changes in ringneck overnight?

Moderator: Mods

scottishkate

changes in ringneck overnight?

Post by scottishkate »

Hiya

I've seen a few topics about indian ringnecks suddenly changing to hormonal biters overnight but Ecco seems to have changed in a slightly different way, he seems more clingy and skittish, he used to love trick training but now seems really distracted, I have also noticed his eyes are now beginning to pin - hes a very young bird. he used to sit tall on his training perch but now seems to constantly duck down and as if hes frightened of something, however nothing has changed, I always wear the same clothes to train him and no furniture or anything has changed, could this be the bluffing stage even though hes not biting? I think he is about 6 months old.
Also as I write this something else springs to mind, he had developed a big obbession to the white lid of his treat tub, he will fly around with it and play with it constantly and even if its the other side of the room as soon as he seems it he goes barmy for it. and has become much more vocal, I just want to make sure that he is okay

Thanks for the help in advance :)
Donovan

Re: changes in ringneck overnight?

Post by Donovan »

bluffing happens a lot earlier and it manifests as more of a negative attitude toward you.. and from what i can tell it's a pretty short period ....

At least I think that's how it works...

Sounds like your bird is just growing up and starting to get a mind of his own... try training something new and less routine... or try a new place.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

I agree, he sounds perfectly normal.
Wessel Gordon

Post by Wessel Gordon »

It could simply be that he just needs a new challenge to stimulate his mind and interest.
scottishkate

Post by scottishkate »

Thank you everyone I feel more relaxed now, he's such a clever chap that he probably Is bored with learning tricks and perhaps he would prefer some games instead, does anyone have any suggestions, my macaw loves peek a boo but Ecco doesn't seem too keen on it
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

i have a bird who wants to play peekaboo more than get treats...

I'd say a good game is to just give them a toy and play a little back and forth with him.. if he knocks it to the side then you knock it to the side...

anything to keep him engaged in an activity.

i've got two birds.. one plays fetch pretty well, and i'm teaching it to the other one now... right now he just gets the ball and drops it... if i happen to catch it i give him a treat.. if i don't catch it because he drops it too soon then he gets nothing... he's starting to catch on I think...
Sometimes I miss it on purpose if i've caught it too many times in a row.

You could also look into buying some foraging challenges for him..toys that function like a puzzle in order for him to get the hidden treat.
SunniDai

Post by SunniDai »

Foraging activities are great! My fids seem happiest when they have something to shred or tear apart :)
~Dana