irn signing?

Moderator: Mods

snowsand

irn signing?

Post by snowsand »

Has anyone ever seen an irn sign when they want something?

:o Mojito did it a few times yesterday and I finally caught on to what he was doing...I think.

I have him step up and once in position, he lifts one foot, curls it into a ball (as though he was grabbing something) then puts his foot to his mouth.

I have been rewaring him with treats while training with him and now it seems as though he is expecting treats (seeds and peanuts) even for a step up! :roll:

Clever Mojito? or am I imagining things? :oops:

Thanks for your imput!
Klaatu

Post by Klaatu »

8) They are certainly intellegent enough to do it, If we were smart enough to reckonise their symbols.
Gort, Klaatu Barada Nikto
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

:D Clever Mojito! I would go with it and reward him. Thats fantastic!
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Fah

Post by Fah »

If they display a certain qwerk and you reward it. You will most likely see another very similar action being taken to get yet another reward.

I treat my Naemh like a football. Rub him over my face etc and hold him like a footy. He loves it. He knows he will get something out of it usually too hehe.

Things they do, they do so because its a) fun... b) productive or c) both.

This is how alot of learned behaviour happens. Through positive reinforcement heh.
Klaatu

Post by Klaatu »

8) My problem is that Klaatu is so spoiled I wouldn't know what to offer him as a reward. He gets every fruit and vegetables available bought for him on a daily basis.
snowsand

Post by snowsand »

Peanuts are Mojitos "I'll do anything you want me to, just give me the damn peanut" treat. :) They are high in fat so he does not get many, but holy cow he LOVES them. I'm sure he knows that anything else, he gets anyways. These little guys are so smart & clever. He never stops amazing me!
Klaatu

Post by Klaatu »

:lol: I know what you mean! Right now there are lot's of pears and plums and Klaatu goes through them like a termite. Pomagranites are coming into season but are still pretty expensive so I havn't gotten one for him yet. Found a fig tree and he loves those. Peanuts come in our seed mix and he doesn't seem to be too wild about those. He loves corn on the cob and grapes and cherries. Never seems to get tired of apples either. Loves brocolli but prefers the stem rather than the flower end.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

:lol: I don't have a 'rewards' food either. Mine dont seem to fussed about peanuts. But peanut butter on toast they go crazy over! Jibby is so fussy though. The bread has to be toasted or he will throw it back at me. As soon as my partner gets home from work Jibby hangs off him and follows him around until he gets toast! (which is my partners routine after work) Strawberries and blueberries are the latest hit here. Jibs only eats the ends of brocolli and Yoda eats the stems. :roll:
laine

Post by laine »

How cute. Smokey uses all his "tricks" to attract attention when he wants something. He will try everything. First he will come up to you and nod his head 'yes' I trained him to do this as I say to him 'so you want this' and now when he wants something this is what he does. If this doesn't get his own way he will then try his words and if that doesn't work for him he then goes on to waving and kissing. When all else fails and he really wants what you have - and keeps getting NO - he resorts to survival mode and either bites or does the quick grab and run :lol: when you're not looking or expecting it.
Klaatu

Post by Klaatu »

:lol: I thought peanut butter would be a nice idea to add to Klaatus' diet so I spread it on his apple slices. He carefully eats the apple without touching the peanut butter. Seems these little Demon Seeds all have a mind of their own. It's becoming obvious to me these monsters disguised as adorable pets are really here just to make us slaves to their every whim. We are all terrified to make them upset and they are just using us.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Klaatu wrote::lol: I thought peanut butter would be a nice idea to add to Klaatus' diet so I spread it on his apple slices. He carefully eats the apple without touching the peanut butter. Seems these little Demon Seeds all have a mind of their own. It's becoming obvious to me these monsters disguised as adorable pets are really here just to make us slaves to their every whim. We are all terrified to make them upset and they are just using us.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Soo TRUE!