HELP PLEASE ! NAUGHTY IRN

Moderator: Mods

Jimmymc

HELP PLEASE ! NAUGHTY IRN

Post by Jimmymc »

HI All,

I'm new to this but wondering if any of you guys could possibly help me. I have read a lot about taming IRN's but all the advice seems to start from a stage were the bird will "step up" and feed from your hand etc. I have had my IRN 5 months and im pretty sure he isn't hand reared as even now after being in his cage for that time he is still scared of me and will dart around the cage squawking and generally looking fearful. This upsets me as I have only the best intentions for him, I really want to enjoy my bird but at this time I feel the situation is hopeless !!!!!

I appreciate any help you maybe able to offer

Many Thanks

James
MissK

Re: HELP PLEASE ! NAUGHTY IRN

Post by MissK »

Hi James,

It looks like I'm going to give you the same advice as Daniel - get a snack and a comfy chair in your bird's room, far away enough that he doesn't react to you, fire up the computer, log in here, use the SEARCH function, and get to reading!

You and Daniel should talk about your experiences since you're both setting out to tame your birds at the same time. It's always nice to have a friend on a journey.

I will say, specifically to you, that it can get better. I brought home a mature bird just over a year ago that was terrified of me and everything I stood for. Yesterday he nearly snatched a nut from my hand. The good news is that I put almost no effort into taming him. If you actually work on taming every day, you should probably be able to expect faster results. Isn't that encouraging? :D

PS: He isn't naughty. He's doing what nature tells him to do.
-MissK
Jimmymc

Post by Jimmymc »

Hi Miss k,

Many Thanks for your reply and only after I posted did I see similar topics. I shall do what you say and persevere, hopefully I will get somewhere with him and post some updates shortly

:D :D

James
MissK

Post by MissK »

We have a great group of people here and I know everyone wishes you well and looks forward to hearing of your successes, however tiny they might seem. If you run into stumbling blocks, there's almost sure to be someone here who can offer suggestions.
-MissK
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

My little monkey was aviary bred and parent reared, he was a wuss too, when I got him at eight Weeks, my advice is Don't expect miracles, it takes time for him to trust you, Sanjay accepted and starting asking for treats through the bars quite some months after I got him, he still doesn't like hands unless they are offering treats, but to be honest, I don't mind, he can do what he wants when he is ready, as long as I treat him with respect, and he is healthy, feisty and full of himself, I don't expect more, I have as much time as he needs.