Owning more then one

Moderator: Mods

Kateykat

Owning more then one

Post by Kateykat »

Ok yeah I admit that I am seriously tempted to run away with an extra baby IRN, its very hard to resist. I most likely (like 95%) will only have one but if IF IF IF I was thinking about it I should really like to know how people go with having two of these guys around? From what I have gathered seperate cages are a must. Right? To improve the bond with the owner (me), but then that makes me wonder does that mean seperate play time too? One out, one in cage? What about jealousy, agression towards the other IRN or the owner?
Quick someone give me bad news about owning two IRN's so I can stop thinking.... well maybe its possible......but their sooo cute
I need a slap on the wrist big time guys.
Kate
Life is tough, and if you have the ability to laugh at it you have the ability to enjoy it.
Jeremy
Genetic Advisor

Post by Jeremy »

Usually if you have 2, it is advised to keep them in seperate cages. But if they get along with each other, i don't see why they can't share a cage.
I have had up to 10 baby Ringnecks in a cage and they get along fine, some of them bonded to each other but they never lost the bond with me. I let all my babies play together.
I'll let someone else answer your questions, don't want to push you into anything :lol:
kimtoo

Post by kimtoo »

I have 3 ringnecks and wouldn't trade one of them....They do each have separate cages but they were not raised together 0r even aquired at the same time. What I was told by the breeder I have gotten a couple of birds from is that if they have been together as hatchlings/babies they can be kept together, however, if they are ever separated for any period of time, they may not accept each other in the same cage again--by this I mean if you housed them seperately for 6 months, thay would probably not be safe to house together again.

If you are ever going to consider another IRN--now is the time! Not to encourage MBS or anything but seriously, if you get two chicks from Jeremy that are housed together now-you could likely house them together indefinitely. Also, my IRN's share a playstand and plate of fruit and veggies with no problems. That is not to say that they don't occasionally run each other off a favorite bit of food but that happens even with bonded pairs.

So, far from discouraging you, I guess I am encouraging you to get two (if you think you might eventually anyway) while you have an opportunity to get two that are compatible, can be raised together, and come from a reputable breeder.

Good luck with your decision! Can't wait to see what you come home with :D
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

I will let you know that two of them means double the noise! Just ask our Jen LOL

Go ahead and get another while the first one is young. I'll openly suggest MBS...since I have a bad case of it myself

Dani
kimtoo

Post by kimtoo »

and three means triple the noise!!! ask me! :D well, maybe not...I only have one that calls, and calls....I think that is somewhat dependent upon the individual bird.
Kateykat

Post by Kateykat »

*holds head in hands*
Ooooohhhhh!!!! You guys weren't suppose to say that! I really really want to get that big grey that Jeremy keeps teasing me with photo's of! And you guys are supporting my MBS habbit? *looks at clock* hmmmmm hubby goes to work in a few hours, plenty of time to convince him that now is the perfect time to get another IRN.
:lol: God's its not fair. Parrots are like chips, you can't stop at just one!
Kate
Life is tough, and if you have the ability to laugh at it you have the ability to enjoy it.
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Um...some of us are willingly throwing out the suggestions...I have MBS and I am saying get another...once ya start ya can't stop

Dani
Datsun and Family

Post by Datsun and Family »

To be honest hun, while you have an amazing breeder with available babies I would jump at the chance to get two. I see no reason why they cant be housed together and they will look after each other and play when you cant always be there. The bond with you will still be strong, just handle them lots and you will be fine. Yes, in the future they *may* fight but worry about that then, worst case scenario you buy another cage later. I say GO FOR IT!!!
-Chamon-

Kateykat

Post by Kateykat »

I am getting another baby, the biggest grey. I couldn't help it I was powerless to resist. One of the main decideing factors was that we were always thinking of getting another ringneck further along down the track and since I like to have my fids out (the tiels share a play gym quiet happily) I would like them to get along. As soon as I have found a ladder I plan to set up my suspended rope playgym out the back (we have a glassed in back veranda), so space isn't a problem and I can always buy another cage if they decide they don't want to live together.
So now after the first few moments of guilt, I now feel pretty darn happy to be getting two beauitul babies.
Thanks guys.
Kate
Datsun and Family

Post by Datsun and Family »

YAY! Congrats! :wink:
-Chamon-

kimtoo

Post by kimtoo »

whoopee!! another fid in the family *dancing with joy*

Good call! *tapping foot* hmmmm, now we need pic's of the little grey baby! Jeremy?? put up mate, lets have those pics :wink:
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Yaaaay! Now get pics up...of both of them!

