Bluffing?

Moderator: Mods

Typhon

Bluffing?

Post by Typhon »

Hey guys. I got my green ringneck back in April...he was born in February if i remember right. Everything was going great with him...until now. The passed week or so i cant come near him. I cant even remove his bowls to change his water, give him more food, etc. without him lunging after my hand trying to tear it off. I have scars all over my hand from my attempts to get him back to normal. He gets all the attention in the world from me and my family, so i dont believe that would be the problem. He has been fluffing up, which i guess is supposed to scare me, and that is when hes really "pissed", i guess. Yesterday, i though i had lost him for good. Since hes been chewing on me and everything else, i hand him other things while hes outside of the cage...like a pen or one of his toys. He has a loose toy that he drags around that is plastic and in the shape of saturn. He hangs it on his beak and uses his foot to hold the bottom while he climbs around for a suitable spot to chew on and it ended up around his neck. He was flailing his wings, screaming, and jumping all over the place. He ended up on the floor with me trying to get ahold of him calmy, but he wouldnt have it. I grabbed a towel and used it to cover him up until i had ahold of him. I had to use the towel to get the ring off of his neck because he kept trying to bite the hell out of me. It took me an hour to get him to relax and come to me and even longer to want to go back to his cage. He was content with hanging out with me and listening to some music...rock...hes into Rush, Jimi Hendrix, Disturbed. I guess he is anyway, he chills out and runs to the speakers on songs he enjoys. But anyway, i was just wondering if him being so territorial, losing some feathers, and this quick change of attitude was him bluffing or not. He sure as hell has me fooled. Thanks alot guys.
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Man, thank god you were there! Nice to meet you and welcome.

Unless you have left the bird alone for a few days recently, sounds like bluffing to me. If I leave my bird, it hurts him deeply and he acts like that for a few days. These babies are sensitive.

At the top of the page, see seach? Type in 'bluffing' and hundreds of thread will come up for you, then you can decide for sure.
~ Mikaela Sky

kimtoo

Post by kimtoo »

just a thought...have his wings grown out since you got him? If he is fully feathered I would suggest a wing clipping at this time...until things are back to normal anyway.
Typhon

Post by Typhon »

I am taking him up to the Vet in a few days to get his nails trimmed. I dont think his wings are grown out yet...they look a bit ragged actually. They should be fully grown very soon though, since it has been a while. And i havent recently left him. The last time i was gone was back in June for a weekend and when i got home he was thrilled to see me and nothing had changed since the day i got him. I do start work in a week or so, but his attention getting shouldnt decline. He tends to just be very grumpy, not wanting to do with anything. Hes fine OUTSIDE his cage, but when i put him back on or in his cage, he immediately tries to bite me. Very quick turn in attitude from one second to the next.
Typhon

Post by Typhon »

Ive been trying that "Dont pull away when they bite" thing. I hope it starts to work soon...or im not going to have a hand left over haha. Ive got scars all over my right hand from him. Hell be playing with me one minute and hell bite the hell out of me the next. So i put him back in his cage for a minute then come back and try again. Yet he continues to bite me. I tried to grab the top of his beak while he bites me but it just makes him squirm and bite harder. I dont know if thats a good thing to try, but someone pointed it out in one of the threads that they will associate it with being stuck and may stop biting. Also i think he tries to "sneak attack" me. When i come into the living room and hes on top of his cage, He will run and hide behind his ladder (he has a playtop cage that has 4 ladders, one on each corner of the top of the cage), there is a space under each ladder where the screw goes and he ducks under it. Then when i approach the cage, he jumps out with his beak open...wth?

Edit...my 5 year old sister just got home from school and came into the living room and sat on the floor in front of typhons cage. He came right out of the cage, right to the floor, and was tossing the ball at her wanting to play. Hes been playing with her like nothing. Can it just be he prefers girls over guys?
stevie lee

parrots pick there owners

Post by stevie lee »

hey i have been reading alot you know our sweet pea ...really loves my girls, i am the mom she will take food from me however she lungs and runs from me ...when my girls come home she is a total different bird...
coos ahhhhh,pretty bird lets them rub her head
now dont get me wrong i do agree we need to teach them to trust /step up etc. even if they do have there favorites.
STEVIE :D
JEWEL
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Hey and welcome Typhon,

Sounds like you got a bad case of bluffing going on. They are so unpredictable during this time and sadly many people believe their Ringnecks have gone wild. This is not true. If your hands are that badly messed up, use a distraction. Toys work wonders or pens.

