HOT? - A cheap way to cool off your birds

Moderator: Mods

texbird

HOT? - A cheap way to cool off your birds

Post by texbird »

If you cannot afford airconditioning, you might want to consider a misting evaporative cooler. These can lower temperature about 10-20 degrees depending on temp and humidity.

an online seller with pictures (i have never used this company) http://www.mistymate.com/pet-cooling.html

You can find these at garden centers(Lowes, Home Depot) or some sporting/camping stores.

There are 3 size solutions:
1. Hand pump: If the problem isnt too serious you can use hand pump version but you need to spray them about every 5 minutes.

2. Spiral Floor hose: You can get one of the spiral misters hose misters that sits on the floor and run a hose to it and leave it on all the time if you have a big problem and an aviary. Put a fan behind it for a better effect.

3. Multi-nozzle Hose: This is along hose with like 10 nozzles you hang above the area to be cooled - for aviaries.

But I would not over do it. You dont want the birds constantly moist - would lead to fungus problems on the birds and your walls. So make sure they are cooled but not constantly wetted by the mist. Keep them far enough away from the constantly ON misters so they get the cooler air but arent hit directly by the water droplets. Hand mister dries out between sprays so shouldn't be a problem.
CatsChair

Post by CatsChair »

They have something like these in the playgrounds of the day care center at work. It is right out the window, but down a few floors, from my old office and the first few times they turned them on I thought the place was on fire!
MCS
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

What a great idea! Thanx.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year