The word NO

Moderator: Mods

Gemstone

The word NO

Post by Gemstone »

So whos fids respone to this word and how.

Amazon knows the word NO very well if he is told NO he will look at you move away and then wait, when you turn your eyes he goes for it again whatever it is. At the moment its power leads and phones etc.

Well yesterday i was having ice-cream (NO NO for Amazon) he thought he would come adn see what is in my bowl put his head in and took a bit, i said Amazon NO thats not for you and pushed him away, he got so angry and started attacking my ring on the other hand (not the hand that pushed him away) he did this for a good few mintues then went for the ice-cream again this was repeated so many times until i got sick of it and put him back on the floor, sure enough Amazon climbed the back of the couch and did a sneaky mission to the ice-cream.

The only bit he got was the first time he came to the bowl, i have not seen he get this upset because his mummy said NO.

So what does your little one do when you say NO and do they understand it
Adam and Dude
Pounamu

Post by Pounamu »

Pounamu just looks at me puzzled when i say 'no' (probably not good i call him/her 'POU' (which sounds like NO) for short).. maybe i should change his/her name.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Hehe, typical!

Yoda hates the word NO! Its the only word Yoda knows the meaning of other than 'Up Up'. Yoda will puff up, pin and growl at me when I say it. Especially when its bedtime!
Definately hates that word! Even starts doing the 'death scream' at me!

Jibby just looks at me and turns away like 'I didnt do it! Nup Nup! I a good birdy!'

:roll: Jibby also trys the sneak tactics when getting food of me. He sneak up behind me on the couch and peers over my shoulder. Then he'll jump right onto my lap and force his way into the bowl!
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
pearl

Post by pearl »

if he is told NO he will look at you move away and then wait, when you turn your eyes he goes for it again whatever it is. At the moment its power leads and phones etc.

this exactly what my rose does when she starts chewing my wallpaper
and i say no she will look at me then move away and then wait as soon as i turn my eyes she goes for it again
but if this repeats three times then she understands that i mean it and she goes away

Pounamu just looks at me puzzled when i say 'no' (probably not good i call him/her 'POU' (which sounds like NO) for short).. maybe i should change his/her name.

:D :D :D thats funny
poor baby must be confused to where as are you sweet talking him/her or are you seriously saying NO hehehe :wink:
giantfoot_truck

Post by giantfoot_truck »

I rather say "dont" or "stop" than "no", because dont and stop mean like "stop and dont do that again" but if you say no you are only telling the bird "no doing that for now", but it will carry on again later.
pearl

Post by pearl »

giantfoot_truck wrote:I rather say "dont" or "stop" than "no", because dont and stop mean like "stop and dont do that again" but if you say no you are only telling the bird "no doing that for now", but it will carry on again later.

THAT IS A GOOD POINT IF YOU GO TO SEE

I MIGHT START SAYING STOP IT
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

I don't think the word actually matters. You can say anything for example 'icecream' and teach them that means 'stop, dont, no'. And they will associate 'icecream' with the meaning of 'thats naughty, I shouldnt do that.'.
giantfoot_truck

Yes it doesn't matter to parrot who dont know anything, but it does matter to a smart one, they also think you know.

Anyway this is from the "guide to a well behaved parrot" book, you are right it doesn't matter to those who arent smart enough.

Before I used to say "no!" whenever lovy does something bad, and she still carry on, but if I say "dont!" or "stop!" she really stopped, maybe because the word sound different or something.

You can say anything to make them stop doing bad thing, but then it will be strange if you said "icecream" to make them stop, it doesn't sound so smart is it when you are saying that in front of many people, for example if you are on the show to show everyone your birds talent. :lol:
Gemstone

Post by Gemstone »

Amazon doesnt care for the words stop or dont he will look at you as to say what ever hence why NO is used in our house.

Cheecky little boy i tell you.
Adam and Dude
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Jibby will stop if I say the word 'NO' but with Yoda it takes a little more. I usually say 'No' if Yoda doesnt stop I say 'Uh Uh Uh!' .. meaning thats it! Its cage time! Time out time. On the naughty perch! Lol. This seems to work. I didn't really think of the words I was saying. It just sort of fitted with what I was trying to get them to do.

I just think you can teach them any word as long as you show them what it means. :D
Gemstone

Post by Gemstone »

thats cool PsittaculaChick i find i use uh uh uh too, and he stops what he is doing aswell,

i dont have a naughty place for him and i dont lock him in his cage he gets told No and thats it really
Adam and Dude
giantfoot_truck

Well bird differ and its up to you whether you want to teach your bird to really understand like human or not, I would say "dont" or "stop" and lovy will stop, like how to stop human child when they are being naughty.

You can teach them with any word to make them stop doing something like icecream or uh uh uh whatever it is, but then they wont be used to human language like "dont" or "stop", they will just think its "non-sense" word and wouldn't bother stopping until you say uh uh uh, ice cream or whatever you teach them with.

I know I know its up to you whatever you want to teach your bird with, they are yours afterall.

Im just writing my opinion.
Gemstone

Post by Gemstone »

giantfoot_truck
im not saying i dont repect your opinion, but i find that Amazon understands NO just as well as your fid understands stop or dont, i work with children and use the word NO as well and they know just like Amazon No = naughty

Thanks for your opinion though
Adam and Dude
nichole123

Post by nichole123 »

He tells me "no" right back... then does what he wants :lol:
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

:lol: CHEEKY BUGGA! Yoda just growls at me and does whatever hes doing one more time just to stick it to me. But Yoda knows what it means and he doesnt like it one bit! :roll:
alana8819

Post by alana8819 »

i use uh uh with cookie and he stops straight away he is not sneaky at all when he tries to steal food just climbs straight up my leg and dives into the food or tries to steal it when i go to put it in my mouth he gets super cranky when he cant have any.
laine

Post by laine »

Hi. I have only just seen this posting and find it interesting that your bird reponds in just the way my ringneck does. However, if my partner Brett says no, Smokey backs off immediately. Is it the deeper tone of a male voice that makes him realise he means business. I need a hand to gently push him away while saying no to get any response but alas it falls on deaf ears cos 3 seconds later he's back doing the same thing. At the moment Smokey's thing is our laptops or mobile phones. He has had his wings clipped back even further cos the little devil was flying around to locate the new hiding place of the mobile phones. He would hunt them down and play with his reflection in the screen and knock on it with his beak leaving big scratch marks and birdy slobber :) . With the laptops he enjoys taking off the keys. :evil: The tv remotes are another favorite as he likes to chew off the buttons. Not funny either :roll: . If Smokey heads to a cable or wiring and i call out NO he does come away though.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Tell me bout it. :roll: Yoda has chewed our phone line. I think we've gone through atleast 2 lines already. :x