PLS(!!!) help with the biting!

Moderator: Mods

awesome-o

PLS(!!!) help with the biting!

Post by awesome-o »

Ok so my Ringneck is about 8 months old.. Charlie steps up when he wants... i can sort of pat him (when he's not looking) etc.. but he loves trying to bite me..

Now... Charlie is ok with taking food from my hands.. he also, climbs from his cage and up my legs to be near me.. so he isnt shy..

How is the best way to train him not to bite? A gentle tap on the beak along with a firm No?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
jen5239
Community Greeter

Post by jen5239 »

Hey Awesome O,
I wouldn't recommend tapping your bird on his/her beak. I just don't think they would understand what you were doing and it might cause them to try to bite you more. I would just firmly say "no bite" when you see it coming. When you don't see it coming and get nailed I would again just say no bite. You just have to be patient with these birds. And work with them. My Byndi was and still is a biter. If she's in a bad mood she'll still bite. She bit the snot out of me just a couple weeks ago and all I was doing was trying to get her to step up. It bruised my arm she bit me so hard. But I just told her no bite and that it hurt and put her back on her cage.

Good luck. And I am NO EXPERT so my advice may not work well for you. It's just what I do.

Thanks,
Jen
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Never ever strike or act like you are going to strike your bird! This will only damage whatever relationship you have. Use our search tool to look up the words BLUFF and BLUFFING...this is a period nearly all IRNs go through.

Dani
awesome-o

Post by awesome-o »

ok thanks guys!! I'll be very happy when the biting stops! lol
venus

Post by venus »

well my irn never bites me like the wa its biting ou but when she doesw bite me i just hold her beak and tell eher no or i put her away in her cage<-- that is the best one to me.
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Exactly right, great advice. Glad you found us because you need to know you cant train these birds like a dog or any other animal so put all you know about training away when working with your bird.

Also, they have feeling in their beaks and its very sensitive. If you've tapped too many times you may be S O L with that bird. It only takes one episode, even a mistake, and a ringneck will want nothing more to do with you. They rarely revert.

DO NOT touch that birds beak UNLESS its to stroke in gently on your lips or fingers or to kiss it. But if you have been poking at the birds beak and firmly saying NO then Im not so sure you will ever build trust.

They act like bad asses but must be treated like babies. A firm tone is too much for them, very sensitive birds. They arent here to please... takes massive patience and time. Hours of 1 on 1 hands on contact.

Good luck, wish you would have found us sooner.
~ Mikaela Sky

venus

Post by venus »

true ^^
surferdon

Post by surferdon »

My advice is take a shower with your bird, buy a perch for the shower and take a shower with him everymorning. The warm water turns these birds into a very mellow state. Start by rubbing his beak and then head. This gets him used to u and lets him know that it is not ur intent to hurt the lil guy! A big thing Do not show fear when he attacks this only gives them the confidence to attack more these birds dont understand that they can hurt you and until you react after a bite. So dont be afraid and move ur hand away. I found that it works quite well to move ur hand toward the bird when he/she is "bluffing" this actually prevents the bite! Good Luck :P
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

We have to remember that when a bird uses it's beak usually it doesn't mean harm! It is like a thrid foot to them and they use it all the time. Judge accordingly to what you think is too hard and let the bird know that pressure is unacceptable. Either do a gentle earthquake (wriggle your fingers) or put the bird down. Simple easy gentle and nice please!

Dani
Bird crazy

Post by Bird crazy »

I try never to pull my hand away, but if he's on my hand I dip the hand so he has to pay attention to holding on to my hand and if the pinch is hard enough to get my attention I frown and say in a low voice "I don't like that", All that combined and he pays attention pretty quickly. But if he's testing me and goes back to pinch more than twice I take that as a "I don't want you touching me right now" and put him on his play gym or basket. I do not put him in his cage because I do not want him to learn that if he nips he gets to go to his cage. I am no expert either and I've only had Nila for a few weeks but it seems to be working so far.

Sue and Nila
Sue
Rowdy Vos eclectus, Dolly Cockatiel
Nila Blue IRN, Priya Grey IRN, and Bigotes the cat
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Sounds like you are going fine Sue. We have to read our birds...we have to learn that when they say No it means NO...or we will get bitten. Simple

Dani
surferdon

Post by surferdon »

all sounds good to me!!! Great work