Introducing to eclectus....

Moderator: Mods

xo Missi

Introducing to eclectus....

Post by xo Missi »

Okay, y'all. This is the main thing that I'm concerned about.

Dani, Sue, iaowings, ANYONE else please chime in...

Please tell me how I should introduce Jasmine to the new irn? Since I am not bringing him home until Saturday, I want to have this technique memorized and down to a 't', if you will.

Both fids will need LOTS of hands on attention so I will have to have them out at the same time.

Any suggestions? PLEASE :wink:

Also, I know...I'm bad and skipping the quarentine but all of the Aviary's babies are innoculated against polyoma. The Aviary grounds are tested and clean of chlamydia (Parrot Fever, Chlamydosis) and PBFD and other diseases. When birds come in for boarding, they're taken striaght back to the boarding room. Noone is allowed to bring their pet birds into the Aviary to protect against disease. Also, I have to keep our fids in our room because the roommates don't care for birds :x
kimtoo

Post by kimtoo »

Missi

I can't speak to ekkies specifically but if you put the two fids cages near each other and let them get to know each other a bit (a few days) then let them out on their own stands or whatever in the same room (supervised, of course). You could then bring them closer together. Are you wanting to put them together on the same stand? I let my IRNs out on the same stand as my grey but they chase himm off so I try to give him his own space. I don't know how ekkies are with smaller birds-might depend in part on how fiesty your new fid is.
xo Missi

Post by xo Missi »

Not necessarilly on the same stand, I just want (and beg and hope and pray) that they'll be civil to each other while I have them both out on me (Jasmine is a velcro bird/attention whore :roll:). Tips?
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Ok Missi...I'll chime in here since I DO have experience dealing with this situation.

First suggestion (the one that most will recommend)

First off...I agree...place cages near one another and let them get used to each other. See if there is an hosility towards one...Do not allow them to have any interaction the few weeks. Take them out one at a time (or have you take one and Joe take the other) Don't let them get any closer than three feet.

After the inital 'get to know you' stage take both birds out (please have Joe there to assist if Jazzy or the IRN decides to get pissy) and place them in a neutral area (away from cages) on perchs. Slowly, day by day. get them used to being out of the cages and next to each other. Eventually you can move onto having them be near each other on say the couch...but I never really did this method LOL

Second method (what I did)

Me...I let them see each other for about three week with the cage by each other. I then took Prinny out first (because she is the 'alpha' parrot round here) and placed her on the floor. Then took Bodi out and sat down on the floor with them. I placed Bodi onto the floor next to me and let them get to know each other that way.

See I know Prinny...she wasn't going to do anything major. The most she was gonna do was to bluff at Bodi (which she did all the time) but Bodi would just shove her away.

For me the floor is a very very neutral place. Perches don't work for us, because my birds end up very possesive over them. So I figured the floor was the best place for introduction...no bird 'claimed' the floor. Yeah I know I am gonna get flack for that but hey darn it, it worked for me.

Occasionally there is gonna be squabbles, most of ours were started by Prinny. Bodi would gently shove her away as best he could. He never struck out at her but then again Bodi was the most docile bird ever. You can't predict everything these birds are going to do...NEVER leave them alone (DUH)

Dani
xo Missi

Post by xo Missi »

Super advice, Dani! Thank you soooo much. I will mix the 2 techniques and see which works best.

The reason I am so concerned is because when I had Jasmine and Buddy (remeber, the lovebird I had for like a month)...Buddy would fly on top her or run over to Jazzy and her would try to strike out and bite him. Once she did get a hold of him, scared the bejezzes outta me. I'm hoping that then irn will be a bit more stand-offish and not run to Jazzy. You know how lovebirds are...always hasve to be up un everyone's business. Jazzy is DEFINETLY the alpha bird in this household. Even over Joe (he is submissive to her :roll:) I doubt Jazzy would fly over to the irn like Buddy flew over to her, right? It's not really an ekkies personality to do that, right? If I have them both out on their cage...should I worry about her doing that?

I will flip out if someone gets bitten, though but I AM NOT afraid to break up a fight...bites to me are just pain and pain is just temporary. However, bites to each other (2 birds) can be deadly :?
xo Missi

Post by xo Missi »

God forbid something like what happened to that poor irn on BB happen to mine....or what an irn could do to my Jazzy's eyes or toes *shudders* I'm scared! I guess slow and steady wins they race, though, huh?
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Honestly I can't see Jazzy causing any problems...generally not in their nature.

The IRN on the other hand...keep an eye and do the best you can Missi. Eventually you have to let them sort it out...just make sure you are there to keep it down to just a rumble and not a total all out fight to the death.

Ekkies are generally very placid. How would you like a person 1/4 your size suddenly flying at you, wouldn't you react? Lovies don't mix well with other fids *rolls eyes*

Dani
Bird crazy

advice

Post by Bird crazy »

Not sure what happened to my earlier post, but I like Danni's so much better :)
Just wanted you to know not ignoring you I posted at around 1pm but it has disappeared :?

Hope it goes well
Sue
Rowdy Vos eclectus, Dolly Cockatiel
Nila Blue IRN, Priya Grey IRN, and Bigotes the cat
xo Missi

Post by xo Missi »

Okay, thanks for your words of wisdom, Dani. I love how you tell it like it is! It makes me feel comforted.

Sue, that's odd...Mik's spirit friend has entered our forum? When I logged in, it didn't show any new posts but I knew better and looked around. Just glitchy, that's all...yea. That's all.... :wink:
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Nothing to hide when it comes to my brain...do feel free to pick it all you want. My knowledge is yours so long as you ask...:P

Dani
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Ew, what time did I post of that 'happening'?

Lemme look, better not be around 1 am or Im moving dude.

-EDIT-

Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:02 am Post subject: Totally freaked the F out.

Shew. :lol:
~ Mikaela Sky