sleeping on one leg...

Moderator: Mods

mattyboardman

sleeping on one leg...

Post by mattyboardman »

one of my baby's sleeps on one leg is this normal or has he / she hurt its leg ? i didnt notice if she / he did this from the start i just noticed it, it pulls its leg right into its feathers and goes to sleep but when he / she is awake it walks fine on its leg(s) this normal ?
R.I.P Baby 05 / 09 / 2007 You Will Be Missed !
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

:D This is how most birds sleep/rest. Its quite normal to see them tuck one foot up and nestle their heads into their backs. :wink:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

yup totally normal. When jordan settles down on my hand I, like to play find the foot. I part all his feathers and find his little curled up claw and start playing with it, he just glares at me through sleepy eyes, with the look of "have you had enough, can ya leave me alone now" .. lol
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

:lol: You are so lucky you can do that to a sleepy birdy. Jibby would rip my hand off if I touched him when hes asleep. :roll: I love warm feets!
Sleepy birdies are so funny!
I had an argument with Yoda tonight, as he was all tucked up for sleepy times. He went to bed early tonight so he could get the 'best' cage. Jibbys cage! As I nicely asked him to go to his own cage, he replied angrily muzzled underneath his wing, 'Yeeeah, Yeh, Yeeeeeah!' and looked at me with that evil eye. I said, 'No no no! Come on' He proceeded to tuck himself more and even 'pretended' to go to sleep still muttering under the wing 'Yeeeah Yeh Yeeeeah!. :roll: This happens almost everynight. Dont ask where he picked the 'Yeh yehs' up from. Not me. :oops:
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

New parronts are SO CUTE! :lol:
~ Mikaela Sky

mattyboardman

Post by mattyboardman »

yea he / she went to his new home today i feel soooo lost now :( my fiancee wont stop crying also she aint taken it too good i feel so bad
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

I'm so sorry you had to give your bub up. It was for the best. :(
mattyboardman

Post by mattyboardman »

as i said to my fiancee there is going to be ALOT of babies coming and going it was so great to see somthing like this happen ie hatching eggs etc first time we did it had some ups and some downs ie today but there will be alot more babies coming and going and maybe adding some more to the family ? who knows i guess
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Oh that is why I don't think I could breed birds right now. I'd want to keep them all! Must be a beautiful thing seeing life begin for the little guys. :wink:
mattyboardman

Post by mattyboardman »

Lauren wrote:Oh that is why I don't think I could breed birds right now. I'd want to keep them all! Must be a beautiful thing seeing life begin for the little guys. :wink:

it is so kool to watch life begin with these little guys as many breeders will tell you they have so much caracter just as little babys is fun to watvh and learn with them
threio

Post by threio »

Okay, I feel better now, I think. We are saying its is not abnormal for an IRN to perch on one leg?

Threio (baby-3-5 mos) old in his 4th day with me, started perching and singing today on one foot. He uses it to scratch, but, at first I thought his singing may be pain related.

He hides it in his breast, but, he does it to move around on his perch. I sit next to his cage at my desk he's been calm all day, so I don't think he could of hurt himself without me seeing it.

He also exercises/stretches it. Would he be screeching if there was a leg injury?
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

For birds to perch on one leg is a very normal thing for them to do.

They seem to do it when they are relaxed or content. :) So unless Threio limps or favours the leg when walking and using it, I would not be too concerned. :)

8)
threio

Post by threio »

OH, excellent thats even better news. The idea he is starting to settle down a bit really relieves my stress. My Parrotlet never perched on one leg and the cockatiel I took care of for a year a few years back never did this.

Frankly, I am still feeling guilty about the cage Threio came home to, it is amazing the difference the larger cage had on his ability to relax and sleep. I wish I would of had more time in this forum before I went to pick Threio up, there are a ton of "baby" pictures on the site and I would of clearly seen the size of my baby.

thanks for your comment on my new cage purchase on the other thread also!
laine

Post by laine »

Smokey is really funny when he sleeps. He tucks his foot right in and seems like he squats his body. If he goes to sleep on my hand or knee I really feel his body weight get heavier and heavier as he falls into a deeper sleep. When he is asleep he either likes or lets me rub his beak. I am sure he likes it because if he is on my knee and wanting a little nap, I start rubbing his beak and his little eyes get heavier and heavier like its hynotising him :lol: :lol: it is so incredibly funny.
My son's cockatiel is really funny. With Smokey, I can always tell which foot he is standing on - right or left. With Zeke, the cockatiel, he is able to position is body so that it appears that the foot he is standing on is in the centre of his body. The tucked in foot is very well hidden. My son and I play a game of guess which foot :lol: :lol: :lol: Its really funny, we both make a bet which foot he's standing on and then Dale will pat Zeke so that he reveals the tucked in foot. His weight then adjusts and he stands on 2 feet with his body on both feet. I have watched him before as he tucks up the foot and centres his weight and body over the balancing foot, its really bazaar. Smokey just seems to tuck one up and you can tell whether its right or left that he his standing on.