Dani
Bird crazy

Post by Bird crazy »

Hip Hip Hoorah!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

You're going to love having them both.
Good for you.

Sue and Nila and ???
Sue
Rowdy Vos eclectus, Dolly Cockatiel
Nila Blue IRN, Priya Grey IRN, and Bigotes the cat
darkcloudchild

Post by darkcloudchild »

I housed both my ringnecks together. They were in the same clutch and were never seperated We ended up with one of each sex and they got along great for the most part up until about a year ago. (They're 3-1/2 now.) Kozmo decided Loki stressed her out too much, so we had to separate them. They get along fine still though when they're out together.
Rena
Ringneckmom

Post by Ringneckmom »

I have ...lets see how many?.....
8 Ringnecks
1 African Ringneck
1 Derbyan
3 Plumheads

They are all housed in seperate cages which I think is better as they have their own space and then they come out and play together. I think having more than one is a lot of fun as they are so comical together. I think they also do really well with more than one.

You should enjoy them. :wink:
"Losing your hearts desire is tragic.. but gaining it is all you could have ever hoped for." ~ One Tree Hill
~ Clara ~
Bird crazy

Post by Bird crazy »

I would love to see a pic of an the african ringneck
Please please!!
Sue
Ringneckmom

Post by Ringneckmom »

Ok. Here is Simba.

He wasn't too thrilled about me taking this pic.

And here he is with his Derbyan buddy Indigo.

"Losing your hearts desire is tragic.. but gaining it is all you could have ever hoped for." ~ One Tree Hill
~ Clara ~
Bird crazy

Post by Bird crazy »

Wow, she is really or he is really neat. I hadn't seen a pic of one before.
The derbyan is beautiful too.
Thanks for sharing.
Sue and Nila and ???grey
Sue
chuffy_wuffy

Same problem

Post by chuffy_wuffy »

Hi,

I'm having the same thought as you at the minute. We bought little Sol about 3 months ago now from a pet shop and there was another ringneck in there as well that I'm considering going back to get but not sure if I should or not. Sol isn't exactly that well trained yet, he has a real hate of hands but will let you kiss his belly and pass him things balanced on the nose etc. He is very independant really and takes himself to bed when it gets dark. The thing is I know he should get on with the other ringneck as they were in the same avairy together and sat near each other etc.. but I worried if we get the other one they might not ever go back in their cages :D and if it will make training impossible? What are your thoughts? Just thought he would enjoy a little company really but very unsure what to do for the best?

What stage are you at kateykat with your ringneck and how long have you had it?
Thanks for your help!

Cheryl
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

God we are some sick... sick people.

We laugh about it but this truly *is* an addiction.

I havent had to pawn anything yet for a fix but Im sure I'll see a birdie one day and run to the pawn shop.

Now who does that sound like? A pure crack head! I have got to get us all some help.

INTERVENTION!
~ Mikaela Sky

Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

*giggles*

It gets really bad when the birds start to get larger...

Dani
Bird crazy

Bird addicts Annonymous?

Post by Bird crazy »

you realize Mik that you are asking the rest of us addicts for help with your addiction, not likely to get much help here, we're likely to say go for it.

Sue and Nila and ????
Sue
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

I know punkin... We with MBS suffer in silence. :cry:

I have searched for rehabs across the globe. Aint one for birdies.
~ Mikaela Sky

Melika

Post by Melika »

I like separating them before they are a year old. A recent clutch I handfed for a couple had three babies and I convinced them to get two large cages as they were supposed to give one baby away to a friend but they ended up keeping it for one reason or another. They moved the parents into one of the big cages, two babies in the other and the oldest baby got his own cage, the smaller on the parents were in.

We called them Porthos, Athos, and Aramis in order of age- I forget their real names. :? But Porthos didn't get along with the other two as babies so we told them flat out to separate him from the others. The other two get along pretty well but are not very good with people. Whereas Porthos used to be horrible with people and is now the most social. I believe this is because he is housed alone.

Anyway, just a firsthand example. You may find helpful.

Hane and Tsume, my and my sister's birds, are housed in separate bedrooms even and have totally opposite personalities but get along when out on the playstand or terrorizing the dogs.

It's funny how we don't like one another's birds, obviously our individual training had an influence on their personalities as well. My bird is much like my dog, dignified and well groomed- independant but social when asked to be.
My sister's IRN is dishevelled, spazzy, and overly excitable- just like her dog! And noisy too. :x

MBS difficult to deal with, I hear. I'd like to consider myself immune, but I know I'm not. My perfect feathered family would be Hane (IRN), a male vosmaeri ekkie, and a male green-winged macaw. But right now, I can only handle Hane- and I know it.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay