Playing

Moderator: Mods

Kateykat

Playing

Post by Kateykat »

I know my Indian Ringneck is just a wee baby now but I have been buying new toys and am picking up a new play gym at the end of the week. Also trying to get clearance from hubby to hang some birdie bungee ropes and boings from the ceiling. So I guess my question is at what age do they start to play, chew on wooden toys, paper chews etc? I know every bird is different with how much they play and what they play with but was wondering if there was an point where you could say yep, that's when my little guy started playing with things?
I will post some pictures of the new play gym when I pick it up on Sunday, I haven't seen it yet but it sounds very groovy.
Kate
Life is tough, and if you have the ability to laugh at it you have the ability to enjoy it.
Bird crazy

Post by Bird crazy »

Hi Katey:

I brought Nila home when he was 3-4 months and he started playing with toys right away, he was timid about climbing but has gotten more and more bold every week. It's been fun watching him change as he's gotten more and more confident in his movements.

Sue and Nila
Sue
Rowdy Vos eclectus, Dolly Cockatiel
Nila Blue IRN, Priya Grey IRN, and Bigotes the cat
Kateykat

bumpity

Post by Kateykat »

Just thought I would give this thread a friendly bump, I would love to hear from other people as well... the more the merrier.
And I will add some pictures of the new play gym I picked up last sunday past. I have got to get rid of the horrible blue twine on it, dangerous AND ugly a very bad combination.

See how beautiful my guest bedroom is? Lol we never have guests so its a storage room for all of our junk.
Kate
Life is tough, and if you have the ability to laugh at it you have the ability to enjoy it.
Typhon

Post by Typhon »

As far as playing goes, Typhon did it "right out of the box". Although a lot of times he just seemed to be angry at the toy and was just fighting with it rather than playing with it. But he did play at a month. I notice you have newspaper on his stand, do you have a problem with him trying to eat it? I cant give typhon anything without him trying to destroy it and eat it. Well i cant say for sure if he eats it, but it DOES make me nervous.
Kateykat

Post by Kateykat »

I plan on having pine shavings (or something similar) at the bottom of the play gym. My tiels were testing the gym out for me so that's why there is newspaper down atmo, the tiels won't touch it luckily.
Is there any particular type of toy Typhon enjoys the most? Like leather or wood etc?
Kate
Typhon

Post by Typhon »

He likes to chew on rubber-like toys more than anything and his ball, which he cant really damage. But i guess he likes the softer toys because it feels good to bite on them since they just bend to his bite? He gets really into chewing on them sometimes, making noises, climbing on them, etc. The only piece of wood ive seen him chew on was the perch he sleeps on. He chewed all the bark off of his "sleeping area" and now its all smooth. Guess he knows what he wants eh? Oh and my HAND seems to be a favorite to chew on, since hes "bluffing". He has really started to calm down about the biting though so he just sticks to his rubber toys.
Bird crazy

Post by Bird crazy »

Neat playgym. I have rope with knots on mine too and Nila loves to climb on it. As long as it's not loose that they can wrap it around their neck I think it should be ok. I guess there's the possibility of getting a talon caught I hadn't really considered that except I'm here when he's out and I would here if he were in any distress like that.

Sue and Nila
Sue
Rowdy Vos eclectus, Dolly Cockatiel
Nila Blue IRN, Priya Grey IRN, and Bigotes the cat