Help! Ricci keeps attacking me!

Moderator: Mods

Nez

Help! Ricci keeps attacking me!

Post by Nez »

ok so things are getting serious! I got attacked again this morning, worse than before.
I don't let Ricci out of her cage when Phil isn't there, as she won't step up for me and basically hates my guts! However this morning her cage was left open and she got out while I was making breakfast (Phil leaves loooooooooong before me) I heard her fly onto the top shelf in the kitchen, so I poked my head aroound and sure enough, she was out. Now Ricci LOVES the open cupboards - so many pretty shiny glasses in there to play with - so as soon as ANYONE opens a cupboard she will fly onto their shoulder. Anyway, I was trying to close the cupboard door before she flew over, but she beat me to it and flew to my shoulder. I must have put my hand up to stop her cos she latched on wither her beak and want letting go! She bit me twice on the hand - hard - I have 2 nice red marks and a lump that is bruising. She then flew back to the cupboard, then flew back to my back and grabbed me hard on the back of the neck. By this time I am deperately trying to get her off me and am flailing around like a mad woman! I foanlly succeed, and then have to spend the next 20 minutes coaxing her back into her cage by following a stawberry on a stick - I am subsequently late for work!
What do I do? Phil has NO problems with her whatsoever, she steps up, gives him kisses, lets him pick her up, scratch her all over etc. Last night I came home to find her on my dads arm (he only visits one night a week, so she barely knows him)!! She obviosuly likes males!! I am just worried - she is getting more and more aggressive towards me - if I so much as put a finger up to her cage she will fly at it, beak open. I gather it is normal for them to be cranky birds, but she is scary! Any suggestions appreciated!

bruised and battered Nez
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Have you clipped the bird??? If not get it done ASAP! Also if you any type of fear towards her she WILL sense it and attack for it...she is trying to establish her place in the flock and if this continues she will assert herself above you. You have to make her see you are the boss...be patient and loving but firm with her

Dani
xo Missi

Post by xo Missi »

I was also going to suggest clipping her wings, for many reasons.
Ducky

Post by Ducky »

I will agree you may want to try clipping her wings. Ducky was being mean to only me for awhile,until that is someone metioned to me here that it could be the fact that he now had wing and could fly. after I had him clipped he was a sweetheart again,last week he has realized they have grown out again,and flew to me and bit me right away so clip clip and he's back to sweetness.

Its worth a try :D :D
Ed Loschi

You got alot of bird training to do.

Post by Ed Loschi »

Clip that bird--and then make her do YOUR step-up commands, first with wood perches and then with your hand/fingers.

Be relentless about the step-up drills.

She'll get it; then you'll have fewer problems with the fid.
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Bird owns you, clips today.

As far as the latching on and all of that, dont take that personally... he was simply using his beak as a third hand because you made your shoulder unavailable and he was trying to land/perch.

He didnt intentionally attack you, I assure you.

I do know how it feels though... violent but thats because of all the flapping and stuff.

Like the genious I am, I put Baby under my shirt one day because he was seeming uncomfortable where we were. All was well, he liked it. I didnt have a bra on that day because, uhm... well... I dont need one. Nothing to put in one. But anyway, Baby decided he saw something pinkish he wanted to latch on to and did. He was hanging from it and it I screaming AHHHH STEP UP!!!!!

No scares but he doesnt go back under my shirt. Must have thought it was a berry or something. :lol:
~ Mikaela Sky

Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

:shock: OWIE...geeze Mik...what were you thinking?!?!

Dani
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Just wanted him to feel safe. Never thought a thing of it. Not like they are prodominate... didnt figure he'd notice.

But like 'bout every other man... :roll:
~ Mikaela Sky

Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

*falling on the floor laughing*

You're too much sometimes Mik

Dani
Nez

Post by Nez »

Thanks for the replies everyone, will definetely give the wing clipping some thought....Mikaela your story cracked me up, man that would kill!
This may be a silly question, but once you clip a flighted birds wings, the first time they go to fly, what happens? Can they fly at all, or just glide onto things?
surferdon

Post by surferdon »

Mik You are a true mother!!!!! :lol:
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Isn't she too cute sometimes surfer? We love our Mik... :D

Dani
surferdon

Post by surferdon »

She should almost do stand up I bet that she would be good!
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

I totally agree surfer... :P

Dani
Bird crazy

Post by Bird crazy »

I'd go along with the clipping too.
And Mik, I will never ever ever put Nila
under my shirt. I promise.

