Taming an aviary raised IRN that has not been handled

Moderator: Mods

annehas

Taming an aviary raised IRN that has not been handled

Post by annehas »

Hi,
I have purchased a young (not sure of the exact age) IRN a couple of weeks ago, described by the breeder as 1 week out of the nest and not handled at all.

I think it is more like 1 week out of the aviary. It has full feathers on wings, tail and body (except for a small patch of fluffy feathers on the back of it's neck). It is fully weaned and eating seed.

I tried catching and gentle handling each day for the first week with a treat, but the biting has escallated to the point of drawing blood. I do not react to the biting, simply waiting until it lets go, and continuing to talk to it in a soft voice, but I will now only handle it with a towel between it and my hand.

What method should I be using to tame it?

Thanks in advance.
Anne
InTheAir

Re: Taming an aviary raised IRN that has not been handled

Post by InTheAir »

Hi Anne,

I strongly advise against handling your bird against its will! By doing so you are disempowering the bird by ignoring it's body language (which is a huge part of how they communicate). This leads the bird to using flight or fight tactics.

If you search this forum you will find a lot of good info on how to develop a relationship with a ringneck. I made a diary on here about my aviary raised girl last year.

I used this method http://learningparrots.com/blog/trainin ... l-parrots/ and I did not get bitten once in the process, she didn't even want to bite me because I let her choose if she wanted to be near me or not.

Please stop grabbing forcing yourself on the bird and consider how you would like someone to build a relationship with you.

Regards,

Claire
ellieelectrons

Re: Taming an aviary raised IRN that has not been handled

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi Anne,

I witnessed how Claire went about taming her bird and she produced marvellous results. I'd recommend a careful read of that link she shared.

Ellie.