My female ringneck went through bluffing badly! I swear, I thought she was gunna be so darn mean for the rest of her life. It took, don’t quote me on this, almost 4 or 5 months for her to come around. I handfed her too! I used many distractions to help keep biting to a minimal. For example, if I wanted to remove her from her cage I would give her something to chew and quickly have her step up. If she did manage to bite me, I pulled my hand back enough to make her let go and then asked her to step up again. You almost have to put pressure on their breast and go pretty quick. Most Ringnecks step up if you do this.

You are doing well so far. Just remember, this is this so important, do not react to any biting. If your ringneck bites, no yelling, no flicking, or shaking. Those will not work and only make it worse. Just continue to do what you had in mind and ignore all biting or aggression. Hang in there and once this stage passes, you’ll have a friend for 20 or more years. Be consistent and patient!

Hope this helps and please keep us updated! :wink:

Best wishes,

Imran Chaudhry

P.S. Here is an article I wrote of bluffing.

http://www.indianringneck.com/bluffing/
Typhon

Post by Typhon »

Thanks alot for the advice. The only thing i do when he bites me is say No...usually pretty firmly because well....i just got the hell bit out of me and im not too thrilled about it. I have definitely been using the toys, but i havent been able to get him to step up at all, hell get the toy and chew on it, but then drop it to bite me. To get him back in his cage, i have to shake one of the toys in his cage or hit the metal inside it (i think he knows that means come to me, its worked before when i say it to him, hell run across the room to me) and he gets into the cage but goes right after my hand. He fluffs up majorly all the time. But yet when my sister is in the room, he plays great with her, but when i walk in, he runs from me, or tries to hide. I dont understand it. My sister was supposed to have a bird, but it died before it left the breeder so she has gotten attached to mine. Maybe it will be better off with her?
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Okay, you have to stop saying, “No!” I know it can be hard to keep quiet but you must. This is a huge mistake if you do not. In your ringneck’s eyes a firm “No” can be perceived as a reward. In turn, you unintentionally reinforce this negative behavior. You have to remember ringnecks do not understand our language at all. They understand our body language more. Any type of verbal scolding is usually exciting for the ringneck and many thrive off this.

Also, I must have not been clear for my methods of distracting. What I meant was, if you’re picking your bird up with your left hand, use your right hand to offer the toy to the bird but still hold it. While your ringneck is busy trying to remove the toy or play with it from your right hand, take your left hand and make him step up. Keep the toy in front of his beak at all times.

Work on doing this, your ringneck will come around. Believe me. Always reward him for stepping up without biting. A quick praise will suffice. Again, remember to only use y our voice for positive reinforcement.

Thanks for the update, :wink:

Imran Chaudhry
Typhon

Post by Typhon »

Ah ok, i have actually tried that a few times with the toy and getting him to step up. But once hes there, he seems to be uncomfortable and just shaky a bit. He acts like hes afraid of me, but ive never ever done anything wrong to him with the exception of the No's i say, which i will stop doing. Anyway, hes in the living room making all kinds of noise, but if i go in there hell just try to bite me. However i will go in there and try to get him to step up again. Last night i went into the living room to check on him before i went to bed and he jumped on the side of his cage and was trying to bite me THROUGH the bars...all i could say was wow haha.

Oh and i just read your article. Everything you listed there is exactly what i have been thinking and experiencing. Thanks alot for everything.

Alright, we just had about a half an hour of no bites and plenty activity with me. After i ate dinner, i got a bowl of grapes for me and Typhon. I came to the cage and showed him a grape and he wanted one so i handed it to him to see how he reacted and he took it calmy. The next grape i made him come out of his cage to get and while he took it from me, i made him step up and he did with no problems. He sat on me and ate about 2 or 3 grapes, smaller ones. Which was messy on me, but who cares right? Anyway, after the second grape or so he seemed like he didnt want any more and started to fluff up like he does when he is angry or aggitated. So i grabbed a toy and handed it to him and tried to get him to step up, but he would step back so i couldnt do it. After a few attemtps he finally got on my hand after i tried it with a grape. I took him back to his cage door, since he loves to sit on it while its open and continued giving him grapes while i made him step up, not for any reason, but just some practice i guess. He was fine for a while, but then started to not take the grape, but trying to bite me. The first one was unexpected so it made me jump back a bit, but the next few i didnt move, nor did i get bit...he missed. So hes relaxing in his cage right now chomping down on the last grape i handed him to get him back into his cage. Can i get a Grade on my progress? Haha thanks alot guys.
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Very nice to hear! You get an A +++! Really. You are doing everything right. Just continue what you are doing and continue to interact with him. Believe me, it can take days, weeks, or months for him to come around. Try different object too if you believe your ringneck shows no interest in what you are using to distract him with. Again, nice job and believe me he’ll come around! Can’t wait to hear your post after he is over this stage. It’s so funny when this stage passes, it is like a night and day difference.

