Brand new cockatiel!

Moderator: Mods

awesome-o

Brand new cockatiel!

Post by awesome-o »

Hey guys, well... my girlfriend and i were bored, so we went to a nice big bird pet store... aaaaaand to cut a long story short, we came home with a 6 week old cockatiel to add to our lutino ring neck!

Just a quick couple of things as when we bought Charlie she was about 3 months of age...

1. Echo (cockatiel) is a bit of a sleepy head.. I presume this is normal behavior because she is so young.. Correct?

2. Charlie (RN) is very eager to get as close as possible to Echo, and is very persistent in trying to jump cages lol... I presume charlie wants to assert some authority or something like that... Anyone been in a similar situation? and how did you make them friendly?

Thanks guys, will post some pics soon!
Owner of 1 ringneck: Charlie
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Hey, Welcome ECHO! Yep, your addicted to fids! hehe. Have you taken Echo to an avian vet since you got him? 6 weeks? thats YOUNG! Weaned? At 6 weeks I wouldnt thing so.

I'd watch Charlie and Echo. Especially being new to the flock and being soo young.

Sorry I cant help with getting a tiel and an IRN to get along. Unfortunetly, Gilbert never got along with our tiel 'Chicky'. Chicky plucked, ripped its chest open and flew away never to be found even though his wings were clipped. We left Chickys cage outside for days. My sister called for him. RIP Chicky. We tried. :cry: We then got a white tiel with a grey spot on a wing the day after we lost Chicky. (My dad felt bad for my lil sister that was so close to Chicky). Gilbert still didnt get along with this one. But 6 years on, Gilberts fave word is CHICKY! So not a good story but Im sure others will help.

Mik has a nice story of an IRN and a Tiel happily living together though. :wink:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

:lol:

They have a love we can only dream of -sigh-
~ Mikaela Sky

CatsChair

Post by CatsChair »

My IRN seems a bit aggressive with the tiels, so I keep them apart. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your new baby!
MCS
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Me too!
~ Mikaela Sky

CricketsMum

Post by CricketsMum »

My IRN and tiel grew up together. So you'd think they'd be best of friends. They were fed their handrearing food on the bench together and everything. But, alas, I didn't allow them to keep their love for each other going because they were bonding to each other. Now, 2 years later, my IRN is a real bitch to my tiel and will lunge and bluff whenever I let them near each other.... sigh. So it's a bit of a bummer, but I'd rather have both birds bonded to me than to each other. :shock:

Can't wait for pics :wink: