PLEASE, please making the screaming stop

Moderator: Mods

Cindy

PLEASE, please making the screaming stop

Post by Cindy »

I know I haven't posted in awhile, but I have been trying to catchup on posts after the hack....Anyway, Baby, the older female rescue has started screaming....Screaming in the morning, screaming with/without fresh food, screaming in/out of the cage.. Screaming in my face when getting attention...Sometimes screaming non-stop for any hour......Now, my little yellow boy, Luna, is starting to scream, only sometimes . I ignore him and he stops...But the Big Green Girl yikes! I have tried ignoring her for the whole time she is screaming.. I have tried given her attention and she screams while she is getting...OK folks, what do I do now? Hubby is saying he can see why she has been rehomed a few times...I WILL NOT give up...NO...NO...NO....She still bites and will not step up on a hand,but progess is slow and she will step up to a perch...Please somebody hold my hand....Oh, we also have 3 new 5 day old baby cockatiels and one do to hatch anytime...God what a household! :cry:
Cindy M. and the Flock of 8
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Type 'screaming' into the search feature above. :D

I cant explain where the problem may be because you are doing the right thing... ignoring it.

Sometime in that birds life some idiot screamed SHUT UP and thus, created a screamer.

We wont give up either, PM Jen, she is doing better with a screamer.

P.S. Remember, ignoring means not even to look to that direction. Literally make that bird think you cant hear that sound and it will eventually find one you do hear. A pleasant one. Treat plesant chips.
~ Mikaela Sky

jen5239
Community Greeter

Post by jen5239 »

Cindy,
I feel your pain. I have two screamers and there are times when I want to chuck them right out the front door. But we all know that would never happen. I chuck myself out the front door to escape the sound. I don't know what to tell you to do but hang in there. They are wild animals and maybe this is what she wants to do. I've been told by a few that those are the screams of happy birds. They're just talking, enjoying their day. And maybe they are. We don't really know. I try ignoring and it doesn't work. They just continue to scream until they feel like stopping. Which really stinks cuz I have a TINY house and you can NOT escape the noise. And a husband who is addicted to stupid t.v. and if they start screaming and he can't hear his precious t.v. I feel bad. But it's a fact of life for me and one I have to deal with. I wish I knew what to tell you. Sometimes when Byndi is really going for it and won't shut up and has been going and going and going if I hold my arm up in the air she stops. Don't ask me why, but it works every time. I sit across the room from her cage and just putting my arm up in the air makes her stop. Maybe try rearranging their cages? Heck I don't know. I wish I could do more than just sympathize with you. But know you aren't alone. I deal with it a lot. Good luck and please don't give up on her. She needs a forever home.
Hugs,
Jen
Mattls

Post by Mattls »

Hi cindy,

I know a person who had a screaming ringneck, and i mean screamed all the time. She fixed the problem by making sure the ringneck got 10-12 hours a night in a dark room by herself to sleep, then first thing in the morning she gets a big breakfast and a shower, and after that spends the rest of the day happily preening and chattering. This might work for you. You can be sure that there is a reason your ringneck is screaming. It might not be you, but it is something.
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

You know... what Matt said rings a bell. When we go to Jville a few days a week Baby doesnt get his 'sun down to sun up sleep'. He isnt mean but isnt himself without it. When we are in the suite, he too screams a little where is never screams at home.

His girlfriend is Peaches the cockatiel so he uses her speech because she wouldnt learn his. Way more pleasant. Let your bird hear pleasant bird sounds. Play our videos. Get him a 'tiel as a toy!

Thats what my 'tiel is, Baby's toy. Not much good for nothing else. Sorry, not a tiel lover. They need better batteries. They just sit. Then sit some more and not even bother to change sitting places. So, I gave Peaches to Baby because he loves her so much.

I have no bond whatsoever with Peaches. I have learned if I dont hand-feed... I, myself, fail to bond.
~ Mikaela Sky

Cindy

Thanks ALL for you

Post by Cindy »

Well, I put baby's cage in front of the large window yesterday and for most of the day she was quiet! So I guess she needs more distractions..She has a ton of toys, but being a rescue I don't think she has ever really learn to play with them...Just recently she has started to pull on them...She is a hard one to keep busy, as I can only let her out on her cage...She won't do hands, no way, not at all...Not even if she flys to the ground...I have to offer her a perch and then she runs to it...As for getting her a cockatiel, well, we have 2 in the same room with her, and 2 lovebirds and 2 budgies, and Luna the male ringneck...I mean she is never alone....The only thing I haven't tried yet is putting her cage in the back bird/spare room to sleep at night...Right now she and Luna (in seperate cages) are housed in the dinningroom at night and then rolled out to the livingroom during the day...The cages are covered and they go down for sleep between 6:30pm/7pm, until 6:30am/7am ...Plus EVERYBODY gets covered for a 2 hr nap during the day...About 11am 12am -until 2pm...This is the time they start to fall off to sleep by themselves anyway..and i get at least 2 hrs peace during the day....Right now the window is doing the trick, I just hope it doesn't wear out LOL
Cindy M. and the Flock of 8
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Good mama... the window will do the trick for awhile.

Praise pretty sounds!
~ Mikaela Sky