Couldn't be happier: question about bluffing though

Moderator: Mods

Aves

Couldn't be happier: question about bluffing though

Post by Aves »

Hello,

I just had to share. I've had Levi (my little indian ringneck) going on 3 weeks now and I couldn't be happier. She's just the sweetest little bird. She started making cute little noises like the squeaking noise the sink makes in the morning when I am changing her water. Also, she was timid at first with being petted and now she loves to be cuddled. She'll just fall asleep right in the nook of your neck. She's a little over three months now, when do most ringnecks start "bluffing". I can't imagine her ever even trying to bite me as it is because she is the most gentle little thing. I feel very fortunate. I'm just curious now about the bluffing onset for most ringnecks (what's a general age :?: ).
:D
"You remain responsible, forever for what you have tamed"
Pounamu

Post by Pounamu »

Ive read on this site that IRN bluffing should usually start around 12-14 months old.
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

They seem to go through stages of bluffing just as a woman may have PMS. Just one day you go to get your baby and its a demon on a perch. :lol:

It can be very upsetting, it was to me. But now I push my Baby through it by not playing into it. Sweet girls usually bluff more than boys, I dont know why?

But with boys, when they bluff they tend to mean it.

No real time frame on bluffing. It comes in cycles much like a womans cycle... noone knows but then they are like 'Ahhhh, cycle. lol

Well, bout the same with bluffing.
~ Mikaela Sky

kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Bluffing can come at different stages depending on the bird. But bluffing should not be confused with general bad moods, which IRN's tend to go through here and there. Mine have definate patterns, a happy content day, a playful fun day, a hungry feeding day, a sleepy dreamy snuggle day and then a viscious fight hate day and around it goes again ... lol

But then you may have a baby like Neo has that never shows an ounce of aggression (not usual but possible) , I think I remember rightly that neo's IRN never went through bluffing or anything similar.

Good Luck :wink:
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

I don't think there is a time frame on bluffing. Don't take bites personally. It can you down but just have to ignore it and push through it. I also confused Yodas snapping and growling with just being territorial of the cage area. Because he only does it when I touch the cage. Like Angie said, Bluffing can be confused with just a bad mood.

For more info on bluffing..
http://www.indianringneck.com/bluffing/

:lol: Mine seem to change mood by the hour. Morning time is happy, play games and chatterbox time by midday its chill out and nibble on food time, afternoon have an hours nap time, Sunset is get my last feed then angry, leave me alone, I'm sleepy time. They get very snappy at bedtime. :roll:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

That how Babys day is as far as moods!

He is a lil freako now that he is a big boy. Now, if he is in a bad mood and doesnt want to step up he:

Bows his head and repeats for as long as I stand there, 'C'mon Baby step up - kiss kiss - gooood boy', but he wont budge an inch! Its annoying but its only after hes asleep and I shouldnt be messing with him anyway!

No more lunges or bites, just bowing that head and repeating all of the step up commands... dork! 8)

Baby was MEAN. Can I get a woop wooop :!:
~ Mikaela Sky

Aves

Post by Aves »

Thanks everyone for your input. I also read over the bluffing information on the website again. I have to accept that it is just going to be a "wait and see", heheh.
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

I had a mean lil boy that grew into a sweet fella. Now mind you, I took many bites... folks here can attest to that. The key is to act like it never happened despite the fact your bleeding and wanting to scream.

Just like screaming, if you dont look in their direction when they do it, they wont... they dont do anything that lacks results. My bird literally NEVER screams or squacks because when he would, I pretended i didnt hear that sound. He now thinks I dont, therefore he doesnt make the sound.

Same applies with biting. If the bite and get no reaction. After about 100 bites lol, they dont do it anymore for it gets no reaction.

Hope all goes well! PM me if you want to get deeper into the issue. I had a demon baby. He was so mean. He would be eating me alive as I was trying to feed him to keep him alive! :lol:
~ Mikaela Sky

Aves

Post by Aves »

Thanks a lot Mickaela. It helps to know what to do should she start acting up in the next few months.