Guess what??

Moderator: Mods

Newbirdmom

Guess what??

Post by Newbirdmom »

I was at Oscar cage last night and kissing his feet like normal. The one thing he does let me do with out running and I almost got to pet him. Then I took him out of his cage and wraped him in a small blanket and he let me pet him on his head with no biteing. Also at the end I have him pearch on my finger by his cage and he stood there a good min befor going in the cage. I think he is understanding I will not hurt him. I try the treat thing in my hand and he still wont take it from me. He drops to the bottom all the time. I hope he does come a round he is a cool little bird and O do like him just hate the brusing and blood he has caused.
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Woohooo! Well done to both of you :D That is fantastic ! So happy for ya
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

Newbirdmom

Post by Newbirdmom »

I did it again tonight YAY he was yelling hat me at first but after some time he stoped and sat there. I even pet his head with out him bitting me. When he is in his cage I alway go to him and kiss his feet and today he let me pet him with out him going crazy that my hand is there. I think I am just going to make myself hold him everyday. Even if he wants to be alone I still going to do it.
CatsChair

Post by CatsChair »

I am so glad you are making progress! Sounds like you are well on your way!
MCS
kyria
Site Admin

Post by kyria »

Yep thats the way. Jordan didn't like me wrapping my arms around him and cuddling him as he climbed up my front , or grabbing his head and kissing him all over his cheek and his beak, but I kept doing it. Now he stops and waits and expects it, he loves it.
Angie
---------
-----------
God Bless

Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Happy for you! Progress is progress. Only gets better! :wink:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Newbirdmom

Post by Newbirdmom »

See with Maya he let me do everything with him. I also hand fed him for a few weeks. He would just love to be petted and rubed he was an awasome bird. Oscar just need time to trust me befor we can be friends I guess. He does call me over he says come here baby and give me kiss noises. When I get over there he wait for him feet to get kissed it is cute. Now he is only 10mo or so I thought he was a year. He talks so much I need to try to get it on the cam becouse it is so cute. I have him in the livingroom where everyone is I think that helps alot. Everyone talks to him when they come in the door.
Newbirdmom

Post by Newbirdmom »

Well he is now staing on my finger a little longer with out trying to bite me. I do hold him with a peice of cloth around him. I can now chrach around his head and give him kisses on the beak. In his cage he now comes and gives me kisses. I think he is starting to trust me.
kyria
Site Admin

Post by kyria »

things will just get better and better from now on, keep up the good work. Before long he is going to be so all over you, you will be wondering why you ever made him that tame. lol .. :roll:
Angie
---------
-----------
God Bless

TropicalAussie

Post by TropicalAussie »

That is so fantastic!!! I can't wait for Iago to become even that comfortable with me.
You must be so excited. :lol:
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Congrats on the progress! You'll have that little guy tamed down in no time

Dani
Newbirdmom

Post by Newbirdmom »

I am so happy that he is trusting me he is eatting a strawberry as we speak. He wont eat from my hand but he does know I will not hurt him. He got caught in my hair last night and only bit my ear once it was not too hard. Note to self put hair up when holding Oscar. I even got him to sit on the moniter like Maya did and he liked it. :)
pearl

Post by pearl »

that is so great .you and oscar are progressing sooo much
there is one thing about these lovely silly birds is they look so innocent and addorable that we just cant resist and stop our selves from giving them a really big hug with both arms around them a lot of cuddles as they are so fluffy and cuddly and lots and lots of kisses

every time my rose steps up and asks a scrith from me with that fluffy face of hers i just get carried away and end up cuddling her and kissing her so much that she starts to run away from me heheheheh

then i realize oh did i just over did a bit :roll: :roll: :roll:
she must be thinking woh wooh woooh women calm down will yaa
I AM A LIVING BIRD YOU KNOW NOT A CUDDLY FLUFFY TEDDYBEAR heheheheh
oh well i suppose she will get used to my cuddling and snuggling as well
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Yep, Having a bird stuck in your hair is a struggle. I have to unhook all Jibbys toes while hes biting and growling at me because he seems to think his wings will get him out of anything. Always remember to put hair up when birdy on shoulder. :lol:

Pearl, I go a lil overboard too sometimes (in my mind though lol). I used to have a fat cuddly white floppy eared bunny, I still seem to think birdys are as cuddly as a bunny. I just want to squishie cuddle em!
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

he he :lol: Good that your making progress, if you have the patience then you will defiantly succeed. Don't get too exited, keep it at a steady pace, u don't want to overwhelm him and lose his trust in you. Good work :wink:
Always thinking of you Beau!

Zack& Joey Were ever you may be!

Newbirdmom

Post by Newbirdmom »

Naaa I don't I spend about 15min a day or so with him on my finger any more than that he get kinda on edge and I put him back in his cage. I did do a swich with the 2 new birds and him they got his cage and he got there becouse his was bigger. He seems to be doing well in this one talking more and not as scared when I come to the cage. he just loves his kisses all the time. The only thing he does now is take his pellet food from onside of his cage and drop it in the water dish on the other. He didn't have a water dish in the big cage it was a bottle so I have to cange it all the time. I am getting him a water bottle for this cage real soon. Aslo he learned to get out of this cage it was easier just slide up the door. I found him in the morning on my CD rack pushing all my CDs off. it was funny. After I get him somewhat time I need to work on the new birds (who still have no names) they freak like he did when I first got him.

Currie
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

he he, what a character, yea chook loves to dump the pellets in the water, I think its to soften them
Always thinking of you Beau!

Zack& Joey Were ever you may be!

giantfoot_truck

Post by giantfoot_truck »

Guys if you said "wrap my bird in small blanket" to pet it does it mean you just wrap them normally like how you wrap thing up? what if the bird start to struggle and move around, do you have to hold them hard enough so they wont get away and start petting them, wont they be stressed? im confused :roll: :?:
giantfoot_truck

Is this the way of wrapping the bird and start petting it so it will later enjoy petting?
http://webzoom.freewebs.com/featheredfa ... welpt4.jpg

If anyone can correct me and show me how to wrap the bird to train it.
Newbirdmom

Post by Newbirdmom »

I did wrap Oscar like that and pet his head. He never did try to get out and I only did it for a short time. Now he stands on my finger and I pet his head that way. He is slowly getting better and I do talk to him when I do.
giantfoot_truck

Oh ok, so that is how to tame ringneck who were not friendly huh?
So your oscar is doing well then, Do you buy him as an adult?
Newbirdmom

Post by Newbirdmom »

He was 6mo when I got him in Jan so he is 11mo now. I did not touch him for like 3mo I wanted to make sure he settled in. I talked to him and I did try to pet him when I feed him. I still need to use a sock when I pick him up in the cage but once he is out he is a good boy. I think it is all about his cage thing. He even is letting me scrach his head and neck and he steps up with no biting. YAY I have not been bit in a month now :).
giantfoot_truck

Nice :D ! Your oscar must have started to trust and love you, is he the one on your avatar? Thats the one cute IRN.
Newbirdmom

Post by Newbirdmom »

That is my baby bird Maya he flew away back in Jan I just don't have the heart to change it. I got Oscar a few weeks later.