Insomniac?

Moderator: Mods

Lauren
Site Admin

Insomniac?

Post by Lauren »

In the last few days Gilbert does not want to go to bed. Ive had troubles trying to get him to shut eyes and sleep, well after dark! He screams for my attention everytime I leave the room. He wont sleep in his cage even though I gave the new perch to Yoda who seems fine with it. Hes also very grumpy at night.
Ive left the cage door open so he can choose wherever he wants to sleep, Ive tried giving him a 'snack' before bed, Ive tried putting his bell in different places. He doesnt seem to be comfortable with any sleeping arrangments.

Is there something wrong? What can I do? Hes never been like this. Im worried. :cry:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Kateykat

Post by Kateykat »

Chickie is there any reason he can't just sleep out of his cage? Pepper and Silk sleep on the boing and on the red rope thingy every night.
Oops I just read again, that you leave the door open. Lol didn't see that :oops: . Maybe he is just feeling lousy? Poor Gilbert, hope he feels right again soon
Kate
Life is tough, and if you have the ability to laugh at it you have the ability to enjoy it.
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Poor Gilbert, I bet he is MEAN by now... lack of sleep makes my babies hateful.

Like Katey said... can you leave him out? See how that works? None of my babies ever see cages so I dont know how others homes are set up.

If all else fails, AND LAST RESORT, we might actually have to cover half of his cage tonight... I know, they dont dig that... IRN's. But some things take an outside approach for results.

Please, dont cover all of his cage though. You really will have one confused, scared, pissed off bird. Just the top half and the back is MORE than enough. :wink:
~ Mikaela Sky

Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

I hope hes not sad. Hes had a tough time being bullied by lil Yoda lately. But I make sure he still has his 'routines', a fair share of food and lots of cuddles.

Ill see how he goes with the new cage I'm getting in a week hopefully.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Mik, He is evil bird when hes tired! :evil: He screams for my attention, looks as if he wants a cuddle or head scratch.. then bites me!

Ive just let him decide where he wants to sleep. Im not closing any cage doors anymore.

Thanx for your replys. :wink:
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Baby is getting bullied by Buddy pretty good right now too.

He isnt pouty, more alert... I would say. I am now MAKING them share a stand beause Buddy is mean and bites other birds. Hard. My birds have sense enough to flee than to fight so when one flees the perch... right back up like nothing happened.

Buddy never knew another bird and he doesnt want these around. He is going to have to learn to be friends or they cant play/perch/all be together.

Day 2 of the 'return which ever bird that got off stand' and the beaking matches (minor and of no concern) has stopped and everyone is doing their own thing.

The birds realized two things from this consistancy:

If I flutter off stand, it is a waste of my time because I end up right back there before I hit the floor.

Buddy has learned to hang out and let the youngens play and not be so grouchy about it. Hes about 4. He thinks they are silly and immature. :roll:

But he is learning... he IS NOT going to run them off and take over.
~ Mikaela Sky

Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Gilbert will flee as soon as Yoda comes within a few steps of him. But Yoda waits till Im not looking to try to bite Gilbert. Cheeky Bugga!
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

So Gilbert is younger but you have had him longer?

Yoda is older and more recent?

Thats the boat Im in. Or is your situation flip-flooped... yoda older and had longer, Gilbert younger had him a short time?
~ Mikaela Sky

Peanut

Post by Peanut »

aww. poor gilbert. hope he's feeling better and sleeping better soon! ~hugs~
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Yoda is 4 months and Gilbert is 6 years old. Ive had Gilbert for 6 years now. Other way round! :wink: Yoda is the bird bully.
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Ha!
~ Mikaela Sky