Introducing IRN & new Conure

Moderator: Mods

Shelby

Introducing IRN & new Conure

Post by Shelby »

Well I'd wanted one for ages and tonite I lucked up and found a BEAUTIFUL 2 year old male Sun Conure for a steal.. someone moving and couldn't keep him anymore... soooo Rafael has joined our little family :)

Any suggestions on introducing them so we don't have bloodshed? Shelby is way way curious and will fly over to his cage.. so far nothing major but I don't want either one of them hurt.. and while Rafael is bigger, Shelby is nastier by far lol there's not an innocent bone, finger or feather on that bird, no matter how sweet she tries to act lol

Will they eventually be buddies and not have to be watched so close? Is there anything I can do to help the two of them?
~*~Donna~*~

Owned by:
Shelby - 16 year old IRN Girly
Rafael - 2 year old Sun Conure Dude

and more Arabian horses and cats than I wanna count!
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Welcome Rafael! Ive always wanted a sun conure. I just love their colors!
As for introducing them, I'd keep them separate for atleast a week or 2 (different rooms or a couple of metres away from each other) and slowly introduce them for an hour a day. But keep an eye on them incase of nasty bites. Keep a routine with your IRN so doesnt get jealous or depressed about the new arrival.
In my experience, IRNs are picky/choosey with 'friends' so you wont know if theyll get along for a while yet.
I'm still waiting for my 2 IRNs to get along or atleast sit peacefully together.
:roll: My 3 month old just 'scares' Gilbert by pinning and puffing up. Gilbert flys away quick smart. They havnt tried to bite each other yet. Just a look can scare my Gilbert. :roll: (and I thought he'd be the dominant bird being 6 years old.) So who knows, Shelby might be put in his place soon!
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Shelby

Post by Shelby »

Well I've got them sitting on stands a couple feet away from each other... but don't let them out at the same time. They haven't puffed up at each other or threatened.. Shelby acts more curious than anything. She's not clipped and has flown over to his cage when she's out and he peeks at her out of his bed.. it's hilarious.

For now I'm definitely not letting them out together though.. I just don't want either hurt.

Here's my new baby :)
~*~Donna~*~

Owned by:

CatsChair

Post by CatsChair »

What a beauty! Seems we have another outbreak of MBS (actually I don't guess we even had it die down). Congrats.
MCS
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Uhm wow, look at THAT Sun Conure... perfect specimen.

Enough said.
~ Mikaela Sky

Shelby

Post by Shelby »

Thanks everyone :) I thought he was gorgeous! I've been calling him "Rafael" but have a friend whose husband is Brazilian.. so we might try to come up with a more ethnic name for him lol
~*~Donna~*~

Owned by:

Bird crazy

Sun Conure

Post by Bird crazy »

Now he's beautiful. The colors are so pretty.
And they are clowns aren't they. And you have to let me know how noisy he is.

Now I want a picture of Shelby please. :)
Sue
Rowdy Vos eclectus, Dolly Cockatiel
Nila Blue IRN, Priya Grey IRN, and Bigotes the cat
Shelby

Post by Shelby »

Here's Shelby :)

Rafael is not real noisy, no more so than Shelby is.. he screeches when he wants attention but he's not bad at all. He's a little hand shy right now but I'm going to try to work through that, he loves to climb on you and likes attention, just is leery I suppose. He would run into his bed and peek out at Shelby then make kissy noises before hiding his face again..

Needless to say.. I was rolling laughing :roll:
~*~Donna~*~

Owned by:

Bird crazy

Shelby

Post by Bird crazy »

Oh she's pretty too.

Lots of yellow in your house. And 16 years old, she is now middle aged
isn't she?
Sue
Rowdy Vos eclectus, Dolly Cockatiel
Nila Blue IRN, Priya Grey IRN, and Bigotes the cat
Shelby

Post by Shelby »

As I understand it yes, don't they live to be about 30 or so?
~*~Donna~*~

Owned by:

Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Wow...gorgeous conure!

Dani
Shelby

Post by Shelby »

Thanks Dani :)

Regarding noise... I read today to walk away when they are screaming and only go up to the cage when they are quiet.... and yanno.. so far tonite it's worked. Well except for Shelby, she still does the IRN song ... and I'm just waiting now for Rafael to start mimicing that so that it sounds like we have two IRNs in the house LOL

But seriously... if he's screeching I don't go up to the cage.. and if I'm standing there and he starts I walk away. It seems to have clicked with him already... now he makes little clucking noises and he gets attention or a peanut... not nearly as much screeching as there was last night out of him :)

Oooh! And he let me pet him and scratch his neck tonite.. this after they told me he was very hand shy. I was thrilled :)
~*~Donna~*~

Owned by:

aprilv

Post by aprilv »

So glad to see they are getting along. They are both beautiful! We are going to pick up our new baby sun conure this weekend. Following your story makes me even much more excited. Please help me out with new tips as you learn! I read about walking away fron the cage also so glad that it is working. Was your ringneck hand raised? Ours is a bit wild still but he is coming along. Hope he likes our new baby! :lol: