock: Now how do I get control back???
greeny

Post by greeny »

Perhaps I have spoilt him, because he also has his own wallet, purse, handbag, keys, a packet of colored keyrings & tags, calculator, mobile phone, cd, and various "normal" bird toys

OMG, that is totally hilarious! An IRN w/ his own cell phone. Sounds like he must be from LA! Too funny. Isn't he clever to know the real from the fake. Sounds like it's just a matter of hiding everything - with his background he'll never give it up! He must be a smart boy.
Donna

Post by Donna »

While this is all cute and stuff you have to put limits on where they can play. You are the (flock leader) the boss of your house take it back from the bird. My animals don't own me I have the privilage to own them and they go where I want them to go, play where I want them to play. Your not being cruel if you set limits on where he can go in the house.
giving him his "own" cell phone?
No this is bad it's like giving a puppy a shoe to chew and the next thing ya know all your shoes are chewed on. Who's to blame? Not the puppy!

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
laine

Post by laine »

Donna, how true that is. I only started to realise when I was typing the last post, listing all the "human" type toys he has. He got the wallet and purse cos he chewed them, we bought new and gave him the old ones. Guess he won didn't he. Mind you, he still tries to get at our new ones. The same for all the other stuff. He also has 3 computer mouses cos,yep, he chewed the wheels on them. This is when I realised "what have I done". I thought it easier to give him the wrecked items and then he'd leave my new stuff alone, No way. The puppy with the shoe is a perfect example. I wonder why he chews the buttons off all my calculators - cos I gave him one after he did it in the first place. Time to take back ownership, I know. Guess I am in for a week or so of a grumpy bird being removed from my stuff all the time till he gets the message. I have tried having his things to distract him, but he wants what I have, not what I have given him.
Donna

Post by Donna »

These things that your giving him could also be dangerous for him. In calculators there's all kinds of metal pieces and some could contain lead. Cell phones have all kinds of computer chips and batteries that are hazards. These little suckers can take things apart in a minute. Did you know that artificial flower arrangements the stems of the flowers or made of lead. So it's always better to have your bird in a bird safe zone when out of the cage.

Donna
In Loving Memory

I miss you both
laine

Post by laine »

No Donna, i didn't know these things contained lead. How do you know what does and what doesn't
Donna

Post by Donna »

Most all your electronic gadgets have lead solder in it. Safest toys for them are bird toys. If you make your own toys make him one and you one and he'll always want yours :D

Donna
In Loving Memory

I miss you both
laine

Post by laine »

What a very cool suggestion. Thanks. I will try that.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

show us a photo of him "using" his cell phone!

im gonna go get my bird some car keys (plasic)!!!