Boy...

Moderator: Mods

xo Missi

Boy...

Post by xo Missi »

I am going to have to re-read up on irn taming and training. Especially stepping up.......................
kimtoo

Post by kimtoo »

whats-up Missi? Somebody givin you a hard time?
xo Missi

Post by xo Missi »

Boy I can't keep a friendly secret for the life of me :D Actually...shh...I shouldn't have said that, no one guessed yet.....

Am I getting confusing?

Someone will have to be taught how to perch and stay and how to step up. That's all I'm saying :D
kimtoo

Post by kimtoo »

you did it didn't you???I thought you might be talking about the birds at the aviary you were working with,...but you are NOT!

PICTURES!!! You sneaky, cheeky girl. :D
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Kim let the cat out Missi...the jig is up...better tell the rest

Dani
kimtoo

Post by kimtoo »

why would you keep that a secret?? :(
xo Missi

Post by xo Missi »

:lol: I have not done it yet!!

OKAY THEN, here goes.....

There is a little green irn baby dollie (hatchdate May 1st 2006). There are 2 actually. Both bit the hell out of my hands. Tore them up, bled. I still handled this one, though.
Went back yesterday, of course, took a deep breath and grabbed that baby again (they're in tanks with one perch gotta grab from above) a bunch of flaps and sqwaks later and I had him in my arms (he was just dna sexed male). There he nestled calmly although his eyes were darting around. I scratched him every where. Not one bite this time. Not one all day long! Joe has been wanting another irn bad. I brought him back to the Aviary after he got off work and he had the same great results handling the little one. Fell in love.

He does not step up yet because no one besides me has been able to handle him. If I set him on a play stand, he'll flap and fall down. I imagine he just needs a quiet place to be trained calmly.

He does this little thing where, for the minute he actuall stays perched on my finger, holds his wings out big and proud. Like an eagle. I say to him, "Oh you are such a big, beautiful booooooyy!!" He also will lay on his back in the palm of my hand!

He's looking like a scrawny raggedy mess right now! Losing feathers left and right from a molt. Mainly on his belly and head. I see the vivid new feathers coming in underneath, though. I want to take him in before most of his new feathers come in so I can give him a nice varied diet and brighten him up!

The plan is to see how he acts this coming Saturday. If he still behaves, we're taking him home. If not then I'll keep working with him and maybe take him home some day down the line. The owner of the Aviary said she will cut me a nice deal on the little fella because he has been there so long and they were just going to send them back to be breeders.
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Yaaay! Another baby...pics please...

And bad Missi for hiding it! ;)

Dani
xo Missi

Post by xo Missi »

lol well it's because I am not yet 100% certain :wink:

Y'all know I am a picture whore :lol: I'll post pics as soon as I take some but I'm warning you...he's scraggly :lol:
Bird crazy

The cat's out of the bag?

Post by Bird crazy »

No it's a bird that's out of the little tank :wink:

We like pictures of wet birds, dry birds, fully feathered and not so fully feathered, moulting birds and non moulting birds

get it?

Just post the pics, don't wait till you bring him home, take a pic of him now. I took pics of Priya when she was in the store, remember?

another case of MBS successfully treated by what else getting another bird
:lol: :lol: :lol:
We should be doctors or something.
Sue
Rowdy Vos eclectus, Dolly Cockatiel
Nila Blue IRN, Priya Grey IRN, and Bigotes the cat
CatsChair

Post by CatsChair »

sounds to me like he has your heart...you just haven't let your mind know yet that you have another child (for sure!). Congratulations!!

Of course, I am trying to sweep bird seed and feathers on this lovely day with the Santa Ana winds blowing through the house. If you saw me, or the house, with things flying around like a hurricane, you might not believe a word that I say.

Respectfully submitted,
That crazy bird lady up the street
(she doesn't know we call her that, but she IS wearing a t-shirt that says "drugs are my life", so she might think it was a good thing anyway)
MCS
xo Missi

Re: The cat's out of the bag?

