i have problems with 2 adults

Moderator: Mods

mattyboardman

i have problems with 2 adults

Post by mattyboardman »

well i bought 2 ringnecks from a friend of mine he had them in an aviery but wouldnt go near the birds he said they scared him so i took them from him and took them in as my own pets.

when i first got them al lthey did was dive into there breedin box when we walked in tothe room and some days later they stayed out into the cage so i tried to get closer and they would flap around the cage and make a loud noise.

one of them got out and i had to catch it because of fear of it getting out the house.

then 2 weeks after i got them they laid eggs and hatched them i had to change the box and the male IRN was fine it didnt bother him he sat in the cage away from me but the female one stayed in the breeding box i moved the chicked in to a box and i had to move the female with them also i didnt want her to think iwas taking her babies away and her reject them so i got the babies in the box fine but when i got the female she bite me and it wasnt a bite that was giving me a warning she took the hole skin from my knuckle but that was a miss bite is she would of goten me proper she would of made more of a mess. but i think she was protecting her babies.

do you think i can fix this and get her more tame once the babies are older and in there own cage ?

i think they are around 5 years old and i dont know if they have been
handled in there life so what would the best way for me to go about this ?

the male seams more like he wants to learn then the female i have a kitten also and the male coppied the kitten and meows to wind the kitten up so i think he will be the best one to try first if i tame him while the female watches will this make her trust me more or not ?

sorry for the hole story i just wanted to explain good so you know what i was going on about.
R.I.P Baby 05 / 09 / 2007 You Will Be Missed !
Donna

Post by Donna »

Are you wanting these birds to be pets or breeders? If you want them to be pets then take the nest box away and separate them and only work on taming one at a time. If you are keeping them for breeding then your better off leaving them together and not taming them at all and just let them be. It's very difficult to turn a breeder bird into a pet once they have bonded with their mate.

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
mattyboardman

Post by mattyboardman »

well they was going to be pets but i dont want to seperate them from each other so im thinking of keeping 2 of the babies to tame if they are younger they are better to tame i have heard but i love pets so i might just keep all 4 babies lol

did you get the image i sent you donna ?

ediy wrong donna there is more then 1 donna on this site wow names aint good with me so this is gunna be hard to keep up to date with same names lol
Donna

Post by Donna »

Yes I got it thank you. Don't be confused their are a couple of Donna's on the board but they have either another name beside it or a number. I'm the only Donna :D

Donna
In Loving Memory

I miss you both
mattyboardman

Post by mattyboardman »

so was the image i designed for you or some one else im lost now :S lol
Donna

Post by Donna »

OOPs sorry that wasn't me. I thought you were talking about the monkey nuts picture. I think you designed for donnanorm.

I can see where it can be confusing :?

Donna
In Loving Memory

I miss you both
mattyboardman

Post by mattyboardman »

yea sorry thats the person i remember now sorry for confusing you again lol
Jay

Post by Jay »

mattyboardman wrote:well they was going to be pets but i dont want to seperate them from each other so im thinking of keeping 2 of the babies to tame if they are younger they are better to tame i have heard but i love pets so i might just keep all 4 babies lol

If you want them to be tame, you should pull them from their parents NOW and start handfeeding them. At 3-4 weeks old, those chicks are on the borderline between easy to tame and hard to tame.
mattyboardman

Post by mattyboardman »

this is the first time i have every had birds never mind babies i would know where to start with them the babies still bite me when i look in the try have my finger when i open the hatch i have never done hand feeding before i dont want to take them out and end up killing them. i just dont know where to start i looked on the internet i was thinking about it but i dont want to end up hurting / killing them.

i know it will be harder to do when the adults have brought them up but wont they gain your trust alot more then an adult IRN? i old them each day and they are starting to get use to me more and the parrents aint getting as bad with me the male watches me but at first he use to flap in his cage because the baby was making a noise but the noise has stoped and he just sits on his perch and looks at what i do.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

A lot of people has tamed aviary birds and so I tried doing the same with a lorikeet. But he was so terrified he wouldn't move or eat when i was in the same vicinity as him or the small aviary cage i kept him in (it was larger than a cage but indoors). I choose to give him to an aviary and got myself a tame IRN for a "pet".

Wild aviary birds do not like people much and like space. I wish you luck in taming them.

The babies, on the other hand, if you try and handrear will be handtame. I suggest you try this!

