Bully

Moderator: Mods

Blues Brothers

Bully

Post by Blues Brothers »

Okay, so a lot of people here have more than one bird...and I would love for my Jake, but.

A friend of mine got a mini, canary yellow budgie (and it looks A LOT like a canary) called Gary, and because Jake has never had any bird friends I thought I would be a good mummy and organise a play-date/sleep-over so he could get used to other birds.

We let Jake out first, but he sooked and sat in his cage, so we wanted to see if he would come out and say hello to Gary...

Apparently, Jake is a bird bully :twisted: After about a minute of Gary sitting on Jake's (understandably larger) cage he (Jake) got really nasty.
He ran from his cage and went into attack mode, with poor Gary out of his brain twittering...they sat on opposite sides of the room (in their cages) and where let out on rotation after that...

But I don't want a bird bully, so what I want to know is if anyone else has 'experienced' this, and if anyone has, will he grow out of it? :lol:
Peanut

Post by Peanut »

my irn peanut was the same way when we got him. we had our cockateil about a year before we got peanut. when we introduced peanut he tried to attack and dominate our teil'. i was really sad and dissapointed. peanut just needed time to get used to meatball. we kept their cages in the same room and took them out at the same time to play and be held. now peanut mimics our teil' and tries to love her and clean her feathers. he just wont allow her on his cage. just give it time.
amber5683

bully

Post by amber5683 »

My IRN Jade is a bully as well. Loves to chase around the cockatiels and tries to rip out their feathers, loves to chase the dog and the cats around the house. She is definately getting a little better with all of them the longer she is around them and the more she gets to know them. They all can play on the floor together now without her attacking, but as soon as they come near me or her food the chase is on. It's actually kindof funny to watch this little bird chase around my 110 lb husky. Hope this gives you a little hope.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Gilbert used to harrass the poor cockatiels we had when he was a baby. He would kick them out of their cages and chase them up and down the stairs. (climbing each step, not flying!) We had to watch out for the birdie stampede when going upstairs!

But when I got Yoda in November, to my surprise, Yoda is the one who is the bully now and hes only a baby! Gilbert just doesnt stand up for himself.

So Gilbert is not a bully anymore. Hes the bullied! Poor Gilbert. He comes to me sooking whenever Yoda is around. :(
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Donna

Post by Donna »

It's actually kindof funny to watch this little bird chase around my 110 lb husky. Hope this gives you a little hope.

Ringnecks aren't naturaly social birds. In the quote above I just have to shake my head. There's an accident waiting to happen there. You should never let your bird around the dogs and cats. One bite from them could be deadly for that bird. It could happen in a split second. Sorry to be so blunt but dogs and cats are a natural preditors to birds so be careful.

Donna
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Donna wrote:It's actually kindof funny to watch this little bird chase around my 110 lb husky. Hope this gives you a little hope.

Ringnecks aren't naturaly social birds. In the quote above I just have to shake my head. There's an accident waiting to happen there. You should never let your bird around the dogs and cats. One bite from them could be deadly for that bird. It could happen in a split second. Sorry to be so blunt but dogs and cats are a natural preditors to birds so be careful.

Donna

Yeah: So many members swear their kitty or pup would neeeeever hurt their bird. Then post in rainbow bridge when the cat gets one scratch in or a pup sinks in one small tooth. Infection, death.

I got rid of all of my other pets because I know NOONE can watch four boys, four birds and do a great job at either... so they had to go.

Buddy is too a bird bully. :cry:

He loves people though. Get a bird near him and he wont rest until he runs it off the stand!

He needs no friends. :lol:

It has been my experience that bird bullies love humans and rarely bite or become aggressive. Likewise, birdies that love other birds tend to be less into humans. Its a toss up.

Without Baby, Peaches couldnt go on and vice-versa.
~ Mikaela Sky

Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Donna wrote:It's actually kindof funny to watch this little bird chase around my 110 lb husky. Hope this gives you a little hope.

Donna

Agree! I dont think I could ever own a dog now that I have birds. As much as they are cute, they can kill.
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

It doesnt even take a scratch... a kitty's saliva will kill a bird.

Its nature, God made it that way. Birds are suppose to be eaten by cats so the saliva helps in the actual kill. :evil:
~ Mikaela Sky

Bird crazy

Bullys

Post by Bird crazy »

My female Priya is the bully. She chases Nila and bites him.
I thought it would be the other way because I had Nila first. But she came home and immediatly let him know she is in charge.

But I do understand that IRN male/females have this type of relationship except in breeding season when the female decides she likes the male. But it doesn't last past breeding season.

Just a note on other pets. I do have a cat and I am very careful around the birds because my cat is an indoor/outdoor cat and hunts quite well when outside. But he's never tried to get any of my birds. I would never get rid of the cat because I got birds. But I won't get another one when this one passes. He's about 12 or 13 now.

Good to make the info known but remember your pets, your home, your decision, this board is full of individuals with individual opinions on how to train/feed/breed/raise IRN. However each person makes their own choice on all things and no one has the right to say you're wrong. Facts are facts such as a dog or cat bite can kill a bird, prey vs predators but what you do in your own home is your decision. And I for one would like to say if you have a question or funny anecdote please post it. I'd like to hear it and share a smile with you. :wink:
Sue
Rowdy Vos eclectus, Dolly Cockatiel
Nila Blue IRN, Priya Grey IRN, and Bigotes the cat
Mikaela

Re: Bullys

Post by Mikaela »

Bird crazy wrote:
Good to make the info known but remember your pets, your home, your decision, this board is full of individuals with individual opinions on how to train/feed/breed/raise IRN. However each person makes their own choice on all things and no one has the right to say you're wrong. Facts are facts such as a dog or cat bite can kill a bird, prey vs predators but what you do in your own home is your decision. And I for one would like to say if you have a question or funny anecdote please post it. I'd like to hear it and share a smile with you. :wink:

Very good... and true. I know I dont have sense enough to watch 4 boys, the house, business and 4 birdies so I eliminate the possible. :lol:

To the best of my ability anyway. hehe
~ Mikaela Sky

Kateykat

Post by Kateykat »

I have cats and dogs and birds and kids. The birds are separated from the other animals by two doors which are always locked. Sophia can see the birds through the glass window near the door, because I could never ever trust dogs,cats,kids near my feathered babes. I would feel to guilty if something bad happened and I could have prevented it.
Standing in my kitchen looking out into the bird room is kinda like being at the zoo, you know where you view the animals in their encloses through thick glass? Where you can look but not touch.
I can't have my IRN's and my tiels out together, the ringnecks play to rough
Kate
Life is tough, and if you have the ability to laugh at it you have the ability to enjoy it.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

What makes a bird a bully? Do all birds have this wanting to be top bird of the flock? Coz Gilbert has just 'given up' since we got Yoda. He doesnt stand up for himself.

Im just not a kitty person. We have next doors kitten come sit on our balcony in the mornings. Likes to watch our fids. Yoda was 'playing' with it yesterday morning through the glass.

Kateykat: I would love to have a bird room! One day when I can afford a house. Im getting one of those nice qlder houses with the veranders all around, sunroom out the back that I can turn into an avary attached to the house. *dreaming* With, IRNs, Alexandrians, Sun conures and Ekkies! (my fave birdies!) :roll:
CatsChair

Post by CatsChair »

Budgies are pretty territorial on their own. I have two large cages of them and they are always "fighting" over a perch. They don't hurt each other (I know other folks have had birds that physically fight) but are always fussing over the right spot, space at the food bowl, bite of veggies...you name it. I have not let them interact with my other species (confusing enough with 18 of them). Good luck!
MCS