uhhhh really bizarre behaviour, scared the hell outta me

Moderator: Mods

ambros1a

uhhhh really bizarre behaviour, scared the hell outta me

Post by ambros1a »

any ideas or info would be a great help here, thanks in advance

ok, so last night we cooked dinner as usual (was just some steak, tinned peas/corn, beetroot, cheese and bacon/onion/tomato mix, so basically, nothing she should be having) came out to the lounge to eat in front of the tv, walked past baby, sat down, and within 2 minutes.. she was well, at first glance she looked like she was yawning, but it kept happening.
i thought mebbe she was gaggin coz thats what it was really startin to look like, my partner grabbed her and ran her outside to get some fresh air incase there was something around from dinner, she kept doing it for a few mins outside then seemed to stop.
has anyone experienced anything like this before, she didnt seem agitiated or worried or anything, like maybe she was tasting the air? or wanting (begging) us to share, and that being how they feed their young, it might have been her way of asking? lol
i have absolutely no idea wth she was doing, but i was about ready to call the vet and ask what could be wrong, ive never seen any animal do that kinda action unless they were sick.
Mattls

Post by Mattls »

Hey ambrosa my Sunni does that a couple of times a week; I've put it down to one of the following:

1. Trying to talk (unlikely)
2. Regurgitating (a bonding thing, but not likely as no food coming up)
3. Yawning and fascinated by the feeling
4. Some other form of bonding or gaining attention.

Not really anything to worry about, just one of those things. I've seen budgies doing this before too.
chuffy_wuffy

Post by chuffy_wuffy »

My little Sol does that too. I read in a book that it might be because the air is a bit stale so when he does it I tend to open a window or waft a door a few times just to get a bit of fresh air back inside. He tends to stop after doing this. Hope this helps.
Thanks for your help!

Cheryl
Bird crazy

Post by Bird crazy »

My Nila does it too. :) I was worried it had somthing to do with his crop being too full or something stuck in it. It feaked me out the first few times too but he never seemed to be in any distress and his crop has been ok so I guess it must be normal. Almost like a stretch but just of the neck and beak.

So that makes 4 of us that have seen the same thing, Must be ok, too much of a coincidence to be anything bad. How's that for sound scientific reasoning? :D

Sue and Nila
Sue
Rowdy Vos eclectus, Dolly Cockatiel
Nila Blue IRN, Priya Grey IRN, and Bigotes the cat
Melika

Post by Melika »

Hane usually does this when he's wanting to talk. I consider it a stretch for the beak. My tiel also does this before going into his routine of whistles and pretty birds.

Most birds I know stretch their beaks like this.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay