How Can I Stop My Young IRN From Biteing!

Moderator: Mods

Kate.24

How Can I Stop My Young IRN From Biteing!

Post by Kate.24 »

Hi there.

I have a young about 15week old IRN. He is extremely friendly and he loves being out of his cage but lately he has taken to biteing. He used to do it very gentle but now it's getting quite hard and is almost drawing blood. How can I deter this behaviour in a correct manner?

Thanks. Appreciate all and any help :)
Kate.24

Re: How Can I Stop My Young IRN From Biteing!

Post by Kate.24 »

Also forgot to add that he doesn't have any warning signs.. He doesn't fluff up or pin his eyes or anything. I think he is just interested and wanting to play with things and doesn't realise it's not good.

We always just pull away and say "no gentle" but it hasn't stoped him.

Just want to know how I can deter this behaviour

He tends to bite my mum the most because her skin is a little wrinkly and lose and he can just be on a shoulder happily and he will try the neck or shoulder or you can be sitting with him on your shoulder and he will move down your arm and try it on your hand. I honestly can't see any signs or reasons for this behaviour so if anyone knows how I can stop this I will love you forever :)
Melika

Re: How Can I Stop My Young IRN From Biteing!

Post by Melika »

These questions are always difficult to answer because it all starts with figuring out why he is biting.

Is it simply he doesn't know his boundaries? When Hane was young, if he nipped me like that, I would simply shut the cage door (don't say anything, because it can be attention) and turn my back on him, ignoring him. Sometimes I would even walk away. Birds know what it means when you ignore them. Some breeders believe chicks that are not raised with other chicks never learn that biting hard hurts. In a nest environment, they would learn when they nipped each other.

Some birds simply can't be safe on a shoulder- safe for the human I mean. Hane would bite me or my clothing or pull out hair, randomly and out of nowhere after sitting peacefully for some minutes (he still does if I let him sit on my shoulder). His brother, on the other hand, was perfectly happy just sitting on a shoulder and never did any of those things. I just don't allow Hane to be on my shoulder. He can sit on my knee though, as long as he doesn't bite holes in my clothing (he usually doesn't try to anymore).
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay