Oh the noise!

Moderator: Mods

alan80

Oh the noise!

Post by alan80 »

We are at the end of out tether with our new gal Beacon. She constantly skwalks at the top of her voice. She is relentless with it. We have been using the NO tactic. Ill ingore most of her noise most of the time but when she starts doing the full volume skwalks Ill go up to her and give her a firm "NO!" she get 3 tries and then she goes into the box in the other room for 5 minutes of birdy timeout. After you get her out she will be good for about 30 seconds and she will be back at it. She can go into her box up to 5 times a night.

Our other girl Bella gets the picture and she barely joins in on these skwalk sessions (unless they are playing chasy's). She has become the quiet one since we got Beacon>
Are we going the wrong way about it? Are there any secrets when it comes to training with 2 birds?
Gemstone

Post by Gemstone »

i guess its birdy talk i believe its something you cant tell them off for, Amazon does it but he mainly does it when he can hear our outside IRN's and he is talking to them so i take Amazon outside for a outside play to be noisey
Adam and Dude
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Our Mickey is the same, there are times of the day that she will be relentless with her squawks. I really am of the opinion that females are noisier than males in that respect, its just natural. But we have a bird room, which helps to dampen her episodes.

She is a wild breeder that has paired with my tame male, (they have already had one successful season). As soon as we get an aviary built they will be going outside as a full on breeding pair, so I really haven't gone into ideas of how to break her out of it, and if you even can.

Thinking .. Thinking ..

Now before we had the whole minagery, we first got Kai our blue male, he use to make wild calls when we first brought him home at 11 months of age, but as he learnt to talk, the more we talked to him, the less he made the wild calls. I think he tended to adapt to the flock (us) and how we communicate. (note: that takes time)

How long have you had beacon and is she beginning to talk yet ?

<Action> Hands to floor over to others.
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

donnanorm

No Sound

Post by donnanorm »

I suppose with our baby Gizmo (10 weeks) and also only being with us 3 days, will take time for him/her to make any sound,but ive heard nothing from our baby since he/she arrived,Gizmo is eating and drinking well and is exploring the cage,I expect when settled then we shall here something :D

Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Oh gosh. Can be annoying huh?

I've come to the conclusion that 2 birds will squark at each other as communication. I know, well dah Lauren.. But I've noticed they have different screams for different things. I've noticed Jibby has been doing totally different screams to Yoda since hes been getting along with him/her. Birdy talkin! But he still has his other screams he does to me for different things. I find it interesting how they communicate to us and other birds.

Yoda will scream at the top of his lungs at every.. single.. bird.. that flys past the window. I live inbetween a creek and the bay, literally, creek out the back, beach across the road, birds everywhere! I shut the blinds when it gets too much.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Hi

I know how relentless a ringneck can be—especially because these parrots are sentinels. I have one particular green female ringneck who makes it very clear she does not want me near her—she lets the neighborhood know by her loud calls. Before I enter the aviary to change the food and water, I usually whistle to prepare her; however, she continues to scream.

On to your parrot now. Screaming can be a difficult behavior to modify but it is possible to change. Have you heard of clicker training? If not, start educating yourself with the link provided below.

Once you get the idea of it, start clicking and rewarding when your ringneck is quiet. When you click the clicker repeat, “quiet” and reward your bird. You’ll need to stay very consistent with it and work daily on it. Gradually increase the time lengths and reward for good behavior.

Also, parrots do not understand punishment as we humans do. Rather, they perceive punishment as a reward (in your case). By you running to your parrot and yelling NO—you are giving in to screaming. The parrot knows you will eventually come to her. Ringnecks are very fascinated by our movements, expressions, and body language. Remember, communication is much different in a parrot’s eye.

My pet Archimedes loves to scream a times and I just ignore it. I don’t turn around, don’t look at him, or do anything to make a reference to it. This is key. Once 1 or 2 minutes pass—he gets the clue and continues talking. Please remember though that parrots are not quiet by nature and it is impossible to completely stop the screaming.

The parrot you are working with was it handfed? Or was it an aviary bred bird?

Best Wishes,

Imran Chaudhry

http://www.geocities.com/heartland/acres/9154/
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

*shudders*

They are especially noisey right now. Moulting and the end of breeding season (atleast here)

Ringies can be relentless in the squawking...and I hate to tell you this but that's how they will be. There is no training a bird to 'be silent'. As I am typing this Prinny is squawking as loudly as possible because it is morning...I deal...something we gotta put up with.

As Imran noted...any attention is good attention. Like some people...parrots THRIVE on the drama :D

Dani
alan80

Post by alan80 »

Our noisy parrot is hand raised and only went into and aviary 6 months before we got her. She is 2yo now. She has settled down a bit since the first post. The birds now have their own room and are behaving them selves at bedtime and in the morning.

So any response is a good response in the birds eyes? Hmmm this makes things more difficult. I understand that the NO method is not going to work for noise. And they do get rewarded when they do something good or are well behaved. How about the timeout idea? Is putting the offending bird to bed for 5 minutes away from everyone else not so good?
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

The 6 months in the aviary was time enough for your fid to lose some of its tame nature and to learn the wild calls from the other birds in the aviary, it became a part of the bird flock.