Matty, whether you handrear this baby or trade your birds for tame ones is the better thing to do. Wild birds are very hard to deal with and you may never get them tame like you wish to. They should be in an aviary as that is what they were meant to do. Not pets.
mattyboardman

Post by mattyboardman »

yeah im putting the adults in an aviery but im trying to tame the little ones they are coming on great tho they dont bite me any more they just sit in my hand i do this for ten mins in the morning afternoon and night and when i put them in the box the male / female are still feeding them so i dont think i am upsetting them one bit so everything is going well with the babies and the male keeps looking at me outside the cage but he isnt shouting anymore also he just sits there eating his peanuts and watching down on his baby. so the taming with the 4 babies they have produced is going great ( i think )
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

great job!

you'll have handtame babies in no time. Id let the parents have space and time to themselves to be birds though. You can do as much taming with the babies yet you can still talk and try and tame the adults:)
donnanorm

Post by donnanorm »

hi and yes i did receive the design,thanks very much,i did leave you a message not sure if you got it or not,thanks again anyway :)

mattyboardman

Post by mattyboardman »

wellthe perents use to ignore me but i can wissle at them now and they wissle back so they seam to be gettiung better with me the female got out of her box the other day and i had to put her back in the cage and wow she has a nasty bite lol but i just have to get use to the bites etc from the adults after all it isnt there fault no one wanted to give them care before me but i will try my best with them it seams they are gettin use to me tho.

the babies are great i only hold the ones with feathers the one without feathers i dont really want to get him out of his box cause he has no feathers i dont want to make him cold or anything.
but they seam to be gettin good with the hand taming.

the design donna was no problem really as i said when u get a new picture send it me and i will do another one for you.
i know what you mean about it being hard getting near your bird.
my female / male wont let me walk in the same room without jumping in there breading box but now they seam to hang around the cage and just sit and wissle back with me so hopfully all will be well for me soon
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Wow you certainly have taken on a sudden lot of work, responsiblity.

I personally would keep the pair as breeders and not bother trying to tame them, it would be a full on job to try to tame them both, let alone then deal with the 4 babies.

As Jay said, if you want tame babies, you will have to pull them now and hand feed and raise them, they will soon be parent imprinted and rather hard to handle later on, although probably not impossible, especially if, once they are weaned you separate them from the parents and clip them to train.

But if you can find yourself a nice friendly local breeder to show you how to handfeed, tell him your dilemna and that you really need to learn or have help doing this, he may even help you for one or two of the babies in return.

If you keep all four, plus the parents, you are simply going to end up with a bunch of wild noisey parrots on your hands rather than, one or two really good tame pets.

Its really up to you what you want.

Trying to tame them all will be impossible for you.
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

mattyboardman

Post by mattyboardman »

i might pull out one or two my self i been looking it up all over the internet and im pritty up to date what to do with them hand feeding them and also i think the parents have pushed the one without feathers aside it dont look to have a full crop and all the other babies have but this is natural i been told they will be more concerned about the ones with the feathers other then the one without the feathers so i might pull that one out and another one to try and tame them also my fiancee can help with them too so we might tame all 4 if all goes to plan.

the only problem i dont have a heatmat to put them into a box so im stuck any other ways around this ?

i wish some one on this forum lived in manchester that knew how to tame them lol would be alot easier but hey i gota learn one day aint i.
mattyboardman

Post by mattyboardman »

also i cannot find any food for them around my area i have asked nearly every pet shop for it and not one of them has got it.

any one got any idea's how to make your own ?
like crushed peanuts apples etc whats the best way for me to go about this i have tried looking every wherefor making my own and i cannot find out a single thing on it lol

so whats the best way for me to go because no pet shops buy this certain things. must not be any breeders that ask for it around my area :S HELP !
kyria
Site Admin

Post by kyria »

look online, maybe you can order some over the internet.
Angie
---------
-----------
God Bless

Donna

Post by Donna »

Matty is your birds on any pellets? If you have pellets(preferably non-colored ones) You can put them in a food processor and make a powder. Then you want to mix it with water and the water should be 105 to 108 F degrees mix it kinda thin. Then take a spoon and bend the 2 sides up to form a lower beak of a bird. Start feeding them about every 4 hours. Now the little one with no feathers start feeding right away every 3 hours. You have to start this or the little one is going to die. Do not fill the crop real full. Fill it till it's just firm and round.

Donna
In Loving Memory

I miss you both
kyria
Site Admin

Post by kyria »

well if you can do that with pellets .. then go ahead and do that. The conisistency should be that of apple sauce.

You may have to research how to make yourself a brooder also, because the baby with no feathers is definately going to need warmth.

You are going to need to know all kinds of things, like how often to feed, how much, things to watch for like slow crop or sour crop etc.

