Molting behavior?

Moderator: Mods

spizella

Molting behavior?

Post by spizella »

Sophie is going through her molt right now (right now her pinfeathers are just starting to fray at the ends), and she is doing unique things that I think are just because she's molting, one being that when I get her out of the cage, she climbs onto my shoulder and just wants to cuddle, and will stand there with her beak stuck against my chin for a minute or so. Head-scritches can come later, but she just wants to stand there for a while and lean. It's very sweet, but it just reinforces how miserable it must be to have all those pinfeathers poking through her skin and not much she can do about it except demand endless head-scritching (Sophie lets me rub between her beak and her eyes, and all those teeny feathers coming through there look really uncomfortable). I know this leaning thing is likely temporary for Sophie (I hope it is; pretty soon she's going to leave an impression), but I just wanted to put the question out there, and ask if anyone else had experiences with temporary behavior seemingly brought on by the misery of molting?
Donna

Post by Donna »

What you will see on your bird during the moult are lots of pinfeathers. While preening, they will break open the tip of the pinfeather to soften it but they can not reach the pinfeathers on their own heads. If you have more than one bird, you will see them preening each other's heads. If you only have one bird, you will find that they love to have you rub their heads and break open these pinfeathers for them. Their behaviors do change quickly from being loving to down right grumpy so be very careful when she is on your shoulder.

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Awww she needs you right now, enjoy it .. the little bugga's can change like the wind. Its' probably due to molting, but each thing you go through together makes you all the closer (bonding is a beautiful thing) :wink:
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Aww, sounds like she wants extra attention. :wink: Jibby does that too during a moult. He will sit on my shoulder and rub his beak on my cheek. He will want me to turn my head so he can snuggle under my nose or chin. After a while I get a pain in the neck from my head turned so I look forward again. Then he growls for me to come back and cuddle him! Demanding that I give him my warm breath! He also grinds his beak on my face? Its cute, but you do have to be careful when they are on your shoulder. Easy access to biting your face! Not very pleasant.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Klaatu

Post by Klaatu »

8) I am new to IRNs but not to birds. I have a had a handfed Moulacan, a hand fed Blue Streaked Lorie, and a hand fed Double Yellow headed Amazon. All had their flight feathers trimmed when I aquired them and I maintained them that way as I often let them go outside with me. After watching that horrible video about caged birds I feel guilty about taking away flight from a bird. However, I have always let my birds perch in trees while I garden and often take them to outdoor parties and BBQ's where they have a wonderful time. The wild populations of IRN's in Southern England and Central California are obviously ones who were not trimmed and escaped. How say the people of this board? I live in a small apartment and can't see letting my bird fly around in a 10X12 room. I would feel better about taking him out safely to a park or fishing with me. I know some of you breed and have flights etc, but what about the simple pet owners? Also, as Klaatu is moulting his flight feathers are coming in. They are a beautiful color. How about a partial trim where you allow the first 2 or 3 flight feathers remain for color but trim the rest? I always considerd that for my Moulacan but when it came time to trin is was just easier to whack them all off at the same time.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Klaatu, I believe a clipped bird should still be able to glide safely to the ground. Just not able to gain height. The first 5 or 6 primary flight feathers on each wing is the most that should be done.

We live in a tiny unit too. The main room is only about the size of some peoples small bedrooms. My 2 are free to roam around in here. In the mornings, Jibby flys around the room a few times for some exercise. He is not clipped. Yoda has 5 flight feathers on each wing clipped. We will clip again after the next moult. I cannot trust them outside. You are very lucky to be able to take your birds out.
Klaatu

Post by Klaatu »

Actually I was refering to leaving the primary flight feathers in place and only clipping the inner feathers. Just for show. I have always had birds with fully clipped wings and have never had a problem. In fact when i had my Moulaccan I used to put him outside on a full grown olive tree. He loved to be sprayed by a garden hose for a bath. He would normally come down when I wanted him to but, if he didn't I could always climb the tree and get him. Back then (30 years ago) the advice was to trim the inner feathers so they couldn't gain flight but leave the first 2 or 3 flight feathers for looks so they didn't look like they were trimmed.
Gort, Klaatu Barada Nikto
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

:? I have heard of this but its a bit strange that someone would do that just for looks.
Sounds like your Moulaccan was a very happy birdy either way. :wink:
Klaatu

Post by Klaatu »

8) Well, I have noticed Klaatu's flight feathers are a gorgeous Indigo blue color so if they could show and he would still be safe to take outside i'll give it a try. I'll keep ya all posted on it and include some pictures when they grow out enough. Like I said earlier, he's moulting pretty heavily right now and is not his photographic best. :lol:
Gort, Klaatu Barada Nikto