Klaatu is torturing me

Moderator: Mods

Klaatu

Klaatu is torturing me

Post by Klaatu »

He and I can't seem to get enough of each other lately. The more time I spend with him the more he wants. I bring him out alot more as my cats know not to bother him so he sits on a gym next to my computer and chats away . However, comes a point when he will jump over and land on me and obviously wants to be held. After a while on my finger he will bend down and bite my thumbnail sideways and pinch it. Not especially painful but, enough to make me flinch in responce. I have tried hiding my thumb nail between my other fingers but he will just reach down and quickly nip my fingers that are hiding the thumb nail Not really painful but, really annoying. Just a quick nip. I have taken to "head butting" him. to keep him from connecting to the object of his intended pinch. When I see him starting to swoop down to take his pinch, I put my forehead which is too big to clamp onto in the way. I don't scream or yell at him, just try to block the bite. Anyone have an idea how to put an end to this annoying habit? I know it's not just done for attention as he does it when he is getting the most attention. When I tire of the head butting defense I will put him back in his cage but he doesn't seem to connect mentally to the bite me back to the cage connection.
Gort, Klaatu Barada Nikto
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

I have not heard of 'head butting' the bird technique before. :lol: I would put him in the cage or on the floor as soon as he does it. No head butting, no reaction.. just calmly put him in the cage or the floor. Bite = no attention.

Jibby does this too, but he likes to chew my skin around the nail. I dont think hes trying to hurt me. But if I tip him upside down or on his back he automatically starts doing this to me and his own nails. He only does this when on his back or upside down! I'm thinking hes just trying to 'prene' me. Still, I don't like it so I put him on the floor.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Klaatu

Post by Klaatu »

:lol: Maybe "headbutting" was the wrong word to use. I actually just put my head in his way so that he can't pinch my nail. My forehead is too large of a surface to sink his bill into. I'm afraid putting him back in his cage would be a bigger punishment to me than to him. I really love to spend time with him as we have so little. Sometimes when he is on my shoulder he will chew on my ears! It's not really hard but, hard enough to be uncomfortable. I know he's not trying to hurt me but, it certainly does not feel good. I'm afraid chewing on my cuticles would drive me nuts too! he he.They are such cute little monsters aren't they? They have the face of an angel but, you can tell they have a little devil in their hearts.
snowsand

Post by snowsand »

Oh Goodness! Mojito likes to nibble my ears too! Crazy birdies! I have no idea how to get him to stop...so I guess I'm not that helpful with your nailbiter. :D
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Red scares them. Anything remotely red means ATTACK :!:
~ Mikaela Sky

Klaatu

Post by Klaatu »

:shock: I came home tonight and went into our room and Klaatu started lunging at me trying to bite me real hard. He hasn't ever done that before. I left and went shopping (to get him one of his favorite treats) and when I came back he was pretty much over it. We are moving into a new 2 bedroom house in 2 days and maybe he is feeling the pre moving tension.
laine

Post by laine »

Mikaela wrote:Red scares them. Anything remotely red means ATTACK :!:

I have heard this on many occassions however, Smokeys food bowl is red his bath in the cage is red and he adores them both. He also has a couple of red toys which he favors. Just lately he has a thing for key rings and I bought a cheap packet of different colored plastic ones. The ones he went for first were the red and bright pink ones. I used to believe Smokey loved anything yellow until I bought myself a new carry bag for shopping. I left it on the couch and thought he would obviously want to investigate, but no quite the opposite - He attacked it, growled, squawked, yelled out to it 'what you doing :lol: ' I had to move it cos he got too distressed. Now if I am going shopping I have to put the bag outside of the front door before I leave and then put Smokey away and say goodbye. :lol: Without him seeing it.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Oh Red! Jibby makes an awful screeching noise at Yodas red calcium perch. Reeeally should of got another colour! :lol:
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

it looks like he's finally enjoying your company! it seems to happen overnight!

i5t is probably a phase he's going through. just reinforce the step up with some treats to get him used to your fingers again. sometimes our birds need a reminder, they get carried away with things and forget.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

laine wrote:
Mikaela wrote:Red scares them. Anything remotely red means ATTACK :!:

I have heard this on many occassions however, Smokeys food bowl is red his bath in the cage is red and he adores them both. He also has a couple of red toys which he favors. Just lately he has a thing for key rings and I bought a cheap packet of different colored plastic ones. The ones he went for first were the red and bright pink ones. I used to believe Smokey loved anything yellow until I bought myself a new carry bag for shopping. I left it on the couch and thought he would obviously want to investigate, but no quite the opposite - He attacked it, growled, squawked, yelled out to it 'what you doing :lol: ' I had to move it cos he got too distressed. Now if I am going shopping I have to put the bag outside of the front door before I leave and then put Smokey away and say goodbye. :lol: Without him seeing it.

try some coloured popsicle sticks, my boy LOVES them. they seem to love the different colours. he never gets tired of them.

Also paper streamers in different colours are fun.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

I have a bucket full of coloured sticks that Yoda LOVES to throw all over the floor too. He seems to favor the orange ones! But Jibby hates orange and red things. I think it can be a learned reaction to colour.