Thanks for the update and continue to keep us posted! :wink:

Best wishes,

Imran Chaudhry
Typhon

Post by Typhon »

The only problem i see in the future is i will be working 10 hours a day, 4 days a week in the next few days or so. Id hate to come home and be so drained i dont really have the energy to deal with him trying to eat me haha. However i will try everyday...but i seriously hope he gets over this very soon, on the days im off i will make up for the days i have to work. Its a job ive held before and i was lucky to make it to the shower before i fell asleep when i got home. But like i said this may be the only thing that could derail my progress with him. Tomorrow i will try something different with him...can they eat cheerios? I think i have read in these forums that sometimes owners give them pieces of cereal...i guess as treats?
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

You have a good heart and good intentions... let the guilt go and be the best parront you can be.

People have to work hunny :cry:

Everything will be ok. Hey, leave a TV on please. Quite bores them. They pick up alot though so be careful what channel you choose. I put on PBS for my babies to be on the safe side. Wouldnt it be something to come home to your bird counting... very well could be a reality. Cant under-estimates these creatures.

My Baby actually enjoys and watches movies... I put them in for him. They are a trip.
~ Mikaela Sky

ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Yeah, unfortunately that is life and everyone has to work. Don’t worry, I would give your Ringnecks a quick handling for at least 15 minutes. Mikaela is right, keep the television on or the radio. Helps them kill time.

Best wishes,

Imran Chaudhry
Typhon

Post by Typhon »

I live at home with my parents and my mom is home during the day...she gives him plenty of attention. She gives him fruit during the day and talks to him and lets him out of his cage. I actually just got back from the pet store and got him some new toys. He seems completely wired about it and is running all over the floor playing with them while im trying to reorganize the toys he has to make room for the new ones. He kept trying to drag the smaller one back to the cage so i picked it up and hung it on the side for him until i was done. But now he wont let me near it haha. Hes been chewing on it for going on 20 minutes straight. So since hes being to protective of his toy, i havent been able to try to get him to step up...his attention has been narrowed to this rubber ball with a bell haha.

Also i just want to thank you guys for the input during this...seriously. This is a great place you have here. Keep it going.
Typhon

Post by Typhon »

Alright well 2 seconds after i posted my last post, i went to change typhons water...in which case when i brought the water back, he jumped onto the bowl that was still in my hand and gouged my thumb...badly. Im bleeding like mad right now and im a bit aggitated. Why the hell does he turn from one minute to the next? I know im supposed to stay calm during all of this but what the hell...one minute hes fine playing with me but God forbid i go to change the water he bathed in. The pleasant gift i recieve is this nasty bite...he bites alot harder than i thought. Its actually bleeding quite a bit right now, enough to need a cloth, if that shows how bad the bite is. Hes in his cage right now...im not taking him out for a while, he really aggitated me this time :? .
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Those freaky ringnecks. :cry:

Completely normal hun, but hurts yes. Treat it because they get soooo sore.
~ Mikaela Sky

Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Don't get mad or angry...remember that your bird is only acting like he normally would be in the wild...our birds are NOT domestic...and we gotta stop trying to force them to be.

If you own a bird you will get bitten...simple. Buck up and take them...don't feel hurt or betrayed because that's not what the bite was for. You did something...that clearly upset him. He tried to show you with body language, which you didn't, so you got bit.

Trust me it takes a while to learn your bird...each is different. You learn to back off or if they are just testing you.

*hugs and a band aid for the boo-boo*

Dani
Typhon

Post by Typhon »

I have found it hard to ignore him when im mad...so i ended up going back in and opening his cage. My sister came home and he jumped onto the floor and began doing his usual play catch with me routine for her. So he was fine..i brought him in some cheerios, but i didnt want him to step up on me or anything even though he seemed alright. I thought it was best to give him his space for now...and to give myself some space. He continued playing with my sister almost all night before climbing back into his cage to his usual sleeping spot on the end of his natural wood perch. So i dont know, i feel like we took a major step back yesterday when i thought he was happy and we were going to progress. Well...theres always tomorrow.
Typhon

Post by Typhon »

So after this madness is over...he will be fine? I will not have to deal with this any more?
kimtoo

Post by kimtoo »

see last post from kokkoweit (sorry, I butchered the spelling!)
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

They 'feel' what we feel. Then feed on that to defeat us. Smart cookies, they are.

