I'am about to give up

Moderator: Mods

Rico's Mom

I'am about to give up

Post by Rico's Mom »

ok I'am about to give up here and put a for sale sign on Jaden and her cage , lol,. she still does this lunging and biting thing 9 times out of 10 when i go to get her out of her cage , today she did but i took her out any way, then she decided to bite my nose when i went to touch her on her head geezzzzzzzzz u would think for her being with us almost a month now she would be used to me and sheis going on 14 weeks old, any advice before i put her up for sale , I know patience ptience , I'am trying but my patience is wearing thin here . she is seeming to bond really well with my hubby he has no problems with and he can touch her any where , I want her to be used to both of us not just him Helpppppppppppppppp
Donna

Post by Donna »

Sorry to burst your bubble here but with birds you don't always get what you want. I think the problem is you are showing your frustration to the bird. Don't laugh, birds are very in tune with our feelings and they really pic up on good and bad vibes from us humans in an instant. Sorry things aren't going well but you have to keep trying. Once you give up then re homing might be best for you and the bird.
:(

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
Rico's Mom

Running out of patience here

Post by Rico's Mom »

ok talked to hubby tonight, he says I'am giving in to quick,so I'am going to have more patience and wait this one out , also I'am going to find a nice quiet rom for her and me to have a talk and get to know each other and hope in time things get better :)
Donna

Post by Donna »

SHEW!!! For a minute there I thought I was going to have to come and get you and take you out for a beer... Oh wait a minute I'm already drinking so I can't drive. LOL I know you love this little bugg but would it be so wrong for It to bond with hubby?? I have birds hangin around here that wants nothing to do with me and I'm ok with that. We let them bond with who ever they want and some never really form a bond with either of us but I still love em :D

Now be cool and if ya have another melt down
you know were to go.

Donna :D
In Loving Memory

I miss you both
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

treats, shower her with attention and treats, feed her, change her water, as she learns you take care of her she will begin to bond with you. Show her no matter what she dishes up you will keep trying and you will break through to her that you love her. :wink:
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

Rico's Mom

Running out of patience here

Post by Rico's Mom »

ok ty both for the advice, I do all the feeding and taking care of both my birds, hubby just sits and plays with them , easy job he has, i tried a few times tonight to get Jaden out of her cage and I don't believe I asked her if she wanted out opened the cage door and placed my hand 1 perch below where she was at , to my suprise she stepped right out, no lunging no biting , wowwwwwwwwww I WAS AMAZED , I sure hope this is a good sign :)
Aves

Post by Aves »

Good luck with your birdie Rico's mom,

If it is any consolation, when I first got my tiel, Pidget (not the same type of bird, I know) he bonded with my "ex" boyfriend and didn't want anything to do with me. Several years later, with a lot of patience and coolness, he warmed up to me and I scruff him like a puppy these days. I think the trick is to not expect anything, just be very calm with birds. Even when Pidget would bite me I'd just be very calm about it (though hurt insideand of course at the site of injury) and keep feeding him and talking sweetly and calmly to him each day. Now he actually prefers me, and did even for the short while my ex was still around after I started this tactic. I'm glad I was patient with him because he is my baby now. Some birds are really skiddish and want only one person to be the light in their eyes, patience and being calm no matter what did the trick with Pidget.
Hope this can help somewhat... hang in there.
"You remain responsible, forever for what you have tamed"
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Oh darling! We can all get a little frustrated sometimes. Its ok. But keep in mind, its going to take some time. Just keep on loving Jaden. Do everything you can to show her that you are a good person. I know.. give give give but you cant see results?

I'm having the same problems with Yoda. No matter how much I hold my hand/arm out for step ups.. he lunges and fights even when I've got a treat. Occasionally he will be obedient. He knows what he has to do, but would rather fight me instead. I think I'm doing everything right. But I'm seeing even the smallest changes everyday. He might want to just chat to me, or walk up to me as I'm sitting at the computer and just look at me. What I'm trying to say is small steps!

Goodluck and keep us updated.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Ah the joys of ringie keeping. Honestly it sounds like you are doing pretty good!

If you go through the older database here on IRN.com you can find some totally awesome training tricks...or maybe the mods can make some of the really good ones sticky so the rest of us can have them on hand. Training a ringie isn't easy...but it is totally worth it once you have their trust.