Time will have it become part of your family flock, I believe it is just time away from the calls of the wild and it copying your voice and noises that will help it lose some of the wild bird noises and calls.

I really think it comes down to IRN's will always be capable of being noisey, particularly at certain times of the day and during breeding season etc. its just natural for a bird to make bird calls. The only thing we can hope is that being a part of the human flock they tend towards speaking rather than squawking!.
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

Typhon

Post by Typhon »

Some of you probably dont remember me, nor did i expect you to. But typhon is also as loud as possible in the morning and sometimes just randomly throughout the day. Plus, he keeps launching his food out of his bowl whenever i give him fresh food, i dont know why. He throws everything...even his precious apple chunks i cut for him. I dont mean to hijack a thread, but i felt maybe it was relevant and am also searching for an answer.
alan80

Its Still Happening

Post by alan80 »

Its been near 2 months since I put the first post up about Beacons noise. For the past month we have been ignoring her skwalking. But it seems to have made the problem worse. Its no longer a case of her having small noise sessions. They last from wakeup to bedtime. We cant watch TV cant even think in the house. You can let her out of the cage and she skwalks, put her outside and she skwalks, put her on the ground she skwalks. I dont know what she wants, She doesnt get attention from it and she isnt talking to Bella as Bella doesnt talk back.

What can I do? I dont want to give up but we cannot live with her. I feel like a failure as she will be up for adoption soon.

I can put up a recording of her if it will help

Please Help
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

My Ajendra is my alarm clock. He goes to bed at 5.30 (its Winter in Australia- almost Spring) and wakes pretty late at 9.00. I'm a Uni student so I naturally sleep in most days. I'm thinking about not letting him have bedtime until much later, but since Summer is coming soon it naturally is lighter at 5.30 til 9pm anyway.

He is starting to enjoy my company and is slowly accepting my hands to step up. He is tame but spending 6 months in a pet store he wasn't really taught step up properly. So now he screams for my attention which I half love and half hate.

My family hate it. I shut my bedroom door and you can hear him through the house, even in the backyard. Squark Squark Squark like its all one tone and on and on and on and on.

I open a pack of crisps in the kitchen, he'll wake and SQUARK as if "Gimme a chip NOW!" And I go to my room and he's clinging to the bars in delight.

Once Im not home, or home and paying him attention he is fine. If Im home and he knows (he can hear SO well) he squarks until I make notice of him.
Klaatu

Post by Klaatu »

Guess I am pretty lucky. Klaatu only makes a few squacks a day. And he is so quiet about it most neighbors think it is a jay bird or something. My neighbors really don't even know I have an IRN.
Gort, Klaatu Barada Nikto
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Screams get no response. Period... not even a glance. Ringnecks are crafty... they dont waste time and energy on things that get no result. My ringneck believes I am unable to hear that noise, therefore not making it.

My husband is very noise sensitive so I knew in order to keep a bird I had to have a quiet one. Mine never lets out a peep unless it is talking to other birds outside. Outside, he does carry on with other birds.

I am 150% convinced my bird is screamless because from day one the screams were completely ignored, as was my Baby until he chilled out. They dont like being ignored so I equate it with screaming.

Most effective, in my case. :wink:
~ Mikaela Sky

Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

*giggle*

Do not get an Alexandrine...I swear they make more noise that a macaw sometimes!

As mentioned...don't give the bird any attention whatsoever...they are very smart and will catch on that 'Hey...I scream...I get attention.'

They do NOT understand the difference between 'bad' attention and 'good' attention...you yelling is just as good as you praising!

Dani
mareta

Post by mareta »

Be consistant as possible and this goes for everyone in the house. From my experience you have to not only train the bird, but the husband :wink: . One slip up can take back a lot of progress no matter who does the slipping.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Totally agree. Training the 'Man of the house' is sometimes harder than training the birds! :roll:

By the way, I don't know what I was getting at in my last post. Disregard it. Lol! :lol:
alan80

Post by alan80 »

There is a lot of man bashing going on here. I am the man of the house (just don't let Mia know that I think that) lol

We are getting there slowly. We have figgured out when its attention seeking and when its just talking. Attention seeking is a couple of skwalks followed by running up and down the perch trying to see if we are watching. Mostly Bella but Beacon does it from time to time. They have both started wolf whistling which we are rewarding and they are realising that whistling gets more attention than skwalking.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

:lol:

Good to hear of your progress! Its so funny when they pace up and down there perch. Jibby does it as soon as I put him in his cage and he knows its because I'm eating my dinner and he can't have any!
Sunny

Post by Sunny »

I'm so glad that I found this thread, as my Sunny has become the worst screamer since we moved to the new house.

All I can do is cover him up so he can't see anything.
Klaatu

Post by Klaatu »

Klaatu is more and more demanding all the time. I work a normal job so he gets to spend most of 2 days a week getting spoiled but, during the rest of the wek he is alone. It is faLL here and the days are getting shorter. When I get home there is barely and hour of light for us to share some time with. I don't know if he screams all day or not but, I think not. I think he starts the minute he hears me come in the door.
Gort, Klaatu Barada Nikto