Noooo! Psittacosis?

Moderator: Mods

Lauren
Site Admin

Noooo! Psittacosis?

Post by Lauren »

OK.. Ive done it, Gilbert is going to the avian vet on friday. Hes not well. Sneezing ALOT and sleeping ALL day! :cry: Im worried he might have psittacosis. I suddenly had a fever the other day and I'm wondering if he might have passed some virus onto me. :cry: He likes to give me kisses and lick my face before bedtime!
Im taking Yoda in too as Yoda has been eating Gilberts food and has taken over his cage. Im sooo worried! I spoke to the vet and they are going to be tested. Then a weekly injection for 6 weeks. :cry: I hope my babies are ok! :cry: :cry: :cry:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Kateykat

Post by Kateykat »

keeping my fingers crossed for both your little guys. I hope everything is ok hun!
Kate
Life is tough, and if you have the ability to laugh at it you have the ability to enjoy it.
CatsChair

Post by CatsChair »

Maybe just rebound from the heat, smoke etc? Thinking good thoughts!
MCS
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Hey, Im all about a good check-up but I cant tell you... Baby isnt being active this time of year either. I think the time change has them a little off.

See, time in relevant, man-made... non-exisisting. We created it. It doesnt exist in nature, in fact, it is against everything nature is about.

God gave us a clock. It gets light and dark.

He is also grumpier the past week or so. Cold here in Florida! 70's! We all have on fleece jammies. MMMMMMMmmmm cozy nights!
~ Mikaela Sky

Bird crazy

Hope it's ok

Post by Bird crazy »

We'll be thinking of you and yours. Hope they do well with a little medicine and all will be healthy and happy in a few days.
Sue
Rowdy Vos eclectus, Dolly Cockatiel
Nila Blue IRN, Priya Grey IRN, and Bigotes the cat
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

We'll be keeping our fingers crossed...hope all is well

Dani
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Thanx chickies, Ill give an update on friday.
Its just not normal for Gilbert to be sleeping all day. And the sneezing. Its like he has sneezing fits and blows birdie boogers. Ive tried to keep a routine with him and he has heaps of vegies and good stuff. Ive even put vitamins in his water everyday. But hes too smart for that. Wont touch it! I even took him water away for half a day so hes thursty but nup. Still wont touch it. So I 'trick' him in the mornings but puting water with some oats and mixing the vitamins into that. Then making it look like I'm 'eating' it. Of course he will come and 'check out' what I'm 'eating'. Its the only way i can get him to have the vitamins.
We'll see what happens on friday. :wink:
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

We went to see the birdy doctor yesterday. Gilbert had a big needle. :cry: Vet rekons he may have liver problems. But we wont get blood test result back till christmas. Gilbert was very well behaved for the doctor except for a a lil nip he gave the vet after having a needle in his jugular. I also bought some pellets for them. :D
More updates after xmas..
Bird crazy

Get well Gilbert

Post by Bird crazy »

We'll be thinking of you and hope all is well and it's just a simple
problem.
Sue
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Thanx chickies, Hes not munchin on his pellets! YAY! Vet said hes a healthy weight and very well behaved. Hopeing he'll get better soon.
CatsChair

Post by CatsChair »

That is a long time for blood work -- you must be so anxious! Hang in there; lots of good wishes going out to you all.
MCS
Mattls

Post by Mattls »

Sunni is very active at the moment. Moreso than normal.

Ptis chick try looking up Grapefruit Seed Extract on the net and buying some GSE from a health food shop. It has very beneficial uses for birds and heaps of uses around the home. It is pretty expensive though. We paid $22AUD for a 9oz bottle.
Cindy

Hmmm Liver problems

Post by Cindy »

Liver Problems can be caused by an all seed diet or to many fatty seeds (sunflowers) and not enough fresh foods...Along with vet help the BEST remedy is milk thistle and dandelion...This can be found in a product called Aloe Detox.

Milk thistle is an herbal which has been used for many years in the treatment of liver disease and subsequent liver damage. Milk thistle is able to alter the cell membrane, thus making it a powerful blocker of toxins that would try to enter the cells. It has the ability to protect liver cells and is able to block the absorption of toxins into the cells. Milk thistle provides nutritional support for liver function and it is a powerful inhibitor of those factors that are responsible for liver damage. One of its most significant attributes is its unique ability to stimulate production of new liver cells to replace those that are damage by disease. Milk thistle is thus able to have a positive effect on the management of liver disease.

