My ringneck is obsessed with jewellery.

Moderator: Mods

Clare

My ringneck is obsessed with jewellery.

Post by Clare »

My ringneck won't leave jewellery alone. If he is on our hands he will chew at our rings or my bracelet until we take it away.

Its becoming anyoying because I have to take off my ring everytime I hold him.

Does anyone else find this?

Clare
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

YES !!!! :roll:
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

Petey

Post by Petey »

The great majority of parrots ( all species) are attracted to jewelry and other metal objects located on the body. It's one of the reasons that a great many people are told to not get into the habit of letting their birds get used to staying on shoulders. Many will go pick at earrings, necklaces, skin tags, clothing,hair etc. Many times they miss their target and it's the skin that gets bitten. That should especially apply to IRNs because one of the major area of questions has to do with biting, bluffing, sneak attacks. Many people who have other species of parrots are warned about the same situation. I have an african grey who when sitting on my lap, loves to pick at my fly and pull it down and chew it. Thank heavens he's not to quick at succeeding because who knows what he'll then bite. In my house it's Johnson that rules the roost, not my parrots.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

This is why I no longer have any piercings. I think I stopped wearing earrings the first year we had Jibby. Then, he used to love to pull on my labret piercing a few years ago but soon got bored after realizing it wasn't going anywhere.

Have you thought of making some 'special' jewelery for him? I just started beading some shiny beads together and made a bracelet that seems to distract Yoda from biting my fingers or my ring. You can also use it to tie your hair (if you can) so it distracts them from earrings.

:lol: Petey, what a cheeky CAG you have!
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Donna

Post by Donna »

So it is true the early bird gets the first worm!!! :lol: :lol:

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Datsun and Family

Post by Datsun and Family »

Mine have been taught from day one not to touch jewellery, and since they were about 3 months none of my babies have gone for rings, earings, and mostly not for necklaces but because I rarely wear them they thing they might get away with necklaces untill I give them "the look" so it can be trained out of them... otherwise birdie jewellery is great and fun to wear!!
-Chamon-

Gemstone

Post by Gemstone »

Amazon attacks rings when you put them in his face its a game with rings, necklaces well he is aloud my necklace it keeps him busy when we are out and about and my earing he can undo my earring so he isnt aloud to play with them and he knows he isnt so he doesnt unless he is shitty at me and wants to attack me he will attack my earring instead
Adam and Dude
Donna

Post by Donna »

Hey guy's you want to be very careful when making birdie jewlery or letting them play with it. A lot of your costume jewlery contains led in the metal. The twist ties and stems in fake flowers are made with led in them too. My rule of thumb on toys is (if it's not safe for a small child don't give it to your bird.)

Donna :D
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
Petey

Post by Petey »

Hey Donna
I agree with that . I saw that same problem happen to a friend of mine that had a conure. He ate some pieces of metal and some plastic on the twist ties and his sweet birdy died within 3 hrs. He had a necropsy doneon the bird $300 and that's what the vet spotted. Parts of the thin metal put a hole in his stomach and he was bleeding. My friend's wife was very depressed for weeks
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

I totally agree Donna. Always make sure things are not toxic or can easily be broken off and swallowed (small beads). I'm using the left over beads I bought from http://www.myparrotshop.com my 2 love the pacifier beads. :D Beware of chain, I noticed most chain bought from hardware stores is zinc coated. Rope or leather is better to use.
Miss_kaos

Post by Miss_kaos »

Hey all, my 8 mointh old irn loves playing with my earings it does get fustrating but oh well lol he has now gone onto my hands.. he will gently grab my skin but then sometimes when he does it'll hurt and i know he knows how much pressure is being applied because he tests around wit it. it isn't very comfortable or nice lol and i was wondering if anyone has had this problem before or if its a thing he'll grow out of??
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Oh yes, they test us all the time. Sometimes act like they are doing something else like playing with jewellery, then get ya by surprise! :roll: Yodas been preening my hair lately but as soon as he sees my ear he grabs hold of it to see what I'll do. Trick is not to react. Let them think it doesn't hurt. You can train them but they will always test us.
laine

Post by laine »

I am glad other have the same problem. Smokey attacks the rings on my right hand - not the left. My right hand rings have a blue stone and the left ones are diamonds. But for some reason he loves the rings on my right hand. I sometimes wish he would play with the left hand cos at least I would still be able to write !! :D He also loves my earrings and necklace but I try to keep them covered as he has nipped me by accident before and it really hurts.
smokie

Post by smokie »

yeb they remind me of magpies love shiny thingz but if y let them now no is the word they soon understand yr the boss not them when i say no to my grey she trys to give me kiss little monkey she is so give her heaps of toys or a peanut instead for her
bevg