hand rearing

Moderator: Mods

eknight

hand rearing

Post by eknight »

Hi all,
Our baby is now 4 wks old and i'm going to start hand rearing. Just wondering what's the best time of day to take him out of the nesting box? Also when should first feed after that be and how much each feed? And any others tips would be greatly appreciated :-)
Melika

Re: hand rearing

Post by Melika »

eknight wrote:Hi all,
Our baby is now 4 wks old and i'm going to start hand rearing. Just wondering what's the best time of day to take him out of the nesting box? Also when should first feed after that be and how much each feed? And any others tips would be greatly appreciated :-)
I am very surprised- and upset that a breeder would let you go without telling and showing you these things.

Here is a general guide: http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... ?f=1&t=799

There are so many things that can go wrong, it's best to ask these questions from the breeder and get a hands-on demonstration.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
eknight

Post by eknight »

Thanks for the info.
We didn't get him from a breeder, he's from our pair that started laying just after we brought them so i'm just doing as much research as i can so i can do it right :-)
Melika

Post by Melika »

In that instance, I would probably just let the chick be raised by the parents, and take him/her a few times a day for human interaction. But that's a personal choice. :)

I hope that topic helps. If you can, ask a breeder if they can show you how it's done. That's how I learned, and you get lots of nifty tips and tricks that way!
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay