new irn

Moderator: Mods

beckihope

new irn

Post by beckihope »

I bought a 9 months old IRN yesterday and she doesn't seem to want to do anything. She sits in one place in the cage and is very quiet. I tried getting her out of the cage but she bites and tries to fly even though her wings are clipped, and makes this screaming noise. While being in the cage, if you go up to the cage she make this screaming noise. Could this be because she is stressed from being in a new place. If so how long would it take for her to become ok with her surroundings. Should i still attempt to take her out of her cage, as i bought her for a pet and would like to keep her tame.
julie

Post by julie »

hello ,was she tame before she came to you? they normally take a little while to adjust to you and realise that you dont want to hurt them.when we first got indie we put him in the computer room and talked to him and let him get used to us being there.where did you get her from a breeder or a pet shop? indie is very tame to us but (some)other people can not go near him.
jen5239
Community Greeter

Post by jen5239 »

Hello Becky,
Welcome to the board. Your bird sounds just like my Byndi when we first got her. She would scream her head off like I was trying to kill her. We've had her going on 9 months now and it's slowly improving. It took a lot of time, patience and tears to get where we are now. In fact I'd even found someone to take her. But at the last minute decided I couldn't give her up. I bought this bird and I need to be responsible for her. And we're now to the point where she'll let me give her scritches and she'll hang on my lap and the arm of my chair occassionally. She's still skitty but she's coming around slowly. They just have to learn to trust you. And that takes a lot of time. Just talk to your baby a lot! Try a higher pitched voice like you would use when talking to a baby. Leave the door of the cage open so it can come out when and if it wants. Don't force the issue. At least I didn't. I went at Byndi's pace. I didn't force myself on her. Others may feel differently about this. But this is what worked for me. Many recommend food. Byndi could care less about food. But you might see if any type of food catches his/her interest and use that to coax him/her to you. You are probably going to get bit!!! And it's going to hurt a lot!!!! :shock: Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt and go back for many visits! She's bit me so bad that I've bruised and swelled up. But it's worth it. Hang in there! It may take a long time! But it'll be worth it! I'll try to help as much as I can as I've been in the boat you're in now. If you want feel free to "pm" me with any other questions.

Good luck,
Jen
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

*giggles* See I told you Jen that you knew more about this than you were leading onto!

Also try pming Athena (mazziemom)...she's also one of our experts on this!

Dani
beckihope

Post by beckihope »

The bird is from a breeder who said she was tame, but she ain't. She won't sit on your finger or shoulder as soon as you put her there she flys off. (her wings are clipped) Can't go near her without her biting you. I managed to get her out of the cage today and she sat an arms length from me for 5 mins before flying off. Got a few bruises from where she been biting me. Just looking at her she looks all cute and innocent. Then you get her out. HA HA HA.
julie

Post by julie »

she may be tame but was bonded to the breeder,did you see the breeder handle her? if you went to see her when you brought her was she in an aviary or inside?
beckihope

Post by beckihope »

She was inside with another irn. The breeder had difficulty getting her aswell and she wouldn't stay on his finger either. But i had to have her because she was gorgeous.
julie

Post by julie »

i would say that she wasnt tame so you may have to start over with her,which means taking it really slow,getting her used to hands ect.
beckihope

Post by beckihope »

So how do i start taming her. Anyone who can give me suggestions would be brilliant.
Thankyou
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Hey Hun:

Start by sitting near the cage with a few treats. Talk very sweetly to the bird as if it were a baby in a crib. They respond to that pitch.

Get closer and closer until you can get him to stay on one place on a perch. Rather than fleeing from you. When you get to this point you are going to begin placing your finger against the birds lower tummy giving the 'step up' command. If he works with you (not fleeing and paying you attention, reward him. If he bites at you, you MUST TAKE THE BITE. No compromise here.

If you let a bird lundge and draw back, your done. The bird won and loses massive amounts of respect for you and your hands. Almost as severe as going back to stage one.

SO, REMEMBER, STAND STRONG, GIVE THE STEP UP COMMAND AND LET THE BIRD BITE YOU TIL YOU BLEED AND HE STEPS UP.

Thats how you initially train a ringneck. Show them you arent going to hurt them, let them bite the snot out of you and you will one day have an awesome, well-trained bird.

I know it sounds rediculous but as ringnecks are... nothing about them makes too much sense. Very bi-polar hehe.
~ Mikaela Sky