Potty training IRN's

Moderator: Mods

Klaatu

Potty training IRN's

Post by Klaatu »

8) I'm wondering if any of you have your birds potty trained? My last bird I had was a Moulaccan and he was potty trained to perfection. It was really quite easy. If you have your bird out, pick a spot you want it to go. Put a newspaper down there. As you move around your house keep your hand over the bird's tail. A bird has to lift it's tail in order to go. Every five minutes go to the spot you have the paper down and give the command to go., and remove your hand. The bird should be very ready to go and then you reward them and replace your hand over the tail again. With my Moulaccan the command to go was "Go Big Boy Honey" Within a very short time the bird learns to squirt on command. This comes in very handy when traveling, or visiting a friends house. When in a car you can just stop and open the door and give the command. Also in public places you can just hold them over a waste can and give the command. The IMPORTANT thing is to always have a mental clock going as to the last time your bird went. If you wait too long or forget, the bird will go with or without the command. My bird was always welcome at parties and social gatherings as everyone knew he wouldn't soil the furniture. Might chew it up, LOL! But never go Big Boy on it. LOL!
Gort, Klaatu Barada Nikto
Donna

Post by Donna »

Yes It's fairly easy to teach any bird to poop where and when they should and cockatoo are the best. They wag their tail 2 or 3 times and left and poop where the smaller birds poop more often and give very little or no warning. Grey's do a squat and poop and macaws can do it like a bomb. Just have to know your bird and the little signs it gives you. :oops:

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
lutino

Post by lutino »

I wana toilet train my IRN also. All i know is that he/she squats about every 20min to go lol
Klaatu

Post by Klaatu »

:lol: I don't know that I would wait 20 minutes. But each bird has it's own cycle and once you get that down and the hand over the tail, potty training is much easier than most think. I've only had Klaatu for a month and 1/2 so we are not used to hands on the body yet. But I do believe he is smart enough to learn how to go "Big Boy". My Moulaccan, Vulcan, used to love me to break open the pin feathers on his crest too. He was a hand fed baby and we were totally bonded. It still to this day breaks my heart I had to sell him. We moved to another country and while it was relatively easy to get him into the other country, it was impossible to bring him back to the states. :cry:
Donna

Post by Donna »

I had a M2 too had to rehome him due to he didn't like no one in the family but me. Now I have a baby U2. I know how hard it was to part with my M2 too.

Donna :D
In Loving Memory

I miss you both
Klaatu

Post by Klaatu »

8) Donna, what kind of bird was M2?
Donna

Post by Donna »

M2= Moluccan Cockatoo

U2=Umbrella Cockatoo

Donna :D
In Loving Memory

I miss you both
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Lisa, my girlfriend in the US has trained her baby U2 also .. they are very easy to see when they are going to poop. The shake that big ole feathered tail from side to side.

My IRN usually wait until i take them back into their bird room to do a poop. They will not usually poop on us, they will wait until we put them on a stand before they let go.

When we first get them from the room or stand, just after we step them up we wait a second and they poop right off.
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

Klaatu

Post by Klaatu »

8) I work about 45 to 50 hours a week so when I get home I try to make sure to spend at least a solid hour playing with Klaatu. He has "decorated" me a few times LOL.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Jibby used to be potty trained and would never poop on people. Always in the cage. If he had to when out of the cage he'd go back just to do his business. But in the last few years hes been lazy and so have we with the training. Now I think he poops in my just washed hair on purpose! :roll:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Klaatu

Post by Klaatu »

:lol: Conditioner!
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Gotta make mumma smell like a birdy again ! :wink:
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

Klaatu

Post by Klaatu »

:lol: Might be a new cure for spit ends! LOL!