If Im ready to give up, Baby feels that and keeps being a bad boy.

If Im bound and determined to make him follow through with a command, he does so very quickly.

We have strings on our back, as far as they are concerned... dont let him play you out.

Think baseball baseball baseball... ya know?
~ Mikaela Sky

Typhon

Post by Typhon »

Eh, nothing has really changed with him. Except hes been getting the nerve up to venture into the kitchen when were eating. I guess he likes watching his ball bounce on the kitchen floor because when he comes in the kitchen, the first thing he does is grab his ball and toss it across the floor, then chasing it and...repeat. He doesnt really want me to pick him up and he surely wont step on to my finger. However, he does enjoy playing with me, i think. We play catch and he will only chew on something if i hold it up, if its not hanging in his cage. So he comes around me with no problem and likes to wander about, but is he still in his bluff mode? About 4 days ago he jumped off his cage and ran at my foot (i was sitting on the couch watching the Colts game with socks on) and bit me pretty hard. I didnt see that one coming. But thats the last time he bit me. Besides his wild attempts to bite me when hes in his R n R mode. But i hope he might be coming out of this, hes been getting pretty brave and can entertain himself.
Typhon

Post by Typhon »

Since i started work he has come around a bit. When i walk through the front door and walk into the living room, he jumps onto the cage door and waits for me to open it so he can play. However, when he is on his cage, he seems to still want to bite me. But if he is on the floor playing and i walk up to him and hand him a toy or offer him my hand to step up on, he just looks at it or takes the toy from me. Maybe hes not bluffing, maybe just being territorial of his home? Its odd to me that i cant offer him my hand when hes on his cage but yet my sisters can with no problem. He has also found out the refrigerator is where all his food is from. God forbid someone open it when hes playing in the kitchen, he starts running towards it, sometimes squawking and waits for someone to give him something. Sometimes he gets something, sometimes he doesnt. When my mom starts to make dinner, he follows her around the kitchen like a dog, its very funny. She laughs and talks to him and gives him a piece of corn, a green bean, or whatever she is making and he politely accepts it. If he doesnt want to step up on me, then thats fine, im sure hell come around. I enjoy playing catch with him and tug-o-war. He seems very content with his surroundings. I recently added a mirror to his cage and he chatters to it and bobs his head up and down alot of the day. I just seemed confused as to what is going on, he loved to be with me before, then started his biting and will play with me, but wont let me near his cage. If hes on the floor when i walk to his cage, he opens his wings and runs at my foot trying to bite it. Which obviously means STEP OFF, so i back up. Should i not back up?
Mattls

Post by Mattls »

hiya,

in my opinion you're letting your fid get away with too much. Although it's great that hes' developing a personality and knows how to express how he's feeling; remember that he's your pet, you're not his pet. If my Sunni gets nippy she gets ruffled because i grab her and give her a scruff. She then very contentedly spends the next 10 minutes preening herself back to perfection. This has reduced her nippiness by a whole lot, now she'll only have a go at me maybe once a week if that.

Also, try showering with him, ringnecks adore showers and get very mellow in there.
Typhon

Post by Typhon »

Due to a family problem, we are taking care of my aunts 2 shih tzus temporarily. He seems interested and has no problem coming face to face and these dogs...i dont think will harm him. Anyway, he watches me play with them and calls for me. He seems more active and his feathers arent all roughed up now and today (for the first time in WEEKS) he walked into the kitchen, through the dining room and to me on my pc and tugged on my pant leg. So i got up and called his name and he walked out from under the table and stepped up on my hand with no problems. Could he be through his phase?! He JUST started doing all this when the dogs showed up. He even climbed onto the couch and into my lap today. But got awfully close to my face which makes me a bit uncomfortable...so he stepped up on my hand and i put him on top of his play table. TELL ME THIS IS GOOD NEWS.....PLEASE.
Bird crazy

Post by Bird crazy »

I'll bet the dogs being there made him think about how much he wanted your attention. :)

Just be careful with the dogs, even though they seem harmless they have teeth and one bite could kill your little friend.

And hopefully he's now through his bluffing stage and ready to move on to a more mature relationship. :?

Sue and Nila
Sue
Rowdy Vos eclectus, Dolly Cockatiel
Nila Blue IRN, Priya Grey IRN, and Bigotes the cat