I wanna be an Owl!

Moderator: Mods

Lauren
Site Admin

I wanna be an Owl!

Post by Lauren »

Sometimes when I turn all the lights out ready for bedtime Gilbert starts his high pitched screaming, he does this when somethings just not right. He will then want to get out of his cage and come to me for cuddles. I was thinking maybe he just doesnt want to go to bed. He's sometimes is still active well up untill 10pm and when I try to put a blanket over his cage he bites and holds the blanket like hes wrestling with me. :shock: So I've given up with the cage covers. He seems to act like a zombie, moving very very slowly just after a 'nightfright' which usually occurs if hes still awake when I turn the lights off. Hes now done this a few times now and seems fine if I give him a cuddle and put him back to bed. Do I have an owl or does he just want love and cuddles before bed? Has anyone had this behaviour in an IRN?
Most nights he also strokes his head very slowly, punches the air, waving his lil claws around while talking to his claw. He seems to reeeally enjoy it. Ive figured out that this means he wants a head scratch. :shock: Anyone seen this? Its hilarious!
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Because of my research and experience, it is my humble opinion that a ringneck does not want NOR need to be covered.

Please, reconsider. Put him night night, no cover.

Ringnecks have an innate need to 'watch their back'. They cant be aware enough covered and will usually NOT tolerate it.

I certainly wouldnt, bars are bad enough. Now, Im in the dark? WTF?

See my point? Doesnt work for most ringnecks and isnt recommended.

Others do it, cover their IRNs cage, course others may smoke crack or bungee jump. That doesnt make it 'right' or 'a very good idea.'
~ Mikaela Sky

iaowings

Post by iaowings »

I find with George that if I give him a little cuddle and a head scratch just before I tell him night night and then turn off the lights he does fine. He doesn’t like being covered this has always upset him at night. George is however unlike most irns in that he is super cuddly, very sweet, and loves my tiels. He is also very sensitive to change and other such things. If I don’t put him to be properly he will be agitated all night.

Every bird is different look at everyone here with their irns. Mik had the hardest time getting her irn to let her touch him wile all George wants is to be snuggled and cuddled.
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

I only cover the very top of Prinny's cage...

To each his own

Dani
ambros1a

Post by ambros1a »

we used to cover our girls cage totally, but now we do the same as dani i have a sheet, but its folded down to go over the top section of her cage and down the side, the front and back are for the most part open to see from its hard now, coz my partner and i work diff hours im up at 5am, in bed by 9pm at the latest (baby goes to bed between 8-8:30) then my partner gets home around 10:30pm comes to bed around 3-4am

i can imagine babys gettin much sleep, however soon i dunno what were gonna do, coz in the new year ill be doing that shift (2pm-10pm) with him, just not sure how thats gonna work puttin baby to bed... she may be asleep, but will be woken up when we get home / cook etc, her cage is in the lounge room, where the pcs are, we dont watch tv either.. its all on the pc, so you can see the dilemma
Cindy

I cover mine

Post by Cindy »

I cover my 2 ringnecks, but then I also have both of their cages back to back. This way they have each other under the covers...Mine go right to sleep! I used to cover them for a nap each day, but then they stayed awake at night..Now no naps, and they go right to sleep when put to bed....Sorry all that do not agree on them being covered...I have to cover them they are in the dining room and have to let my dogs out of their crates at night about 6pm...I am working on putting them in the back bed room at night...I have been given a great sleeping cage for Luna, but Mrs. B is the problem child...She won't step up unless she has flown to the floor...We are working with her and she is coming along great ...She was a rescue and I think abused some what...However, in just the last week, she is walking down her ladder to the floor and exploring...She helped to decorate the tree yesterday by shredding tissue paper every where. I just love watching her come out of her shell and finally become curious about her surrounding.
Cindy M. and the Flock of 8
Bird crazy

covering the cage

Post by Bird crazy »

My Nila wouln not tolerate a cover either and I tried for about month first fulluy covered then half covered then just on the top. He would never settle down until I took the thing off. Tried two different colors just to make sure it wasn't the color frightening him. Finnally gave up.

So my feeling is as Cindy

you learn your bird and you do what's best for it, plain and simple :wink:
Sue
Rowdy Vos eclectus, Dolly Cockatiel
Nila Blue IRN, Priya Grey IRN, and Bigotes the cat
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

We are all OWNED by our Chickies. :lol: I try to do anything that makes him more comfortable. No more covers for now. I live in a tiny unit block and I havnt told the real estate about our birds. Shhh! hehe I'm just hoping the neighbours dont mind the noise in the mornings. No complaints yet though. :wink:

If its a nice day sometimes I'll put them on the balcony with their cages half covered for some shade. Gilbert loves sitting outside talking to all the birdys that fly past. :wink:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year