Weird Behaviour

Moderator: Mods

Clare

Weird Behaviour

Post by Clare »

I have 2 IRN that were bred last year but I don't know exact ages and they are both acting really weird this last week.

The male bird is doing the trance dance at everything! He goes round and round the cage doing it to toys, perches, food dish. Is this normal for an IRN about 1 year old?

Also the female bird is acting weird. When I come into the room lately and I have been away for a while she starts shaking until I pat her, like she is shivering. Then stops when shes had a pat. Then when she comes to play she just sits on my shoulder and makes a quiet crying noise with her beak open and stays there for up to an hour. When I move my hands near her she opens her beak and does a little cry to get them away.

I am only guessing thier sexes but is this breeding season behaviour and if so how long does it last. I am in QLD, Australia. Thanks
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Sounds like a normal 1 year old. Its quite normal to see them 'display' before maturity. It is silly (breeding) season here too. My 7 year old is busy humping and regurgitating right now. :shock: Breeding season here is from about july to september.. I think... well, thats when my Jibby starts getting hormonal.
The shaking might be a learned behaviour to get attention or she could be scared. But it sounds like shes relaxed after a pat. Maybe initially scared but realises your ok! :wink:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
mattyboardman

Post by mattyboardman »

haha the male dance is awsome when they do it....

the female i have no idea was it cold in the house or ?
maybe she is just after a pat and she learnt how to get one easy from you ? they are cleaver birds and learn easy imo
R.I.P Baby 05 / 09 / 2007 You Will Be Missed !
WasasMum

Post by WasasMum »

My Wasa does this shake/ shiver thing with the crying when he/ she doesnt want me about.
Boy the more I read about male/ female behaviour the more I am certain my bird is 50/50 ha ha ha....

Wasa is trancing everything but shakes and does the cry til I pat him/ her and clucks and exposes the neck.... AAARRRGGGHHH

I would love to know if anyone has an idea what the shaking thing is though. Wasa does it mainly when i take him/ her out of the cage first thing inthe morning and when I come home at lunch... I have always wondered what it was.
Fah

Post by Fah »

I had two IRN's about a year old both fighting over doing the trance dance. They wouldnt be happy both doing it so scruffles happened until they met a balance.. one "pounced" about and calling while the other one trance danced...

Weird little fellas heh. I have even had hens do it. So I take its just a fun thing to do whereas maybe outside of relaxed captivity it wouldnt really take place?
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

So true Lauren!

I am currently noticing this behaviour with my 1 year old. I had to remove reflective objects, as one mirror had zinc in it i found and the stainless steel bowl i got sick of (he had 5 bowls in his cage).

He displays to everything- toys, rope perch plastic hardware screws, stainless steel screws in his swings, food, anything.

Do females do this displaying? If not ive certainly got a male. He regurgitates to everything too.

And he's moulting a few feathers as well.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

maybe the female is doing the same as the male though being acceptive, you know what i mean! the backs are very sensitive for birds, as it indicates mating...
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Yep crazy breeding season stuff .. probably last till more like late november december in Aust.
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

laine

Post by laine »

"It is a very funny thing to watch". Smokey displays to everything and particularly regurgitates on the rings on my fingers, occassionally in my ear. YUK.
His latest funny displays are in the evening, to his shadow on the wall beside his cage. It's hillarious.