But I did have to get a tissue and wipe
my eyes over that one. What a hoot. :D

Thanks for sharing, makes me feel better
to know there are other people out
there who do silly things because I certainly do plenty.
Good not to take yourself so seriously you can't laugh too.
I needed the laugh. Thanks.

Sue and Nila
Sue
Rowdy Vos eclectus, Dolly Cockatiel
Nila Blue IRN, Priya Grey IRN, and Bigotes the cat
Nez

Post by Nez »

well im still in thought about the whole wing clipping idea, however ricci is getting worse - I now cannot even put hand in cage to change water. Tonight I opened the cupboard whilst she was out and she flew down and purposely bit me hard on the ear which really hurt!
She has found a new "spot" on top of one of the cupboards which is right up near the roof. She has rearranged it all and pecked out a hole in a box that was up there and is happily sitting in it all day if we let her. As soon as she is out of cage that is where she wants to go. Tonight when Phil put her back in cage she was almost manic, climbing round and round the cage, looking for a way out, and when he opened door, she flew straight out to her spot. Is this nesting behaviour? Im quite sure she thinks Phil is going to mate and raise babies with her as he cant go near her without her doing the "i love you" dance!! She even did it to our neighbour who she had never met before, but he is male. Help and advice welcome before I open the window and let her out!!!!!
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

And she will only get progressively worse.

She is learning bad behavior from the word Go. Please clip the UNTRAINED bird before it kills you or itself. :lol:

If you dont clip, you wont need to purposely open a window or door to let her go. That will take care of itself... given enough time. She is wild.

I am saying this with nothing but pure love but: You arent being responsible and you need to take this responsibility and make sure the unclipped/untrained bird gets clipped before it kills itself.

God tell me you have no ceiling fans or sliding glass doors.

Clip that bird hun. Setting yourself up for alot of 30 yr problems. And in the meantime, putting that scared bird through hell.

Full-Flight is for trained birds. IMHO

This isnt an option. You either clip and train or live like this. Those are your choices because it isnt going to get better for a very long time. Thats why we clip... as to train.

Sorry if this post reads wrong. I left my sugar at home today. Nothing to coat this with.
~ Mikaela Sky

Nez

Post by Nez »

Mikaela wrote:Sorry if this post reads wrong. I left my sugar at home today. Nothing to coat this with.

Not at all Mikaela, I imagine I am sounding exactly like the type of idiot I hate on horse forums I frequent - one that knows nothing!
I will get Ricci's wings clipped asap - I appreciate your "firm" advice :wink: Will she not feel the need to bite me more if she fells she cannot fly away from me? Also, will she know she cant fly when she gets home? Im worried she will try and fall! :oops: (sorry if these are stupid questions!)
But as per my question - is this nesting behaviour?
Last edited by Nez on Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Sounds more like scared bird behavior. :cry:

Ringnecks arent hiders, they are toddlers. I couldnt get my baby to set still if my life was riding on it. I would imagine many would have to agree. They are always into something and when they arent... they are looking for something to get into.

You'll see, the day she is clipped will be the day you get a brand new bird. I personally promise. :D
~ Mikaela Sky

Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Yep...you want to get those wings done ASAP...it can only get worse. Prinny goes from happy nice sweet IRN to grumpy flying monster covered in feathers...

Dani
nadeneliz

Post by nadeneliz »

allowing your bird to stay up in that box isn't a very good idea either.
it could be cause more hormonal behavior if your bird is an adult.
She may consider the box her nesting area and be extremely protective
about it. thus the violent attacks.
Bird crazy

Flying with clipped wings

Post by Bird crazy »

After you clip her she may take off but will go to the floor so best to put her on a carpeted area the first few times she gives it a try. She'll learn though. I have hardwood floors throughout my house and Nila has been clipped since I brought him home. He regularly takes off and lands on the floor, I go get him up and he stays on his cage or playgym for a while and then if I get out of site he goes to the floor again. He can't walk on the floor because it is to slick, his little legs slide out from under him. But he flaps around until he gets to something to perch on. Hasn't hurt himself yet.
Being on the ground is danger for a bird and they want to get up higher so the bird will be looking to you to rescue her. If you need to use a stick to start put it under her belly near her feet and say step up, push it back against her legs forcing her to step up onto the stick. Use the words step up every time, she'll soon learn the command. Then when you're ready you can use your hand, do not use just one finger extended. Use your four fingers tight together and tuck your thumb against your hand. Hope that helps. Let us know.

