my irn hates me!!!!

Moderator: Mods

sarah

my irn hates me!!!!

Post by sarah »

I've had my bird for about a month and a half. he was nervous at first as i thaught he would be, but i was hoping to have made some progress by now. It just seems that he is scared and my attemps to tame him have made things worse. hes still young about 4 months.
He comes out of the cage when i open the door but when i come around he trys to get as far away from me as possible.
ive tryed to use a perch to get hiom up but no luck.
I would love any advice or information anyone might have. :?
janew

Post by janew »

Hi sarah your bird is still very young,it is a bit scared of you,hands are pretty scarey at first,just keep spending lots of time talking to it and singing and making a fuss,some take a long time to build trust.Dont give up, things will get better.I spoke to kiki a lot around the cage at first and then put my hand in and kept it still and spoke to her,I did not attempt to touch her,just wanted to get her used to me being in her space.I found a millet spray worked a treat for getting her to stay out and me to be beside her,she loves it so much and was so focused on eating it she forgot about me.Good luck I am sure it will all come together soon,they are so clever and once the trust is there they learn ever so fast. :)
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

You have to be extra patient with these birds! Talk with Athena about this...or Jen. It takes trust and patience and plently of love from you! Sometimes it takes YEARS for them to trust you fully

Dani
jen5239
Community Greeter

Post by jen5239 »

Hey Sarah,
I feel your pain. Believe me I do. My Byndi was older when we got her and we've had her almost 9 months now and she's just starting to come around! She still won't let us "hold" her. She will only sit on your shoulder and that's only if she wants to. She's just started letting me give her scritches, about a month ago. And when she's had enough if I don't pick up on the hints she bites me. As a matter of fact I'll post a picture of what she did to me a week ago....

Now mind you this is a week old. But she was full of attitude and I was trying to get her to step up onto my arm, as she will have nothing to do with hands. If you look closely you can see the two marks where her beak got me.

I used to think Byndi hated me too. And I cried and cried over this. And posted and posted. And the wonderful board members got me thru it. They assured me she didn't hate me. She was just not tame. She wanted to be loved but didn't know how to trust me or ask for it. As Ms. Dani pointed out. Many suggested I "take the bites" and for the most part I have. As you can see from the picture. But I'm letting her set the pace. We go with what Byndi wants. I'm not forcing myself on her at all. And it's taking a LOT of time. But it's how we're doing it. Hang in there. Your bird will come around. You just have to give it time.

Hugs,
Jen