is he getting tame or just scared ??? help please

Moderator: Mods

nabz khan

is he getting tame or just scared ??? help please

Post by nabz khan »

My indian ringneck coco is about 6 month old he is getting tame i think but wanted to ask few things like when he is on his cage he wont step on my hand or when he is on my shoulder he wont if he is on floor or on the sofa or bed or anywhere else he will even if i dont day step up he will still step up but when he does i always say step up so he starts learning when he is on mt hand he stays there for a 30 seconds and then jump for my shoulder if i keep my hand away from my shoulder he sits and waits till hes close or sometimes jumps i wanted to know is he getting hand tame or is he just scared about 1 month ago he wouldnt even stop on my had so look better now i think and he lets me stroke him amd pet him sometimes he lets me hold his beak while i pet him but he still tries to bit time to time and always bites ends of my fingers
aliyaamelia

Re: is he getting tame or just scared ??? help please

Post by aliyaamelia »

I have a 5 month old ringneck in the taming process. Im no expert so if im wrong, correct me...but i think you bird is getting there. And why he jumps of your hand may be becouse hes just not 100% comfortable yet but curius about you anyway.

my ringneck was the same just a few weeks ago. even seamed a bit agressive for a while, she Would step up but only from some places, never from the cage and never from her playperch, would launch at me if i tried. (Biting is a way of saying back off)
Now she steps up from anywere no biting. And seems to always want to be on me or atleast close to me.
Still have a little bit of an issue with nibbling my fingers but i think thats out of boredom becouse it dont hurt. So i bought some foot toys to try and get rid of that.

Just try not to push the bird to hard. Speaking from own experience, it will only backfire.
give it time and your bird will come to you.
Seems to me like your doing good.
Wessel Gordon

Post by Wessel Gordon »

Nabz,

I agree with aliyaamelia. It does sound like you are making progress. Getting a bird to completely trust you and getting you to trust the bird is a very long process. The only advice I can give is to be very patient and consistent. Always accept what the bird is willing to offer you on that particular day/moment and don't ask for more. If he doesn't feel like doing something today he might feel like it tomorrow. The key here is patience (truckloads of it).

Regards,
Wessel
nabz khan

Post by nabz khan »

Thank you for the advise not been on here long but everyone on here is amazing and i get bitten alot but tell truth i am used to it now anyway thanks again i am getting more and more excited after hearing that what i am doing is along the right road thankyou :)
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

nabz khan wrote:Thank you for the advise not been on here long but everyone on here is amazing and i get bitten alot but tell truth i am used to it now anyway thanks again i am getting more and more excited after hearing that what i am doing is along the right road thankyou :)
A good rule to follow is if you are getting bitten, stop doing what you are doing! It means you are doing something they don't like. I didn't get bitten at all when I was making friends with my parent raised irn.

Try reading this http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... =2&t=18946