Sue and Nila
Sue
Nez

Post by Nez »

Well, we got Ricci's wings clipped today! She was highly unimpressed - even tried to bite her beloved Phil :lol:
Anyway, brought her home and tonight had her in computer room and guess what! She stepped up on my hand, first time ever! Except I think I blew it cos later she aws sitting on phils shoulder and I didnt realise and put my arm around his shoulder and nearly whacked her - got a bite for my trouble, at least it wasn't too hard! We shall keep at it I suppose! Thanks for the advice :wink:
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Yay!

I am so pro-clip.

Stick with us babe... you'll have an amazing bird! *We* all do so we must be doing something right. :lol:

As far as the bite, well you kinda got what you were asking for, you just didnt know it.

You didnt blow it. The bird was just chillin' and everything puts a ringneck on the defense. May have thought it to be a snake and was protecting your hunny.

That would be my guess. Just a thought, skip the nail polish for awhile, if you can. It will make training easier. Mine wasnt going well and it was because of my nail polish. Also, *most* ringnecks are scared shitless of red. Dont wear it! :shock:
~ Mikaela Sky

Bird crazy

afraid of red

Post by Bird crazy »

I did not know that was a general problem. My Nila ran away from dark red cherries like he'd seen a monster. So I broke it open and tried That really freaked him out. Good to know, of course I just received the flight suit I ordered for him and it's red. We'll see haow that goes.

Thanks for the tip.

You learn something new every day here that's why it's such a great site.

Sue and Nila
Sue
jobo2mi

Post by jobo2mi »

Mikaela wrote:Bird owns you, clips today.

As far as the latching on and all of that, dont take that personally... he was simply using his beak as a third hand because you made your shoulder unavailable and he was trying to land/perch.

He didnt intentionally attack you, I assure you.

I do know how it feels though... violent but thats because of all the flapping and stuff.

Like the genious I am, I put Baby under my shirt one day because he was seeming uncomfortable where we were. All was well, he liked it. I didnt have a bra on that day because, uhm... well... I dont need one. Nothing to put in one. But anyway, Baby decided he saw something pinkish he wanted to latch on to and did. He was hanging from it and it I screaming AHHHH STEP UP!!!!!

No scares but he doesnt go back under my shirt. Must have thought it was a berry or something. :lol:

OMG Mik!! :lol: I am ROFLMBO!!!! Just the picture of that .... hoooooo!! :lol:

But seriously, how do you stop a bird from BITING?!! I mean, Nala bites, and DRAWS BLOOD, she don't just nip, she takes a chunk out of me!! I used to be able to at least do step ups, but now..........no way! I want to work with her, but (bad me!) I am afraid of her now and I'm afraid she knows it! She draws blood EVERY time!! She won't use a perch, flies away. And right now I can't even catch her to clip her! How do I do that??? Toweling works, IF you can get close enough to do it. and she always manages to get her head (and that big red beak!) out and take chunks out of me!! I am at my wits end! She won't use a handheld perch, won't step up, HATES the glove! I don't know what to do!

People say push into the bite! Yeah right, she has literally made a hole in my arm before! And she just don't quit! She bruises and draws blood all the time!

I am just about ready to put her up for adoption to someone who knows how to handle a meanie like her!! I've tried the lower cage, different room, wooden perch, treats, you name it! Now what?!

I am so jealous of all you IRN owners who have cuddle bugs. My sun is like that, but Nala is FAR from that. ANy practical help??

ps - don't put your bird under your shirt again, Mik!! LOL :lol: :roll:
Joanne

and the fids -
Parakeets - Emma (RIP Bonnie & Clyde)
Tiels - Rosie, Howie
QP - Isis
Sun Conure - Precious
IRN - Nala
Caique - Timber
and the cat - BK