Post by xo Missi »

Bird crazy wrote:No it's a bird that's out of the little tank :wink:

We like pictures of wet birds, dry birds, fully feathered and not so fully feathered, moulting birds and non moulting birds

get it?

Just post the pics, don't wait till you bring him home, take a pic of him now. I took pics of Priya when she was in the store, remember?

another case of MBS successfully treated by what else getting another bird
We should be doctors or something.

Crud! I should remember to bring my camera to the Aviary! I won't get a chance to go in until Saturday (my usual volunteering day) and that's when I'm getting the little snot! So be patient my little darlings! Hopefully Dani will have her pics up before then as well!! :wink: :D

We are the all powerful MBS doctors!!

I got this thought in my head. I was going to sgtop at 3 fids total...but heck, if you already have 3....why not get more?!!!!!!!!!!! :roll: :twisted: For it's already going to be a "messy", loud, demanding household :wink:
xo Missi

Post by xo Missi »

CatsChair wrote:sounds to me like he has your heart...you just haven't let your mind know yet that you have another child (for sure!). Congratulations!!

Of course, I am trying to sweep bird seed and feathers on this lovely day with the Santa Ana winds blowing through the house. If you saw me, or the house, with things flying around like a hurricane, you might not believe a word that I say.

Respectfully submitted,
That crazy bird lady up the street
(she doesn't know we call her that, but she IS wearing a t-shirt that says "drugs are my life", so she might think it was a good thing anyway)

Hey now! I am an apprentice crazy bird lady in training!!
CatsChair

Post by CatsChair »

just let me know if you need lessons.... one of the finches just hatched a couple of fledglings today, so I am officially over 30 birds again (the magic cut off for what makes you crazy keeps moving....long long ago it was five or less).

If I just did not have to work for a living, I would have time for so many more animals.......
MCS
Bird crazy

Post by Bird crazy »

You guys just warm my heart.
I love crazy bird ladies, it's been my goal for years.
My hubby however acts as a restraint, kind of like a straight jacket :lol:
Sue
Kateykat

Re: The cat's out of the bag?

Post by Kateykat »

xo Missi wrote:
I got this thought in my head. I was going to stop at 3 fids total...but heck, if you already have 3....why not get more?!!!!!!!!!!! :roll: :twisted:

LOL! Yay! Well done on getting another fid in your house. BTW I used that very same thought on my hubby when I wanted to add that little baby grey IRN of Jeremy's.
MBS strikes again!
Pics! Pics! :lol:
Kate
Life is tough, and if you have the ability to laugh at it you have the ability to enjoy it.
Mattls

Post by Mattls »

Good work Missi!

Our record so far is 5 parrots (we housed about 10 finches at one stage too). Now we've given back the crimson wing as she's healed (was attacked by a dog), and our baby cockatiel died (she was only 6 weeks old and too young to come home with us) we're down to three. Getting another cockatiel this weekend though! (We're taming him for our cousing for christmas). Doing the old switcheroo as they're identical that way no one knows one died... Shhh!
Bird crazy

Post by Bird crazy »

Hey Kateykat,
let's steal this thread for a moment
How are you and the new little princess?
and when are Jeremy's babies coming home to you.
We will definitely need pics of all asap.
Sue
Kateykat

Post by Kateykat »

Hi Sue,
Thanks so much for asking, have been holding back on bragging about her! Keira is a great baby, so much easier the second time around. She is going to be a little fatty though, eats like a horse! I promise to upload some pictures soon.
I am hopeing to have my babies home from Jeremy soon, firstly because I can't wait to see them and secondly because having them here will hopefully stop me buying anymore toys!
Everyone on this board seems to be adding to their flocks lately, how cool is that?
Katie
Kate
Life is tough, and if you have the ability to laugh at it you have the ability to enjoy it.
Bird crazy

Post by Bird crazy »

Uh you'll also need to change your signature because it is now
2 sweet baby girls... right? Kiera and ???

Brag away, birdie babies are wonderful but real babies are way beyond that.

:D
Sue