Dani
julie

Post by julie »

Its a shame Jen isnt around :cry: she would be able to give you some good advice. Jen was in the same position as you and now she has tame irns.
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Yeah Julie...wish she was around again...as anyone heard from her?

She tamed down a 'mean' little bugger of a ringie

Dani
Rico's Mom

Still working on taming new IRN

Post by Rico's Mom »

I think I have decided it's hubbys bird, she responds real well to him and he just adores her, she will come to me butttttttt she doesn't want any touching her from me , she lets him snuggle and just do anything with her, I guess she is a daddy's girl, o well I have Sunny my little girl :) she is all momma's girl :)and we are thinking about getting our last bird here a Hahns Macaw , this time a male , buying from a breeder that doesn't live far from me and she will have the babies DNA tested to make sure we get our little boy
Donna

Post by Donna »

Are you sure you want to go with a bigger bird when you where thinking of throwing in the towel on the little one? Do your research first on the macaws. Even the small macaws have the same disposition and voice of the larger ones. What if the Hahn's bonds with your hubby and not you, What will you do then? I'm not trying to talk you out of this and I'm not trying to be mean but If I were you I'd wait and get a little more experience with the little birds under your belt before you venture into the world of larger birds.

In Loving Memory

I miss you both
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

I totally agree with Donna. We dont need to be buying birds and having to rehome them. Please, do your homework. Ringnecks are *really* good birds across the board.

I would suggest a cockatiel, not a macaw or cockatoo or the likes. The bigger the beak, the bloodier the bite and the louder the squack. :lol:
~ Mikaela Sky

kyria
Site Admin

Post by kyria »

Hahn's macaws are a smaller bird.

This is one with a quaker

And perched on a hand

So its not so much the size, but the ability to handle another bird that I would be concerned about. I too agree you should give it a little time and more thought. But then it's totally your choice :wink:
Angie
---------
-----------
God Bless

Donna

Post by Donna »

Yes Hahn's are a smaller bird but don't let the size full you!! A macaw is a macaw no matter what the size. It's not a species that I would recommend to some one that has not had much bird experience.

I have talked to Rico's Mom personally and love her to death and I wouldn't want her to get a bird that is going to be to hard for her to handle down the road. We all have to start some where but be smart in your choices and research every aspect of the bird your wanting.

In Loving Memory

I miss you both
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

I think everyone should be made to start off with a cockatiel, then pass certain tests by the state to be able to move 'up'. :lol:

Cockatiels rock as a first bird, all the responsibility of any other bird but lesser and fewer bites. lol

All I know is what I know. And I know if I was having a time dealing with a ringneck I wouldnt be 'stepping up'. I would be getting a tiel or a Quaker.

I just dont what any rehoming going on needlessly. :cry:
~ Mikaela Sky

Donna

Post by Donna »

Mikaela wrote:I just dont what any rehoming going on needlessly. :cry:

I agree!! My life's work is trying to educate people before buying any bird. These are wild animals and we must not take that for granted.

Donna
In Loving Memory

I miss you both
Rico's Mom

Hahns macaw

Post by Rico's Mom »

ok I have done my research for weeks now and I have talked to a few people and the breeder several times, this is not just my bird it will be hubbys bird to and I'am still working with Jaden ,some days are good some she is aggressive , as far as a Quaker I already have one named Sunny , and my hubby used to have cockatiels a few years back before we ever got married , they are ok birds in my book, but i don't want to buy one, sory we made our decission for sure last nite to get a Hahns macaw :wink:
kyria
Site Admin

Post by kyria »

Sounds like you definately know what you are doing :D
Angie
---------
-----------
God Bless

Lauren
Site Admin

Re: Still working on taming new IRN

Post by Lauren »

Rico's Mom wrote: our last bird here a Hahns Macaw , this time a male , buying from a breeder that doesn't live far from me and she will have the babies DNA tested to make sure we get our little boy

Sounds like you've already had some experience with a Hahns. :wink:

Wow, I had no idea Hahns Macaws were so little. I've only ever seen pictures of them on their own, never compared to another bird. Fooled me! :D
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

They are little runts huh! lol

Big as any other 'large parrot' when it comes to everything else though. :twisted:

Good luck! Pics!
~ Mikaela Sky

Andreya

Post by Andreya »

I sooo understand the not "stepping up" thing now, after getting a Ringneck. I thought, ah, it's not much bigger than a Cockatiel... it's not always the size that matters. My Nigey thinks he's king of the world when he's up on his playstand. :)
Andi