Bedtime Finally!

Moderator: Mods

Lauren
Site Admin

Bedtime Finally!

Post by Lauren »

Tonight has not been the usual bedtime routine with Gilbert. Never in his 6 years of life has he refused to sleep in a cage! :shock:

I bought a calcium perch today to help trim his nails. He HATED it so I took it out of his cage. But still he refuses to go in there.

I dont mind him not sleeping in his cage. But Im just worried as this is unusual for him to be acting so scared.

Im so worried about Gilbert. He was begging for cuddles and head scratches before. Even let me rub his belly! Which he has never let anyone do! Then didnt want me to leave him. Everytime I said 'night night' and left the room he screamed his guts out!

He finally settled down and I left him to sleep where ever he chose. What is going on? All this just because of a new perch? Its now 11.30pm and hes asleep ontop of Yodas cage. :? (they dont like each other much) :shock:

In 2 weeks Im buying Gilbert a new cage with a playgym ontop so if he wants he can sleep up there. I will also give the new perch and Gilberts cage to Yoda who seems to love it.

Whos fids dont sleep in cages?
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Although each of my birds own cages, none of them ever go into them.

Ever.

My home is bird proof and lacking of cats and dogs. I have never once came home and found them off the stand... not even Baby and he is nothing but trouble.

Mine are either on the living room stand or bedroom stand, wherever I am. :D
~ Mikaela Sky

Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

I would love them to sleep outside their cages if they want, but theyve always put themselves to bed inside the cage. I also have a TINY unit there is nowhere else to put them but close to the kitchen. So its cage time whenever someone is cooking. They also like to chew flyscreens so I HAVE to keep an eye on them. That means, when they get up in the morning. I get up.

Your fids must be very well behaved! :lol:
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

My babies probably would too if the cages werent outside. Thats only when they are caged, when I let them play on the screen lania.

I know those beaks would go right through screen so they have to go in their cages if outside and I have to bolt.
~ Mikaela Sky

Peanut

Post by Peanut »

peanut did this really cute thing last night. he was on his play gym on the top of his cage. i said " time to go na night". he climbed into his cage and made kissing noises and muffeled "give me a kiss". aww. it was really cute. i hope he does that more often!
Bird crazy

Gilbert

Post by Bird crazy »

Is Gilbert enjoying being coddled? Realizes if he screams and acts scared you will rescue him and love on him?

But the sitting on top of his cage to sleep makes the fear seem real. He's about 6 years old isn't he? Anybody with mature birds experience this?
Maybe they are more likely to be skittish of new things as they get older.

Hope he sorts it out or the new cage could be a major trauma for him.

If we could borrow Peanut he could show our fids how to go to bed. That sounds way too cute. The kind of thing that squeezes your heart everytime you think about it. My two talk and repeat lots of things but have yet to say Nite Nite.
Sue
Rowdy Vos eclectus, Dolly Cockatiel
Nila Blue IRN, Priya Grey IRN, and Bigotes the cat
Kateykat

Post by Kateykat »

Two of mine do, two don't. Biscuit and Ollie pack themselves away into their cages the moment the sky grows dark (all my cages are left open now that they all play nicely)Pepper sleeps at the very top of the boing nearest her cage, and Silk sleeps on the shower perch attached to the kitchen window (she likes to look in while I am in there). The back room that their in is bird proof so I don't mind where they sleep.
Kate
Life is tough, and if you have the ability to laugh at it you have the ability to enjoy it.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Gilbert is 6 years old and has only become a sook since we got Yoda. He has ME trained for sure! I can now tell the difference between the different screams. There is a 'Come here!/I want attention!/ Get me my bell!' scream, then there is a 'CAT!/ Somethings wrong!' scream. (he will do this if somethings wrong with Yoda now aswell). :roll:

I sometimes leave the doors on the cages open. But after Gilbert being stubborn last night, I think I'll leave them open all the time. Cant wait to get this new cage with the gym ontop. He'd better like it. Hes sooo fussy! Yoda on the other hand loves anything I give him. I think hes quite happy here now.

Mik, this might sound silly but, what is a 'lania'? Is it like a verander? patio? porch?
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Yep PSchick... thats it!

See, thats how I am... there are no stupid questions, only stupid people left dumb for not having asked. I ask some really stupid questions but with eyes wide open and free of shame. :wink:
~ Mikaela Sky

Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

I see now! hehe. Must be an American word. Never heard it before. Learn something new everyday. :roll:
CatsChair

Post by CatsChair »

Lanai is a Hawaiian island that used to belong to the Dole family in the 1920's (of pineapple plantation fame) :P VERY cool place - Garden of the Gods is there, well worth the trip!

More parochially, it is a Hawaiian word and is a furnished veranda, often used as a living room.
MCS
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Like a sun room! I get ya.
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Lanai (without the okina) is the Hawaiian word for a porch or balcony.
~ Mikaela Sky