Dandelion is another herbal which is used in cases of impaired liver function. The main part of the plant that is responsible for the effect that dandelion has on the liver are the bitter compounds found in the leaves and the root. These help to stimulate digestion and effectively increase bile production and bile flow from the liver. This increase in bile production aids in improving fat metabolism in the body. This then makes Dandelion an effective herbal with birds that have impaired liver function.

Aloe Detox can be purchased on the Internet. Just look it up by the name...Hope this helps.
Cindy M. and the Flock of 8
Bird crazy

Milk Thistle

Post by Bird crazy »

Just a note had a patient with Hepatiis C who used milk thistle successfully for years.

Sounds like a good product and it was available in my local walgreens when I checked on it. :)
Sue
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Thanx for the support and tips chickies! Milk thistle and Grapeseed extract are on my shopping list! :D

I dont know why he may have liver troubles, he gets ALOT of fruit and vegies and the vet said he's a healthy weight. :shock:

I could of had a same day test which takes 4 hours or a 10 day result test which vet rekons is best. Just have to wait the 10 days.

I picked up the wrong pellets too. Damm! I got pellets for cockatiels and lovebirds. But they seem to love it! Vet was selling Dr. Macs and Passwells. He told me to get Tropicana? Anyone tried these?
CatsChair

Post by CatsChair »

I actually use the same pellets for my tiels and IRN & both seem happy with it. You are so patient....I would be trying to culture chlamydia myself by now! How is he doing (aside from grumpy)?
MCS
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Hehe. I dont think i can wait any longer. When i went to the vet , he said you'll hear from me in 10 days but thats on xmas day! So i figure he might call after xmas.
Gilbert is still sleeping most of the day, not so grumpy. Hes been so sooky wanting cuddles! Havnt seen him sneezing in a while, which Im happy about. Hes also LOVING the pellets.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

We'll... Heard from the vet today, GOOD NEWS! Hes not sick. Hes lookin much better, finished moulting and is loving the pellets. Still a lil in active but its been hot down here lately. He seems to be a lil more active if I cool him down with a soaking of water. Doesnt like it much but I dont want him to overheat as we dont have air conditioning just fans! They reckon this summer is going to be hot and dry. Lucky us! More water restrictions and drouts.
Anyone have tips on cooling birds down?
ambros1a

Post by ambros1a »

i give them lots of cold fruits, otherwise ive got some sliced up mango chunks in the freezer for hot days, other ideas ive read is freeze a bottle of water and put it in the bottom the the cage to lick, ice chunks and other fruits other people may have more ideas but its late lol and i got work too early for a saturday haha im not thinkin right
Kateykat

Post by Kateykat »

So glad to hear he's not sick. The heat must really be knocking them round down there. Try him with a cube of ice maybe? Pepper and Silk are into chasing the cube around the table as it melts, Silk does it more just to annoy Pepper though. Spray bottles might help too?
How's little Yoda doing?
Kate
Life is tough, and if you have the ability to laugh at it you have the ability to enjoy it.
CatsChair

woo hoo......

Post by CatsChair »

I'm so glad to hear all is well. I'm not much help with the heat -- knock wood mine all seem to do ok when it gets warm here (though I did break down and get central air installed last week even though I only need it about two weeks a year). It is dry heat or muggy?
MCS
Bird crazy

Yeah he'snot sick

Post by Bird crazy »

So poor old Gilbert is suffering from the heat and nothing else

Yeah!!! I think the ice and the cold fruit are good ideas I'm so glad I have found this site. I read these posts and all this goes in my feeble brain and hopefully if I ever need the info I will beable to recall it.

Hope it cools off soon !!!
Sue
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Its been very humid and sticky down here in Victoria, unusual for Melbourne this time of year. Im so happy hes not sick. My parnter reckons I worry too much about my fids. But we can never be too worried. Hes looking alot better now. Both Yoda and Gilbert are doing well. They get a cooling spray with water twice a day.

How does your fids handle the humid weather during the summer? How much heat or cold weather can they handle?