new noise

Moderator: Mods

savannahhorse

new noise

Post by savannahhorse »

I have had my IRN for 2 months now and she FINALLY acutally likes me...it took alot of work and a few tears but she is sitting on my arm and falling asleep. Anywho......today as I was on the net, she looked up at me and I swear she made a sound like a whinning dog. What does that mean if anything. I've never heard her do that. Also, she does this awful screaming while she is on her cage. I cant carry her around all the time, she stops when I go and get her. Anyone have any suggestions on how to get her to stop....thanks!!!!![/img]
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Baby does that when he is drifting off to sleep, if I talk softly to him. I think it is sort of like beak grinding (upmost content) but vocal.

Its a good thing, was the baby sleepy?

The way to get her to stop screaming is to IGNORE HER COMPLETELY. Make her believe you cant hear that sound and she'll stop making it. Ringnecks want desperately to communicate and dont waste time on things that dont work.

Ignoring her means to not even look at her. She doesnt exist at that point in time. Running to get her is instilling a guaranteed screamer. No doubt about it.
~ Mikaela Sky

savannahhorse

Post by savannahhorse »

Yes she was falling asleep on my arm. She was also pinning her eyes at me but not in a agressive way like she used to and made a funny little sound. The breeder lied to me about her age so when I got her she was 3. Its taken this long for all this to take place....
CarolinaWren

Post by CarolinaWren »

OMG!! she's cooing!! i MISS that SOOOOOO much ... Gina did it ALL the time with ME!! she just LOVED me ... Willie has only done it a VERY few times since Gina passed & i MISS it SO!!! flatten out & cooooo, cooooo!! *** sniff *** dialing 1-800-wauughhhh ***

enjoy it & send me some, too!!

Mik's right about the screaming, btw!! IGNORE, IGNORE, IGNORE!! :P

luv,

Last edited by CarolinaWren on Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune without the words,
And never stops at all

Emily Dickinson
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Yes, she was a happy baby is all. It was low pitched right? Not a YELP :?:
~ Mikaela Sky

savannahhorse

Post by savannahhorse »

its easy for me to ignore the screaming but my husband and son think that by yelling at her to be quiet, she will. So to avoid all the screaming and yelling I end up going and getting her. Bad thing to do huh?!
savannahhorse

Post by savannahhorse »

yes very low pitched, it kinda remined me of something chocking but not. Its hard to explain. She started grinding her beak today also....I'm at home right now until I get a job. We just moved to Missouri....so she is getting ALL my attention right now...But....sadly enough, I have to work..
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

But Hun... again THAT is the number TWO worse thing to do.

Then the birds know you hear the sound. Tell them either to get on board and live through it for a few weeks or move out. Because the bird is being taught to be a screamer.

And they are teaching it.

Those would be my options. They would not scream at my bird as to instill this behavior. I have had my rounds here hunny. Believe me. But Baby is still here and so is my ol'man so you do what you gotta do.

I love ya hun but unknowingly, ya'll are doing EXACTLY what it takes to create a screamer. To the 'T'.

Show him this. He might get it.
~ Mikaela Sky

savannahhorse

Post by savannahhorse »

OHHHHHHH good grief.... :cry: I knew it was not good to do that. Ok.. so when my husband gets home, I will have this discussion with him. He usually understands these things...Before we moved here we had a nice big house, now we are on post housing and its ALOT smaller...but I gotta do what I gotta do until I can get her to stop....She IS getting worse...and I am NOT helping...crap
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

I am sooooo glad you brought this to light before it got any worse.

Remember... ya'll cant hear that sound. She will find one more pleasant that you can hear and she is then rewarded.
~ Mikaela Sky

savannahhorse

Post by savannahhorse »

yeah....it'd be cuter if she would talk instead of scream....Do you think she is to old to learn to talk...
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Yup that is the number 1 way of getting a screamer...ya just have to live with it for a few weeks while you teach her not to scream.

Congrats on the taming of your bird...