I would probably private message Depois for expert tips on handraising, I don't think Jay would mind one bit helping you out and he is the expert around here.
Angie
---------
-----------
God Bless

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

theres types of pellets too such as mainanance etc and if you do this you'd have to buy a different sort such as one for breeding.
Jay

Post by Jay »

LoL Angie... I don't consider myself the omnipotent expert around here. I think you, Donna, Mik and Lauren are the experts on the "pet" side of things. And now we are lucky to have added knowlegeable members such as Elizabeth and Petey.

Anyways Matty, feel free to post any questions regarding handfeeding. As already stated, if you want to handfeed and tame only a few, I suggest picking the younger ones. Here is an excellent thread on handfeeding which I think should have been "stickied". Keep us posted with your fids as we are all interested on how they progress.

http://www.indianringneck.com/board/vie ... ght=melika

Here's another thread from a gentleman who had to improvise on handfeeding formula as none was available in his rural locale in India.

http://www.indianringneck.com/board/vie ... php?t=1983

I'm surprised you could not avail yourself of ready-made handfeeding formula. Try your local pet stores and ask for brands such as Kaytee Exact, Zupreem Embrace, Harrison, Hagen, or Roudybush. I did a sample Google search and found Kaytee available from this UK merchant. I'm sure you will have more choices if you do a more thorough net search.

http://www.feedem.co.uk/caged-birds-39/ ... la-262.htm

Hope that helps.
Donna

Post by Donna »

Thanks DDP but I'm no expert either, just learned a lot from the school of hard knocks :D But I do have a friend that does make their own handfeeding formula I myself don't have the time. If you really think about it anything you feed your breeders just make soup out of it and you got your handfeeding formula. In this particular case it's better then nothing.

Donna
In Loving Memory

I miss you both
Jay

Post by Jay »

Donna wrote:Thanks DDP but I'm no expert either, just learned a lot from the school of hard knocks :D But I do have a friend that does make their own handfeeding formula I myself don't have the time. If you really think about it anything you feed your breeders just make soup out of it and you got your handfeeding formula. In this particular case it's better then nothing.

Very true. Parent birds can only regurgitate to their young whatever food is given to them in the first place. The only addition is the parents can give natural antibodies and feed the food at optimum temperature and timing... plus of course they are much more diligent and efficient feeders than us :lol:
kyria
Site Admin

Post by kyria »

I'm sorry :oops: bad choice of words again .. :( sigh ! .. I only meant as far as handraising and breeding goes you are an expert and in this case I wanted your advice for Matty :wink: . We all learn and keep learning and everyone has much to offer :D because after all the best advice is first hand experience.

Modest man you are :wink:
Angie
---------
-----------
God Bless

mattyboardman

Post by mattyboardman »

well i been keeping my eye on the little one with no feathers and it is being fed i jus missed the hours that it was being fed but now i can see how big the crop is gettin full and its full to the top lol so i might take the 2 middle ones out and hand rear them they are the ones that are getting use to me holding them but i was worried the little one would die but i had my eye on it all today and i seen the crop fullthen empty then full again so it is being fed when it needs too.

so i might go for the middle 2 birds and wait till the featherless one is a bit bigger but i have also noticed its feather pines have started to come threw so i dont think it will be to long till that one starts to feather also i will keep you all updated on what choice i take but i am not worried about the featherless one now it is gettin its daily feeds aswell as the other 3 !

thanks for all the help on this i am pritty up to date on what to do with hand feeding babies now thanks again
Jay

Post by Jay »

kyria wrote:I'm sorry :oops: bad choice of words again .. :( sigh ! .. I only meant as far as handraising and breeding goes you are an expert and in this case I wanted your advice for Matty :wink: . We all learn and keep learning and everyone has much to offer :D because after all the best advice is first hand experience

:lol: Don't be too harsh on yourself Angie. I was actually blushing and humbled by your most generous compliment :wink: And you are so right. Every single one of us is still learning as there is so much to understand about these wonderful creatures.

Matty, if the feathers of the youngest one is pinning, then he/she is roughly 3 weeks old and that's the best time to start handfeeding. The older ones will be a little tougher to teach to be handfed as they have already been accustomed to being fed by their parents.

You may also continue what you are doing wherein you let the babies be fed by their parents but you socialize with them any chance you get. Usually, parent-raised-human-socialized babies will make tame pets but not as tame as the human-fed babies.
kyria
Site Admin

Post by kyria »

depois do prazer wrote:Anyways Matty, feel free to post any questions regarding handfeeding. As already stated, if you want to handfeed and tame only a few, I suggest picking the younger ones. Here is an excellent thread on handfeeding which I think should have been "stickied". Keep us posted with your fids as we are all interested on how they progress.

http://www.indianringneck.com/board/vie ... ght=melika

Done darlin :wink:
Angie
---------
-----------
God Bless