Clipping wings necessity?

Moderator: Mods

sakib

Clipping wings necessity?

Post by sakib »

is it really necesary to clip a birds wings for taming the safety aspect i can understand and handle but can a ringneck still be tamed and form a bond with their owner if they have full flight feathers or is it simply just more difficult to handle if not clipped :?:
kimtoo

Post by kimtoo »

IMO--it is much easier to tame and bond with a bird that has had wings clipped--not a severe clip, maybe 5 flight feathers (on EACH wing)!, you still want the bird to be able to maintain some horizontal flight...otherwise they can really hurt themselves by falling like a rock from the cage, table, etc.

all of my birds have wings clipped (five feathers) at all times for safety. They can still fly across the room if they leave from a stand or cagetop....they just can't get any height, thus avoiding ceiling fans and windows
sakib

Post by sakib »

Thanx i guess that makes more sense i know there are two schools of thought on wing clipping i just assumed that clipping left IRNS with barely any flight i hadn't considered that there were different severities of wing clipping

now i get thanx :wink:
*mia*

Post by *mia* »

I got my Kalle at the age of 2-3 years and he wasn´t tame at all. I have never had his wings clipped and he is really tame now :D
sakib

Post by sakib »

thanx mia that is also pretty helpful i wasn't sure and still arent u guys have given me a lot to think about anyway still time yet

thanx guys
Gordi

Post by Gordi »

i never thought to clip my irn's wings but he got a little too much attitude so i had to. He is a totally different parrot. It is the best thing.
Shelby

Post by Shelby »

I love them with wings unclipped... Shelby swoops thru the house flying and really enjoys herself. I'm not sure I'd have the heard to clip them and take that away from her :roll:
~*~Donna~*~

Owned by:
Shelby - 16 year old IRN Girly
Rafael - 2 year old Sun Conure Dude

and more Arabian horses and cats than I wanna count!
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

It sure makes it easier when they are young and being trained. My baby Yoda has his wings clipped for now, but I will let them grow when he is trained and tamed. I did the same with Gilbert and hes fine. Comes to me and is easy to handle. I just hate the idea of a bird not being able to fly high. Birds gotta fly.. right? In the state of Victoria here in Australia it is unlawful to clip a birds wings until they are able to fly properly and only a vet can clip them.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

It's all in a matter of perspective...some people clip and some don't...aqll depends on you and the bird

Dani
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Why in Gods name would anyone want to try to tame an unclipped ringneck should be the question.

He is going to train you so get your sweats on. :lol:

Your only adding the 'almost more than one can take' frustration a ringneck takes you to. And yours will.

Not a one of us on here can say they havent got frustrated with their bird. If you do I'll tell you, youre a liar to your face. And thats a nice clipped sitting bird.

Now, add flight and the fact he is paying you NO attention, only bowing down to find his next route and you end up with an untrained bird, a frustrated owner and the classifieds.

I tend to be blunt, nothing personal. The more absurd something is, the harder I find any sugar to coat it with

*hugs you*
~ Mikaela Sky

*mia*

Post by *mia* »

Mikaela wrote:Why in Gods name would anyone want to try to tame an unclipped ringneck should be the question.

He is going to train you so get your sweats on. :lol:

Your only adding the 'almost more than one can take' frustration a ringneck takes you to. And yours will.

Not a one of us on here can say they havent got frustrated with their bird. If you do I'll tell you, youre a liar to your face. And thats a nice clipped sitting bird.

Now, add flight and the fact he is paying you NO attention, only bowing down to find his next route and you end up with an untrained bird, a frustrated owner and the classifieds.

I tend to be blunt, nothing personal. The more absurd something is, the harder I find any sugar to coat it with

*hugs you*

Both Kalle and Oliver have been trained whiteout been clipped, I dont think thats a good argument for clipping a bird.. And a baby bird should train it muscles and learn to fly befor you clip them the first time.
Kalle and Oliver knows what Nej (no on Swedish) means and listen to it most of the times. Yes I haft to go and get them sometimes when they are doing something that they should n´t..

Kalle, Oliver, Curre and the budgies is n´t clipped and I have no problem at all to handle them, no one of them have ever been clipped, I all depend on how you raise them.

Oliver have tried some times to take control but I won´t let him, I just make sure he sees me as the "boss". I think that something you must handle when you get a bird, they are meant to fly and should be allowed to do so..
ambros1a

Post by ambros1a »

after watchn that lil stunning lorikeet i wanted fly away from teh pet shop today, i must say i will keep all my fids clipped now..BOTH wings by a vet
sakib

Post by sakib »

Wow you guys have definatley given me a lot to think about still not decided but i think i am leaning towards clipping wings

thank you all for responding :)
Newbirdmom

Post by Newbirdmom »

Maya normaly has her wings cliped they are growing out right now and want them totaly grown befor I clip again. The girl I got Maya from choped all the feathers off and she used to land like a rock so this time I want it where she just glides down. Oh and with only the first 5 flight feathers on both wings this birds sure can fly good and she knows it. She is much calmer when her wings are cliped I can not wait to clip hers it is driving me crazy. She hits me in the face with the wings when she taked off. That sure does hurt.
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Mia:

Matter of preference, and I do believe I stated *my opinion*. As did everyone else, who ironically enough tends to agree clipping is absolutely a good idea during training and taming.

An opinion that was asked for. Being site admin, responding to posts is my job. Responding as we see fit, is our right. Outside not hurting anyone.

Your trash wasnt requested. You arent the Admin police and if you were... I wouldnt be on your force.

Dont start hun. Go back over to the mean girls if thats what you are here for. I wont tolerate you again.

:lol:
~ Mikaela Sky

fiona

Post by fiona »

I think it totally depends on the bird as Dani said. When fiona's wings grow out, her attitude definitly gets worse, So I keep her clipped. However, I have tamed 'tiels, 'keets and doves w/o wing clipping. In fact I dont think doves should ever be clipped b/c to me they are like giant finches. So it depends on the bird and their personality.
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Exactly, it isnt 'up for debate'.

It is 'up for discussion'.

As are all topics here. We dont debate on what is right or wrong. We share what we do. If others dont like what we do, they simply do it differently or not at all.

We dont start bash posts to debate why someone feels otherwise. We dont care if you or others disagree.

Listen or dont, we can only offer advice and Im certainly not here to argue the validity of mine, nor do I feel it necessary considering my experience.

And I wont. What are you thinking? :lol:

Lets get back on and remain committed to the topic only so I dont have to lock this post.
~ Mikaela Sky

Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Hmm...well I don't think Mia meant anything by that Mik. She was just pointing out that it did work for her...

Honestly...what is good for my bird may not be good for your bird...nothing is 100%

Dani