Dani
CarolinaWren

Post by CarolinaWren »

:roll: coooooo, cooooooooo :roll: <<< Gina :cry:

:cry: wuz like a soft coo of a mourning dove. waaauughhhhh!! :cry:
And never stops at all

Emily Dickinson
savannahhorse

Post by savannahhorse »

ummmmm I've never heard a mourning dove :D j/k....it was cute though...I tried to let her ride on my shoulder but she tried to pierce my ear so I decided we were not ready for that yet.. :lol:
CarolinaWren

Post by CarolinaWren »

:cry: STOP!! YER KILLIN' ME!! :cry:
And never stops at all

Emily Dickinson
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Never too late to learn to talk. Just say the same things everytime you do the same action.
~ Mikaela Sky

savannahhorse

Post by savannahhorse »

when i get her to step up i tell her good girl....and when she lets me rub her head (which she NEVER let me do) I say good girl then to. I will keep working with her....thanks so much for the advice.. :D :D :D i really do appreciate it...
savannahhorse

Post by savannahhorse »

i'm sorry i dont mean to kill ya..hehehehehe :lol: about a month ago, i would have GIVEN her away. She just needed work I guess... right now she is in the other room screaming and i'm ignoring her. :P ...then she will stop and throw a few different sounds in...kinda cute,but kinda LOUD..she's cracking me up....
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Hun:

This is a huge challenge... a ringneck. This is why I work so hard in educating and supporting new ringecks owners. *We* work so hard*.

Had I not found this board, I would too have given up on my best friend. Thats is so sad to think about.
~ Mikaela Sky

Cindy

Savanahorse and screaming

Post by Cindy »

Oh, please DO NOt let her become a screamer...I am still have issues with my Baby girl and her screaming. Moving her cage to the window helped for awhile, but now the problem is back...Somedays I just feel like-----grrrrrrr----. But I refuse to give up hope...Now she has started to test us with trying to bite while changing out her food bowls..I let hubby be the victim, as he will let her get in her few bites and ignore her...She backs off, but trys it everynow and then...I just look at her and tell her "you better not even think about it"...She will look me straight in the eye and then move over to another perch...Please try everything you can NOT to let your cute little one become a screamer. God my head hurts this morning from yestwerday. It was a bad screaming day.
Cindy M. and the Flock of 8
savannahhorse

not as bad today

Post by savannahhorse »

Since yesterday...her screaming is getting less and less....I completly ignore her when she starts. So this am she isnt screaming as much. She is still doing that whinning thing...its so cute.....i just want to kiss her little head but she would probably take a bite out of my lip so we're not gonna try that yet...ha[/url][/quote]
Bird crazy

Screaming

Post by Bird crazy »

Just a thought on the screaming. I know you need to ignore the screams. Birds respond to drama, so she screams you scream to shut up and she's like wow that got a response so scream again and the cycle escalates and she learns I scream I get a response.
She's going to make some noise, she's a living breathing thing and morning and afternoon sometimes there's a natural time when they are very verbal.
But you have to replace that bad behavior with good. So when she changes from screaming to softer lower pitch noises then respond with your own whistle in a soft tone and if possible go see her. That way she will know what acceptable levels are and will begin to verbalize in your tones because that's what gets the response. If she screams when you're with her ignore her, turn your back on her. It's worked great with Nila. He rarely screams. If he does I ignore it completely but if he gives his little softer cluck and chatter I whistle back immediately and talk to him.

Hope that helps. Also could be the reason the bird is yelling when everyone else is watching tv is because she wants to be with them and see what they are seeing. Doesn't need to be held necessarily but If you have a play stand on wheels, wheel it to where she can see the tv too and I bet she quits screaming.
Sue and Nila
Sue
Rowdy Vos eclectus, Dolly Cockatiel
Nila Blue IRN, Priya Grey IRN, and Bigotes the cat
Xenobia

Post by Xenobia »

I agree with the ignoring thing.

Busey likes to get up next to me and yell for my attention.
When he does it I completely ignore him.
As soon as he makes a nice noise I lavish him with attention.

So... now he's learned that if a few yells don't work to remember to say "pretty bird" or laugh at me and that will get him the attention he wants!

Don't underestimate how clever these little boogers are!